Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" Corner Unit - Phoenix

Hey Dave,

Glad to hear about the oven. Now there will be 2 in SE Gilbert!

As for the bricks - I bought my floor bricks from marvel and found they had bellies on them which left gaps. I was planning on edging them, then came to my senses - I could spend way too much time doing that!

My dome brick came from an old powerhouse where I work - got it for free. Just having to chip old mud off the bricks which is pretty easy after a quick dunk. The bricks are almost 100 years old, so some history in them!

I am using the mud recipe posted on line - have a line on good refractory mud which I am planning for the dome. I really like the way it sets up and is pretty darn sticky.

I will probably not complete the oven befor Thanksgiving as previously planned - such is life.

Just got to watch the overnight temps as they are dropping fast and the cement does not properly cure below 40. Backup plan is for a mini-tent and a halogen light to keep it warm over night.
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

- I just started laying brick and have mortared the soldier row. Here is a pic of the dry fitting. I am using the "Home Brew" mix, a home depot bucket, and a grout mixing paddle that I have used on a half dozen other projects (for anyone who doesn't have one of these paddles.....I would highly recommend getting one as they save sooooo much time and energy).

Dave

Comment

AZPizzanut.....how is the build coming along? Are you tapering the sides of the brick? I am about 90% sure that I will be.

C5dad....thanks for the warning with the temperature. I will defiantly pay closer attention to this. Btw, between you and azpizzanut you guys are killing me with the cheep/free fire bricks. My wife was less than thrilled with the $400 that I dropped on the fire brick from Home Depot the other day.

Comment

Hi Dave,

I'm taking a little time off from building the Pompeii, so covered the hearth with a tarp. I need to concentrate on another project that is nearly finished. I'll be back to it soon though.

I'll taper the top of the bricks to start the angle of the dome but not the sides, then continue with simple half bricks. In the end, there seems no difference in performance.

Your HD bricks look like some I bought from Marvel Supply. They will be incorporated into the dome with others of different colors. I used smooth sided red bricks for the hearth.

Here is a tip I learned about removing uneven edges of hearth bricks so the peel doesn't catch. I used a carbide grit coated attachment for my multi-tool to abrade the edges in only a few seconds on each offending brick. (Harbor Freight sells a "Multi-Tool" that takes a variety of carbide grit coated attachments). A belt sander will work too but the multi-tool allowed me to concentrate on just those few bricks that needed work. I finished up the smoothing with a diamond coated flat hone, that I just happened to have on hand, from a knife building project. It made the smoothing go faster but wasn't really necessary. A piece of coarse sanding belt would have done as well.

I have a Photo Bucket account now so will post photos soon.

Cheers,
          Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

The next morning

Comment

dtrbovich

I am wanting to do something similar like your foundation and would be interested in what your measurments where. I have an octagon shaped wall around the area I want to put my 42 inch oven.

Thanks

Comment

Starting to get the hang of laying the brick and about to start on the arches

Comment

mbabcock,

This drawing should help you. Keep in mind that I made my foundation 2" larger (on each side) and that I also eliminated the pizza landing area (to reduce the overall size). Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Dave

Comment

mbabcock,

I just realized that the drawing that I just posted does not show the design modifications that are shown in the pictures. So.....I have attached a revised foundation plan and another drawing which shows the dimensions of my enclosure (done on Goggle Sketch-up). I have attached the enclosure drawing because this shape (for even the foundation) might make sense for you based off of your original post. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Dave
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

I noticed alot of great foundation designs other than the typical square. I like how yours will allow side additions. I built a brick/stucco wall around a large area of my patio a few years ago and formed an octagon shape which is where I was going to put a firepit. Change of plans after finding this website

Now I am limited on foundation size in order to properly fit into this shape without looking bad. I have only started drawing up sketchs and still need to figure out whether to tie the floor foundation into the wall with rebar or just keep it seperate and run expansion joint against inside wall.

I counted your blocks and came up with an estimated size, but could not see how far your stand was inset from the edge.

Much Appreciated.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...stove-area.jpg

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...9-pb260012.jpg
                      Last edited by mbabcock; 12-01-2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

It should be a fairly easy task to reach pizza cooking temp in AZ. In the summer you are only slightly cooler than the face of the sun ; )

Enjoy your building jounrney.

Comment

AZPizzaNut,
                          I'm still working on laying my padio for an outdoor kitchen in S. Chandler, I saw you mentioned someone in Litchfield who has firebrick, do you happen to still have a contact for him? I found fire brick at the Ocotillo HD, but the Chandler store doesn't stock it, seems pretty hit or miss. They were 1.22/brick.

Cheers,
                          Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,

The firebrick at the Ocotillo HD is half the price of the same thing at Phoenix Brickyard or Marvel/Border. I'd consider it at $1.22.

The fellow in Litchfield has a Craigslist ad. Search for "brick" (in Phoenix) and scroll to Dec. 4th. He has a photo. Bricks are scattered all over his lot but the lower right pic shows a sample stack. I went through those he had in another location and picked out some with at least one clean face and sharp corners. It is used, light colored brick, made in LA, and stamped LAPBco.

Cheers,

Bob
                            Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Marvel is charging $1.60+ for yellow brick as of a couple weeks ago - they are proud. When cutting a HD brick, I noticed it made a finer mud than the yellow bricks I purchased for the floor.

Marvel is the closest place for fireclay at about $15/bag.

Rob, if you would like, I have a bucket of firebrick mud - mostly solids available. I used the water in the bucket (from the tray rinsing) for making my homebrew. I live in SE Gilbert, so not too far away.
                              Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

After a 6-week break, I have started working on the oven again. I battled the front arch a little but I am pleased to say that I am not only done with the arch but also the transition over the arch. Here are my most recent pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X