My Oven/BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Oven/BBQ

Here's an alternate route about 3/4 of the way down the page. May not be what you want but may start some ideas....

MHA News - 2006 Meeting - Backyard Oven with Peter Moore Has an oven that vents from the front to the back via a brick channel on top of the dome.

This oven had a of the topics we've been talking about lately incorporated into it and then some.....

Christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Comment

Yes I saw that, thank you, that?s what I was thinking about,
      But then the cleaning part came in.
      Looks like after some time,
      I will just have to clean it with a sledgehammer.
      AND THAT MEANS
      The next home owner will have to clean it (hahahahaha)

I see that they sell a stainless steel flex pipe as a chimney liner.
      What about that kind? Ridged or flex, once it?s covered in refractory mud, then it?s a cement pipe? Or are the gasses that hot?
      I have looked at the oven and can settle on a more strait up designL
      But it dose not fit the vision.
      It?s raining here today, so I think I?m going to look into this chimney thing a little more. Any advice is as always most appreciated.
      Thanks.
      Leepin

Comment

Its Done.....
        now I just sit and look at it
        For how long???????????
        heres some new pic's

Leepin.

Comment

It appears you plan to apply a vertical chimney pipe at the rear end of that horizontal run. Will you temporarily apply the vertical pipe (perhaps with bracing wires or rods) and test the draw of your chimney prior to fully cementing in that horizontal run?

Comment

yes I am, Maver,
            the run is only to the middle of the dome
            it's all going up, and looks like it will draw (from the smoke from my cig)
            but I plan on eatting before I insolate, so if its no good I will take it out and go strate up in the front like every other one.
            can I build a fire today???????????

Comment

Fire in the hole ... [was] My Oven/BBQ

Originally posted by Leepinla View Post
              Can I build a fire today???????????
              But, of course. Follow the curing fire instructions and enjoy.

J W

Comment

Well then Here we go.

Comment

That 3rd picture shows the smoke layered in the oven (before the temperature gets too hot for smoke as it will with your later fires) - I like it. Also, same picture, your oven entrance picture shows good work with the way you tapered up the vent, a good picture for other oven builders to look at. Now you are starting to have fun with fire! I bet as you get the oven hotter the chimney will heat up and draw more efficiently so you don't continue with the "leak" of smoke you have out the front opening as seen in the first picture.

Comment

More flue would help the draw as well. Is the plan still to go upward from the center with more chimney?
                    - JC

Comment

Sorry to bud in here but I have a question for JC. You say more flue would give a better draw? I have almost finished my oven , I am using 8" stainless pipe 1m vertical 45 deg joint then 1m on the 45 diagonal then 45 deg joint then 1m back up at the vertical. This is to go around an outdoor porch roof rather than through it. The pipe is fabricated but I havent put it up yet, do you think it will draw OK? My curing fires the smoke went up the vent (without the pipe) pretty good. I am a bit worried that with so much pipe and the diagonal it wouldnt draw well.

Comment

#3 curing fire went well.
                        One small crack on the outside of the vent, (not bad)
                        After all curing fires I will fix the crack
                        The dome looks great (no cracking at all)
                        Bricks will burn clean todayJ
                        Leepin

Comment

Re: My Oven/BBQ & taller vent is good

(B)
                          Originally posted by beammeup View Post
                          Sorry to bud in here but I have a question for JC. You say more flue would give a better draw?

(M) I agree with a taller flue. Virtually every posting I've read also supports that view.

(B) I have almost finished my oven , I am using 8" stainless pipe 1m vertical 45 deg joint then 1m on the 45 diagonal then 45 deg joint then 1m back up at the vertical. This is to go around an outdoor porch roof rather than through it.

(M) I also had to jog, but for a different reason. I wanted to avoid contacting my ridge beam. Click below to see images of those flex elbows:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...t-6-a-413.html

(B) The pipe is fabricated but I havent put it up yet, do you think it will draw OK? My curing fires the smoke went up the vent (without the pipe) pretty good. I am a bit worried that with so much pipe and the diagonal it wouldnt draw well.
                          (M) Just the opposite. A taller chimney keeps a distance from your fire so that turbulence won't send smoke back down and smother your fire. Also, when the metal flue gets hot, it keeps the smoke rising.

(M) You may have some initial smoke out the front of your oven before the flue gets hot enough. Once you have a roaring fire you should have hardly any smoke, even out the vent!

(M) I will be attaching a metal shroud this spring to direct the smoke around the roof peak and when I do, I'll post pictures of it.

Ciao,

Marcel
                          "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
                          but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

OK thanks Marcel. Leepin what kind of clading is on the outside of your fire bricks? Concrete or some refractory material? That crack looks pretty substantial. How much time did you give it before your fires? I'm asking because I havent had any big fires in mine yet, so I'd like to try and avoid any cracks as I already applied the insulation layer (5"-6" vermicrete).

Comment

The crack is superficial; it runs on the outside of the vent
                              I have no insulation on the outside of my oven yet.
                              So it will be easy enough to fix, plus my chimney pipe seems too small,
                              (Too much smoke out the door) so I think I am going to go with 6? pipe all the way up
                              it is now 6?X10?X6?to a 4?pipe X 5?
                              Will a 6? pipe work?
                              Thanks
                              Leepinla
                              (pics to come)

Comment

Ok, the crack was from the cold weather and a fire to soon. (I could not help myself)
                                So out come the hammer, Chip off bad cement, and put in a bigger flu. (6?)
                                Thanks
                                Leepin

Here are some new photos before the mud it in.

Comment

Working...
                                X