The Backofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Backofen

Trellis - Depends on how long ago you set those bricks. If it were me, and the bricks had been in place less than 48 hours - I would take a cold chisel and a rubber mallet and see if you can knock off the top two chains and redo them. I had a much less severe problem with the angles on my oven, and ended up doing this for one chain and I am very happy I did.

However, IIRC - you are using HS50 - which in my experience sets up quite a bit faster - so you might not even have that much time.

If the mortar is too set up, then removing the bricks is tricky. If you are following Texman's thread, you'll see what can happen. He ended up having to start over when he cracked his oven.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Coloradoredusa View Post
      5th course almost done.. pics attached!
      I can see in the pics in this post that you were started getting too shallow on your dome angle on the 4th and 5th chains. The interior face of the brick should have been flush against the bracket on your IT to get the height you were targeting.
      My build progress

Comment

Thanks Tscar.. I am sure it will be functional.. will just have to figure out the properties of the oven .. not gonna stress about it anymore .. @Deejay.. I can see that now too.. will make the best of it!
        “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

Cut the next course with the top of the brick slanted to the inside of the oven at a pretty steep angle - probably need to make it 45 degrees or so. Then you'll be back on track.
          My build progress

Comment

DEEJAY..! Thanks! Back on track!
            Pics tomorrow!

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Got back on track with the radical angle course.. halfway around the next to the last course..one brick at at a time..Stupid windy here today.. will hopefully finish this course tomorrow!

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Trellis:
                Looking good...and you are so far ahead of my build, for having started more or less at the same time. Keep up the good work.Really looking forward to seeing the final product!
                RJD

Comment

almost to the top.. get a little more done today hopefully!

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Looking good Trellis! Nice recovery

I'm closing in my dome this morning. Looks like you might get there too
                    My build progress

Comment

O Yeah!.. Domed out... It's not the prettiest ,but it is nice! woohoo..!
                      Last edited by Coloradoredusa; 05-28-2012, 07:48 PM.

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Well its been a while since i've posted..I managed to do the curing fires before I went on vacation..and before Colorado Springs started on fire.. I ended up with some small mortar cracks, but nothing that is structural.. pizzas were damn good and now I will concentrate on finishing the oven! I wont be able to make any Pizzas or even use the oven until the city lifts the Burn BAN on outside fires.. even ones enclosed in Fireboxes..aka fire pits aka BBQ pits Dangit...

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Yep, we have that ban in Douglas county too!!
                          My Oven Thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Vermicrete insulation layer ..complete..! Fired yesterday afternoon and oven is still at 400 deg as of noon MST! Steel door fit into place!

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Glad you are OK Trellis. Your oven is looking good!

The fire got within 150 yards of our old house on Granby Circle. Friends, neighbors and my brother had to evacuate....Some came back to ashes. One friend, who lived through WWII in Germany thought it was the end of the world. Her grandson helped her out to the car and the flames, smoke and embers were unbelievable....She made it with three suitcases....
                              Lee B.
                              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hey, Trellis:
                                Saw your message regarding my build. Thanks for the encouragement.
                                Congrats on your own success---you rocked getting that oven built! And the first pizza looks great. I hope that the continued threat from the fires out there hasn't prevented you from continuing to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
                                By the way, are you planning to brick in your chimney? I'm undecided still about how I will finish the enclosing structure after the oven is built, and always looking for ideas.
                                Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X