Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-wiz
    replied
    Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Some updates.

Built a planter box and dividers. Then prepped and started the concrete pavers.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Campmaki,

You are correct that you are never too old to learn, but also there is more than one way to skin the cat. No doubt you will see many ideas and opinions on the forum. Some great some not but in any event I never believe anyone wants to see another fail. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Leave a comment:

• Campmaki
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Happens when you don't use an IT. Seems like a natural reaction for most builders. Your last course should be connecting across the top of your arch to complete a circle. You've straightened out that last bricks on each side.

Brickie - IMO, the plans really don't cover this in much detail.

I am going to go back to my suggestion that the FB plans should be dumped into a Wiki where we could add all kinds of sections. How to build/use an IT. How to build the arch into the oven. How to taper bricks. Yada Yada Yada. Maybe this is something I will need to do myself if I find the energy. It really takes a lot of work to dig this all out of the forums when you are newbie who doesn't know what you are looking for!
    Deejayoh, Or we take extra time to understand the fundamental principals that are discussed in this forum. I have only built my base and am now studying this forum day and night to grasp every thing possible to make my build that much easier, even being an experienced bricklayer. YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN, Some are the builds on this forum you would think are done by professional masons, but in fact are built by non-construction people, you know who you are, and they obviously have done their homework.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by kanoer54 View Post
    You're almost there. Looking forward to seeing the patio pavers. Nice flue and rain cap. You'll be glad you braced the flue when the winds come thru.
    jon
    Thank you Jon, ya the chimney came out well, ya the chimney is tall so it had to be supported on both sides, we used electrical conduit tubing, hammered/ flattened on bith sides and screwed in place.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Quite the set up, nice work.

Did you end up re-framing the chimney penetration to get your clearances?
    Thanks man, yes we did, it is now at the proper distance

Leave a comment:

• kanoer54
    replied

You're almost there. Looking forward to seeing the patio pavers. Nice flue and rain cap. You'll be glad you braced the flue when the winds come thru.
    jon

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Quite the set up, nice work.

Did you end up re-framing the chimney penetration to get your clearances?

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Some updates. Just about finished the brick columns. Installed the chimney and flashing, completed the roof over the bbq pit and started prepping the ground/soil for the pavers.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Thanks Steve, its not bad, we inly have time to work on saturday a d maybe a day or two during the weekdays (sometimes). But I'm not complaining.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Looking good! You must be happy with the progress.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Flat roof framing completed and installed with metal roofing. Now the same thing needs to be done on the other side.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Some updates from the past few days.

Had a chimney custom made to fit my exact needs/application. All this cost me $140, which is an amazing price.

Patio has been completely prepped and painted.

Brick pillars completed, just need to install caps.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Thanks again. I will fabricate a metal cap and install a proper flue. I wont use brick as it will get really heavy

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    Thanks alot for the heads up, i think we will change that out when we get a chance. How hot do you think the bricks can get at the top of the chimney?
    Not sure, but keep to your 2" and it will be fine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X