Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-wiz
    replied
    Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Thanks gulf, its pretty big in that area, so i don't think 8" (facing the door) will be much of a bug, plus i am going to build a door so it will be closed off. I do plan on making a gothic arch using forms and concrete so that should add to the support? Thanks again

On another note i was thinking instead of using a ceramic fiber board for the floor i can use perlite, will 4 bags of 4 cf be enough? I called a nursery per your suggestion and found them for $12 for a 4 cf bag, thats way cheaper than the boards. What do you guys think? Thank you
    Last edited by V-wiz; 01-08-2013, 12:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    What do you guys think about adding a single column at the center of the base with 8x8x16 blocks, to add additional support at the center of the oven
    I have looked at several builds that have done just that. I am sure that it has made several builders more confident with their builds. However, my vote is to not do it. The center of the hearth is not where the weight of the oven is resting. The weight Is evenly dispersed by the dome to the outer edges.

You can add an inch or two to the thickness to your hearth, use a little extra rebar, and/or include monlithic concrete beams in your hearth pour to keep this area open. The center post will just be an obstacale if you want to access that large amount of realestate under your oven. You might later even want to use it for a rolling/slide out drawer for your oven tools. If you put that post in, the far reaches of your wood storage area will be just an area for critters .
    Last edited by Gulf; 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Thanks Russell, ya i did notice what you did, i will keep mine large and just add a single column, so its not mandatory but preference is what I'm understanding

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

VWiz,

I squared off my wood storage area for a couple reasons, first, I did not need all that space in the corners for my wood storage and second, to give my hearth some additional support, although I poured a 5.5" hearth floor with 1 foot on center #5 rebar. However, I have seen some builds without a center support wall. So it is a matter of choice and how thick your hearth floor is and type of reinforcement. It will be holding alot of weight with the brick dome and floor. Depending how you place the support wall may impact your ability to access the area underneath. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

What do you guys think about adding a single column at the center of the base with 8x8x16 blocks, to add additional support at the center of the oven

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Vwiz,

Making good headway, great that you can work in the winter on your project. It is 5 degrees here and a foot of snow on my lawn. Jealous that you can get out side and work. What are you going to veneer the CMUs with? Notice blocks right up to the edge of you pad. BTW, Gulf is the one who made a rotating template for his v-crete install. Look at his build to see how uniform and symetrical his vcrete install was.
    Thanks Russell, ya we are blessed here in LA, its about 67 during the day, so its good for working. I will be using the red bricks you see at the first page of my build, i plan on cutting them in half to double the SF, if they don't crack. I was also thinking of installing river rocks at the corner and around the doors, but well see. Thanks for the info about the rotating form, i will look into it. Ill have to brain storm with my father on the whole blanket or vcrete thing, i think i have an idea, but its way to early for that.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Vwiz,

Making good headway, great that you can work in the winter on your project. It is 5 degrees here and a foot of snow on my lawn. Jealous that you can get out side and work. What are you going to veneer the CMUs with? Notice blocks right up to the edge of you pad. BTW, Gulf is the one who made a rotating template for his v-crete install. Look at his build to see how uniform and symetrical his vcrete install was.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

I finally made some real progress. Started the foundation and layed the first coarse (almost) of the blocks. I had to remove 3 fruit trees and plant them somewhere else, we formed the foundation, added some gravel that was thrown in my backyard from the previous owners (free is nice) then added some mesh & rebar. We poured & leveled the foundation/slab then wet layed the blocks, then inserted the rebars into the blocks.

My father working on the slab.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    I slopped in a portland/vermiculite mixture into the wire and on top of the blanket. Tried to smooth it out the best I could. I then hit it with regular mortar and again tried to shape it. The last attempt of getting it right was using the final coats of Dryvit.
    Ok i just browsed your build, i see what you mean. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Hey les, ya i saw that, i actually have printed a picture of that. So did you do what i was mentioning or you used vcrete?. I really shouldnt worry about this at this point as i have a long way to go
    I slopped in a portland/vermiculite mixture into the wire and on top of the blanket. Tried to smooth it out the best I could. I then hit it with regular mortar and again tried to shape it. The last attempt of getting it right was using the final coats of Dryvit.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    It's not quite that simple. I formed some rebar to make a dome, covered it with chicken wire and it was still quite hard to get a good shape. Someone here built a form that spun around and they were able to get a near perfect dome shape. Just a suggestion...

Good luck - when you get to this point you are pretty much are on top of the hill.

Hey les, ya i saw that, i actually have printed a picture of that. So did you do what i was mentioning or you used vcrete?. I really shouldnt worry about this at this point as i have a long way to go

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

I sorta just want to avoid the whole vcrete step. I was thinking to my self ill just pack it will insulation blanket then add some vcrete for the nice shape.
    It's not quite that simple. I formed some rebar to make a dome, covered it with chicken wire and it was still quite hard to get a good shape. Someone here built a form that spun around and they were able to get a near perfect dome shape. Just a suggestion...

Good luck - when you get to this point you are pretty much are on top of the hill.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

I see what you mean, I do plan on building an igloo style oven. I sorta just want to avoid the whole vcrete step. I was thinking to my self ill just pack it will insulation blanket then add some vcrete for the nice shape.

I just left Lowes, and purchased the materials.
    I got 75 8x8x16 blocks for the corner stand, 120 6x8x16 for the rest of the bbq area and sink/counter area. 180 bags of 90# concrete mix. 6 sheets of 42x84 concrete slab mesh, 200 LF of Rebar, 3 bags of 94#brick mortar, 2 bags of 94# Portland cement, 1 bag of 50# hydrated lime and 8 bags of 50# all purpose sand. I got a $156 discount for working at a construction/restoration company, and instead of the regular $79 delivery fee i got it for $20. . Now all i need is time, time and more time to work on this oven.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Ok i just realized something. The Pompeii plans say the following.

Dome Insulation
    Either, (1) 50 sq. ft box of FB Blanket and (3) 4 cu ft bags
    Vermiculite/Perlite
    Or, (6) 4 cu ft bags of Vermiculite/Perlite
    Or, (3) 50 sq. ft boxes of FB Blanket

So this means i can use 6 of these McGills Warehouse Online Department Store,HF10 Ceramic Fiber Blanket 2-in. - 8lb/ft3 or 128kg/m3 [G1A-B,F2A,E9A] and not even use vermiculite around the exterior oven. This will probably save money and lots of time if i dont have to apply the Vcret, Right?
    If you are attempting to build an igloo style oven, the vcrete/pcrete works well to true up and provide a substantial base for your final render.

If you are building an enclosure, dry packed insultion (vermiculite, perlite, or most mineral or fiber glass insulation) will work just fine outside of your 3" of ceramic fiber blanket.
    The plans call for either/or. I like to side on the advice of both .

I did not coin this phraise, but it is insulate, insulate, insulate .
    Last edited by Gulf; 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Ok i just realized something. The Pompeii plans say the following.

Dome Insulation
    Either, (1) 50 sq. ft box of FB Blanket and (3) 4 cu ft bags
    Vermiculite/Perlite
    Or, (6) 4 cu ft bags of Vermiculite/Perlite
    Or, (3) 50 sq. ft boxes of FB Blanket

So this means i can use 6 of these McGills Warehouse Online Department Store,HF10 Ceramic Fiber Blanket 2-in. - 8lb/ft3 or 128kg/m3 [G1A-B,F2A,E9A] and not even use vermiculite around the exterior oven. This will probably save money and lots of time if i dont have to apply the Vcret, Right?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X