X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike D
    replied
    Re: The build has begun!

That does not look Like a small fire in the pictures. Is that after you finished the curing process? Looks good though keep it up. I am looking forward to seeing how you are going to finish the outside.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

I did develop small cracks on the outside of the dome but after reading some other posts its nothing to worry about.

I finished framing up the oven and then it was time for the first pizzas. We made four (one at a time) and they came out quick and very good!

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Chris,

I only tapered the sides and not the top and bottom. The space between the rings was wider than I liked so I used thin wedges that I cut from scrap pieces. It seemed to work for me. That is probably why I used as much as I did.

As for the first fire it went well. I was very cautious in starting the fire and keeping the temperature down to the recommended levels. I did the complete curing process without the chimney pipe on because it rained a couple of times and I had to keep the canopy over as cover. The oven vented very well for not having the chimney pipe on, only a small amount of smoke would exit the front.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by brianventura View Post
    david s,
    Chris,
    I would only mix 5 to 10 pounds at at time depending on what I was able to accomplish. I hope that helps. When I started I had no idea how much I would use. I needed just a little more to finish my vent area so I had to order 1 more bag than I thought would need. Good luck with your build.
    I have now started on building the enclosure since the curing process has finished.
    I am in the middle of setting my second chain and I haven't gone through one bag yet. I am hoping 4 bags will be enough for my 42" pompeii. As for how much I mix, I am obviously learning as I go and have learned a lot. Like I now only mix what my back can stand to take at one time. It is usually enough to do about 10 bricks in the chain. I did listen to all the posts on how quickly heatstop50 sets up and started with very small batches to get the "feel" of how much water to mix and how fast it sets.
    Good Luck
    John

Leave a comment:

• coveforest
    replied

Thanks for the info on mortar amounts. Guess I'll need to get some more especially since I'm not tapering my bricks as you did....though I might need to consider tapering as I worry that the mortar joint thickness is too big.

I've been admiring your build and really studying the vent area (inner and outer arches). Nice work!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post detailed pictures.

How well did your first fire go? Any draw issues?
    Last edited by coveforest; 05-20-2011, 05:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

david s,
    Thanks, I have finish with the curing and ready for pizza.

Chris,
    I used four and a half 50 pound bags of mortar that I purchased from Forno Bravo. I had some waste here and there but I tried to keep that to a minimum. I would only mix 5 to 10 pounds at at time depending on what I was able to accomplish. I hope that helps. When I started I had no idea how much I would use. I needed just a little more to finish my vent area so I had to order 1 more bag than I thought would need. Good luck with your build.

I have now started on building the enclosure since the curing process has finished.
    Last edited by brianventura; 05-19-2011, 10:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• coveforest
    replied

I am in the early stages of laying bricks and starting to get concerned that I might not have enough Heatstop mortar. How much did you use on your oven?

Thanks - Chris

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

It'll also work better when you've driven all the water out. Looking great.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Thanks everyone and I know it seems like a bit much but I figure at some point in time we are in for another earthquake. Hopefully the oven won't shift on the hearth and it will stay in place, time will tell.

I started curing the oven and it is going well. The vent seems to be working collecting most of the smoke. It should work much better when I have the pipe in place.

Leave a comment:

• BriggsARNP
    replied

When my oven grows up it wants to be just like yours.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Holy crap! You can stack brick on that until satellites hit it, its not going anywhere. Probably overkill but very impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied

This baby aint going anywhere. Good looking oven!

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Thanks Cheesesteak,

Here are some more photos. To support the soldier course I poured concrete around them. It's just a little piece of mind since I have a tall soldier course and I have read that they do need to be reinforced so they don't get forced outward.

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

The oven looks great - very nice job.

Leave a comment:

• ptone
    replied

Brian, it is looking sweet - you will be proud everytime you look up and see that dome closure clear when firing.

-P

Leave a comment:

Working...
X