Laruvious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laruvious

Very nice build. I like the corner oven construction and it looks like you even stuccoed your wood storage! Very nice. (but you did have "Inspector" watching ).

I thinks it's so great that people with little experience can now go thru the FB forum and find all the info they need to get their oven done like you did. Congratulations. I like your keystone too.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Yup...super, super job. I could not see anything wrong or questionable. For the first time with a trowel it looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
        Nice build. I'm curious about the term "LARUVIUS" I googled it but it takes me to your posts. Whatever / whoever it is, very clever use for the keystone!
        The Term Laruvius: it is a word play on Mount Vesuvius (The Italian Volcano) and our last name. There is a brick oven Pizzaria in NYC (Naples 45) and they have 3 brick ovens. They have each oven named after Volcanos in Italy. (Visuvius, Etna, and Stromboli ). Which I found pretty interesting

As far as the keystone, I bought a concrete mold on ebay and poured it.
        Did a search for "Concrete Mold Greek Roman" and he came up...
        Also Bought and poured a Female mold which is placed in the Roast pit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
          Very nice build. I like the corner oven construction and it looks like you even stuccoed your wood storage! Very nice. (but you did have "Inspector" watching ).

I thinks it's so great that people with little experience can now go thru the FB forum and find all the info they need to get their oven done like you did. Congratulations. I like your keystone too.
          Hey there Dino, Thank you very much for your post! it means alot coming from you being your thread is one of the main ones I got my inspiration and ideas from!

Steve

Comment

Hey slaris can you tell me what kind of digital display you used to measure temp.

Thanks

Dave.
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Picasa photo library:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1043493...lleryMay192012

Comment

Great looking build! No prior experience!?! Amazing work! I really like the molded guy. I have a Bacchus face that I bought in Vernazza (Cinque Terra) that I hang on mine for festive events... Great work!
              My Oven Thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

That is one cool guardian! Nice build.

Beehiver
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by slaris View Post
                  Well, I started my oven about 3 months ago.. I did not start a thread due to the fact that I really did not have much to offer. Everything I did was something I read in someone elses posts in this forum. The oven is almost done with and I just wanted to post some pics of the progress.. not that What I did is any different but I got my ideas from everyone elses perspectives in their pictures. So maybe someone else might see something in a different perspective from my pics...
                  ALL critisism is welcome.. especially negative... for I am still learning!

Steve
                  Steve, your build looks great! Don't worry, we are ALL copy cats on this one
                  Last edited by Lburou; 06-08-2012, 07:35 PM.
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by dsm View Post
                    Hey slaris can you tell me what kind of digital display you used to measure temp.

Thanks

Dave.
                    Hi there Dave,
                    It is the Omega DP1001AM
                    1/4 DIN 10-Channel Automatic Temperature Scanner
                    Great little scanner. A bit of Advice (Common sense which I lacked) when you run your thermocouplers. KEEP them protected. I did not and my hearth one got a short by the time I finished. Another bit of advice get the ones that have teh metal sheeathing not the cloth. I think that the metal would of held up better.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
                      Great looking build! No prior experience!?! Amazing work! I really like the molded guy. I have a Bacchus face that I bought in Vernazza (Cinque Terra) that I hang on mine for festive events... Great work!
                      No experience with concrete or brick work. I must say that we have done all sorts of projects with wood around the house and have basically all tools we need. I have 3 sons (The Cheap Labor). And Every Year we (Actually I ) choose a "construction" project. 4 years ago we built a Pergola
                      TRELLIS PROJECT - slaris' Photos | SmugMug
                      Shed Construction - slaris' Photos | SmugMug
                      3 years ago a CNC router, 2 years ago a shed.
                      The kids are no longer kids and it is getting harder to convince them Projects are FUN. along with the fact that they either work full or time away at school. Realizing Labor will no longer be Cheap. "We" decided to build out of Concrete which will be harder to take down.
                      Seems like I will be trading my tools for some pizza and wine.. as my weekend warrior days are coming to an end

Comment

Ok great thanks slaris.
                        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Picasa photo library:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1043493...lleryMay192012

Comment

Seems like I will be trading my tools for some pizza and wine.. as my weekend warrior days are coming to an end
                          I'm right there with you. But what a spectacular way to go: Not many people get to point to a real Pompeii inspired wood burning oven...hand built, hand crafted since there's no other way, as one of their crowning construction projects.

Every day for 3 years now I can't go into my back yard without eyeing my beautiful wfo (her name is Petra-Forno) and you'll be doing the same.

DRAKE: I've always liked your Bacchus face on your oven. What a great souvenir to bring back from the Cinque Terre.
                          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Dino!

Slaris,
                            That pergola/trellis is amazing! I am afraid to show my wife!
                            My Oven Thread:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
                              Thanks Dino!

Slaris,
                              That pergola/trellis is amazing! I am afraid to show my wife!
                              Thank you..

Sorry for the delayed reply.. I was away in Houston for business.

We (Sons and I) ordered the plans for that one.. Good bonding project . It was a good project and came out great. During the summer it is the most used space in the house... when the oven\BBQ are finishes we will probably live out of the back yard

here is the build link to the trellis build
                              Last edited by slaris; 06-21-2012, 12:03 PM. Reason: Add link

Comment

Thank you..

Sorry for the delayed reply.. I was away in Houston for business.

We (Sons and I) ordered the plans for that one.. Good bonding project . It was a good project and came out great. During the summer it is the most used space in the house... when the oven\BBQ are finishes we will probably live out of the back yard

here is the build link to the trellis build
                                here is the link to the plans
                                Double Post Pergola Designs

Comment

Working...
                                X