Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.

I'm considering putting a short piece of 1" x 1" x1/8" angle iron on the outer corner edge of each side of the oven's inside arch (basically covering the reveal), to protect against chips and dings from the various cooking tools. Has anyone done this? Was it worth it?
    Last edited by rjdealhome; 07-16-2012, 09:39 AM. Reason: spell error

Comment

Thank God that I don't have to make a living as a mason! I have acquired a deep and abiding respect for anyone in the trade.
      Did the second course today. Never entirely sure if I'm doing it right, and it certainly is ugly in places...but if it cooks pizza when I'm finished, I'll be happy!

Comment

Somehow I managed to get only a couple of days out of the past week to work on the oven---someone had scheduled a three-day trip to the beach last weekend...and tomorrow it's off again to visit with her sister (at least I can hope to do some fishing on the Bay with my brother-in-law.) But it's all good, and we make progess, albeit slowly. Three courses done, and brick is cut for the fourth, and for the inner arch. Spent a good bit of time on building the forms for the arch, too. Will do the arch next, before the fourth course.

God-awful ugly brickwork, but if it stands when finished---and cooks pizza---I figure that I don't have to spend a lot of time looking at it.

Latest picture of the crime scene is attached.

Comment

It looks good.. you are too hard on yourself.. that is why I didnt take close up pics.. LOL
          Looks Great..!
          “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

You will notice that none of my pictures are close-ups, either! I'm a big believer in, "When you don't got it, for God's sake don't flaunt it!".

Comment

Built the arch last Thursday before taking off for the weekend. I used bricks set on edge, cut to 5 1/2" length, and then notched back 1" to create the reveal for the door. Even with the form in place, assembling the arch was a bit more tricky than I had anticipated, trying to keep the joints full and even (not that I was entirely successful in that effort!) Left it all in place over the weekend, and pulled the form out today: it stands! I remember a photo from somewhere on this forum of someone standing on the arch they had built---I can't quite get myself to do that yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll try sitting on it. (Yes, I know it will have to support a flue and brick or stone chimney, but I have to work up to these things.)
              Laid course #4 today, except for the two end bricks that transition into the arch; I did get those cut and they fitted into the arch pretty well, so I'll cement them into place tomorrow. Cut the bricks for course #5 which is on the list for tomorrow as well. Will have to buy a third bag of Heat Stop to get me through the remainder of the build.
              I'm posting a couple of pictures of progress made.

Comment

Endless angst and a lot of cussing as I keep trying to do the transition into the arch. The first effort (on course #4) went fairly well---photos are posted below---but on this next course it has been a bear. I've messed up four bricks and still not happy with the results. And, adding insult to injury, I'm finding that my perfect hemisphere ain't so perfect at that juncture. I may have to cover up a lot of sins with gobs of extra mortar. Very discouraging.
                We'll pick up the battle again tomorrow.

Comment

Blessed be mortar that covers a multitude of sins. We have once again achieved the nirvana of the perfect hemisphere, courtesy of a large number of oversized mortar joints, and a several very ugly looking brick cuts. But when it is all done and fired up, I don't think these discrepancies will matter that much.

Comment

Got another course in place, and cut the next. Getting close to the top of the dome.
                    Pictures of ugly crooked brickwork are attached, as a source of encouragement to anyone who may hesitate undertaking a build because everyone else's ovens look so great.

Comment

Got a few more courses done over the last couple of days, and I'm getting close to closing the dome. I may be overdoing the caution, but I'm letting each brick set for about five minutes at this point, before moving on the next---mixing very small batches of mortar so that it stays workable, about enough for three or four bricks at a time. With the steepness of each course at this point, I've been concerned that the brick will slip or shift as I move the dome guide, but it has worked out well so far. We'll see how it goes with the last bricks.

Couple of photos attached...I should have included the first photo with the previous post, showing the completed transition from dome to arch. Not pretty, but functional!

Comment

Almost there, take your time, it took me several days to do the final course and plug. Good luck.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell:
                          Thanks for the encouragement. I can use it! Of course, my build doesn't even come close to the caliber of yours---and of so many others. But, I take refuge in the knowledge that it will cook pizza when I'm done (I hope!).
                          Robert

Comment

Yes it will cook pizza and you can say I built it myself, and I dare say your friends and family will be impressed.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

It's the "Yes it will cook pizza" part that I care about the most. Really looking forward to that first pie! (Or, in the vernacular of my Branford, CT roots, "Apizza!")

Comment

The dome is closed! It did get a little bit irregular as we went for the final course, with some rather strange shapes for some of the cuts on the last bricks, but the deed is done.
                                Now, on to the vent arch and the installation of the flue liner. Have decided to go with a clay flue and masonry chimney, basically a cost consideration compared to the Duratech chimney system. Bought a 8 1/2 x 13 liner (nominal size) which has a 6 1/2 X 11 inch interior dimension, pretty close to the 6 X 10 called for in the Pompeii plans.
                                Reviewed information for drying out and curing--- it calls for letting the oven sit for a week prior to starting the first curing fire. Bummer! I was anxious to get something burning.
                                Photos of final course attached. I ceded the ceremonial placement of the final keystone to my daughter.

Comment

Working...
                                X