My first oven - Alan Scott style down under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first oven - Alan Scott style down under

That's a great looking oven Alex. The niches on either side of the arch are perfect for placing your beer where it won't get knocked over...and you have even designed both left & right handed beer holders!
    Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
    (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Hey guys,

curing fires - i have been lighting small fires for the last couple of weeks every day or two...building them up. im ready to crank it now...going to give it a big firing this saturday night and see how it goes...but its been a week before the first curing fire...then 2 weeks worth of curing fires....should be ok. safe than sorry!

haha thanks re: the beer holders. its actually the reason i left it there....to put stuff on. like the infrared thermometer...gas lighter...beer...utensils...beer...rum...beer....

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        Wont the steel lintel over the door opening be a problem with expansion?
        in short if its a angle section then no the steel wont melt and bend (its only 400 or soo mm wide as long as it goes into the brick far enough but a flat section may sag but again it wont break

400 degrees isnt enough to melt steel

im using a steel angle at the entry to my oven (where the dome tunnels down) and it going fine with oven 70 firings so far

cheers

Comment

As many Alan Scott-designed ovens have been built and remain operational, if lintel expansion was a problem, it surely would have been identified and rectified by now.

Comment

If done as designed, it is a loose lintel and should not cause an issue.

Comment

"What else would you do if not using a steel lintel?"

Cast iron would be a better bet than steel. But I don't think you are going to have problems with your lintel.

"400 degrees isnt enough to melt steel "

No it isn't. Melting temperatures for most steels are in the order of 2500 F, but, steel will start to loose its strength at temperatures as low as 450 F. (depending on the type of steel). Cast iron will show no signs of weakening to 1000 F or more , well beyond any temperature likely to be reached in the lintel area.
              Last edited by Neil2; 12-18-2010, 03:33 PM.

Comment

with spans where talking about the lintel will be more than fine and in some cases stronger than and arch (and a brick arch is only as good as the bricky laying it) and for it to fail it realy has to pull out of the ajoining brickwork and if that happens the bricks would off moved somewhat

and if that happened i think you have more troubles than a lintle bowing

Comment

alexi
                  Nice render... real earth look....
                  Steel lintal... Yes I have them I'm "masonary impaired" so a brick arch was not to be. The only problem I can see in the future is rust, Im on the coast so anything rusts especially if its heated. I'm prepared in the future to tap it out and replace it (i have a piece in the shed just in case). Hasn't been a problem to date and when cleaning the oven I just wipe a little cooking oil on it. keeps it from rusting till the next fire

Regards Dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                  X