Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oh, the Humanity!!

Originally posted by dmun View Post

I don't think you can blame the flared entry..
    I agree with this David. It's been done w/ no problems - I wish I had done that. But, mechanically, I can see if the arch was compromised (low arch with no lateral support), with the weight of the flu stack and brick, that it could conceivably pull the rest in with it. Its like when they demo a building - blow the supports and the whole damn thing comes down.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Too much weight on that flat arch with no lateral support caused it to collapse.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I don't think that the failure of the arch was the sole cause of the failure of the dome. Certainly it did precipitate the collapse, but there was very low bond strength in the mortar. Several days before the crash, I walked around the oven and noted the poor adhesion of the mortar to the bricks (several were loose and moved in place) and found that it would flake off if I dug into it with a fingernail. In fact, I just took another look and much of the mortar crumbles and turns to powder at the touch. One of the rows in the dome simply separated from the brick below it leaving no speck of mortar on the lower row.

On the positive side, it makes cleaning the bricks for reuse quite easy.

Greg
        sigpic
        I'm not dead, yet! I'm feeling better.

Comment

If you paid a mason to do this work, shouldn't he have some responsibility to have done it correctly? I did notice the interior pictures looked quite good (no joints lining up).
          My oven (for now):
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

In a static structure, the mortar has such a low required strength that it would probably never have been an issue. It did not remain static. I have seen hundred plus year old buildings where I could literally tear a rock out of the wall with my hands, but the building was structurally fine, although in need of eventual remediation.

Comment

If you told the mason what to build, it isn't his deal. I run across this often with fireplaces "designed" by architects. The mason builds it as drawn, and when it doesn't work the architect and GC want to blame the mason because he is an expert at building fireplaces. And he is an expert at BUILDING them, not designing them.

Comment

Yikes! My worst nightmare (regarding pizza ovens). At least yours was not enclosed. I am sure you will have it back up in no time.

dave
                Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Legos & used fire brick have something in common

They are easy to recycle!

I plan to make a flared oven entry like the one you made.

Good luck on the rebuild, and, with life's other trials. :bucketfullofencouragement:
                  Last edited by Lburou; 02-01-2011, 10:03 PM.
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Legos & used fire brick have something in common

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                    I plan to make a flared oven entry like the one you made.
                    Dont make the arch so flat unless you have heaps of buttressing to back up the downwards load.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Greg
                      I feel your pain... You a very gutsey bloke for posting that one.. thanks
                      You still have the stand, you still have he bricks.....
                      I've always wanted to build a secound oven.... think of it this way. You have the stand already build the bricks sourced and cut... your many steps ahead already

Good luck
                      Cobbler dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Good to see you are rebuilding. On the bright side you know if the previous size was adequate for your needs so this new build will be exactly what you want. I'm building a 33" oven and have no idea if it's to big or small for my needs.
                        Thanks for sharing I'm sure there are many of us out there who will change our arch plans due to your post.

Comment

Flat arches are fine, you just have to realize that they will have more outward thrust and allow for that force. All arches exhibit this, some more than others. For an unengineered arch, err on the side of more mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                            If you told the mason what to build, it isn't his deal. I run across this often with fireplaces "designed" by architects. The mason builds it as drawn, and when it doesn't work the architect and GC want to blame the mason because he is an expert at building fireplaces. And he is an expert at BUILDING them, not designing them.
                            Wouldn't you expect that he at least knew the right mortar or mix to use, or give some sort of guidance? I wish I could fall back on ' you told me to do it that way' when something goes wrong. (which hasn't happened, but i won't build something for someone if I know it's going to fail, but maybe that's just me)

I should also add, that if you had a friend do it, this entire point is moot. I had a buddy that said he'd help me with projects (for free), then added, I'll make sure you get what you pay for, and I'll pay you back double if it goes wrong!
                            My oven (for now):
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

It depends. All masons are not fireplace or oven masons. Some masons lay only rock, some lay brick, some do it all.

Comment

Good luck wit the next one, I would recommend getting a HF saw, home brew mortar, tapering the bricks and doing it yourself ( it cant possibly come out worse)
                                Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X