X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Huge Thanks!

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Xene,

Are you concerned that the leaves may "pop" off due to your weather. I pray that it won't because it is extremely clever and very artsy. In the top 3 of all the domes I have seen.
    Wow, top 3? Thanks! I'm honored.

Pop off?! You had to go and say that? HA - well...okay, maybe a tad nervous for the weather but the stucco was still wet when we applied those, just not wet enough to press them right in, and I tried to apply the slip thick enough that it oozed out of all the edges, then I brushed it down the side of each tile (that was a labor of love, took several hours to apply them all) so that it had the best adherence according to what I had learned over these months of using mortar(s) and what I imagined happened in a freeze and thaw cycle....SO...no, I'm really not too worried. In shaking them to test how well they are on there, I have only pulled off one, I think that's a good sign, the rest would be very hard to remove. <fingers-crossed>
    My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
      Beautiful oven. Wish i had those bricks.
      Thanks! The bricks came from a recycled brick yard, same place I got the street pavers for the patio and the granite block. Lots of major cities have them, in this case, the fellow had a couple pallets of old mismatched bricks, and a few that weren't enough for an substantial project of any size. He was happy to clean up his yard (I literally scoured the yard for any laying around) and get rid of them and I was thrilled to do this patchwork look. The bricks aren't all the same size or thickness, might drive someone else batty, but it didn't bother me in the slightest.

I had only 32 whole brick done when I finished this fall. Phew, luck only, not an ounce of planning involved.
      My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xene View Post
        Wow, top 3? Thanks! I'm honored.

Pop off?! You had to go and say that? HA - well...okay, maybe a tad nervous for the weather but the stucco was still wet when we applied those, just not wet enough to press them right in, and I tried to apply the slip thick enough that it oozed out of all the edges, then I brushed it down the side of each tile (that was a labor of love, took several hours to apply them all) so that it had the best adherence according to what I had learned over these months of using mortar(s) and what I imagined happened in a freeze and thaw cycle....SO...no, I'm really not too worried. In shaking them to test how well they are on there, I have only pulled off one, I think that's a good sign, the rest would be very hard to remove. <fingers-crossed>
        I put you into the top 3 because I didn't want to piss off the other 2 Great work and let us know if it survives your winter.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Worse case scenario, you can grout between them to bring the whole surface into one plane that will diminish the issue of frost heave or what ever you cold people call it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
            Worse case scenario, you can grout between them to bring the whole surface into one plane that will diminish the issue of frost heave or what ever you cold people call it.
            Us 'cold' people? You meant "Rugged"?

The tiles aren't glazed, so grouting them would be...really awful, I know, I really wanted them sunk in, I considered grouting for a moment, then decided I was tired.
            My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Yes, unglazed it would be very difficult project. Up in the cold, you may want to consider a cover for the uninhabitable months, A tarp or something.

Comment

What a beautiful layout and finish on the outdoor kitchen! You certainly built one striking entertainment/cooking area. My only question is "With such a fabulous setup, how could you possibly get those pictures without a hoard of party people in front of the oven?"

Great job. Looking forward to reading about your exploration of "good eats from a stunning, hand-crafted, brick oven".
                Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Damn, I'd be happy just to get some sort of brick and stone on my exterior.

That looks ahhhhhhhhhh-Sum. A job well done. I love it when hard work pays off like that.

David
                  "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

Just in case anyone is curious about the back side of the oven, since I didn't include a picture, I do have this one (sorry the quality could be better) but it does show that I didn't tile the entire dome. I didn't have enough for one thing and the process of attaching each one would have taken me a few days to accomplish. I'm completely satisfied with just the front. I simply stepped back as I worked until I couldn't see any empty areas from the front view to get the look I was after. This back shot shows the seating I have opposite the chef (me!) and how it looks from yet another angle.

I threw in the shot of laying the street brick around the slab too, just for reference in case anyone is interested.

Anyway, I thought these pictures might help anyone looking to recreate this effect should they stumble upon it in the future.
                    My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Awesome work, ill say it again... What did you use for the chimney liner? I plan on just using bricks and skip the flue liner
                      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Awesome work, ill say it again... What did you use for the chimney liner? I plan on just using bricks and skip the flue liner
                        Thanks V-wiz! I used an old chimney liner. We had the roof redone this summer and we removed the chimney to our fireplace, I had the guys save the flue for me and I re-purposed it for the oven - I have 2 more sections like this one left - 2 more ovens? I think not.

I will be completely honest and say I have no idea what method is best. I was so happy when the chimney was done (worst part of the build for me!)
                        My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Nice, thanks for the info. Its good to re-use things.

Comment

Nice, thanks for the info. Its good to re-use things.
                            Indeed - and to think that 'free' flue only cost me the price of a new roof!
                            My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

Either way will work fine, but the chance of cracking is much higher with the un-lined chimney on an oven. For example, on my oven, it is lined, but on the BBQ (less use, less heat), it is not.

Comment

got it, if i can find a clay liner for cheap ill jump on it if not im just going to use my red bricks at the mid/top section of the chimney. They originally came off a chimney from 1930, hmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                                X