Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Originally posted by texman View Post
    i agree with David on the soldiers, use Sailors there. easier too build that way as well.
    Texman
    No, sailors is wrong too because they also stand up and even worse they are side by side which makes the walls thinner and even weaker. You are better to lay them flat.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

i meant flat-still dont understand the sailor/soldier thing apparently. I thought sailer was flat, soldier upright.
      sorry to confuse this.

So, it is a header of half brick?

Texman

Bond: a pattern in which brick is laid.
      Stretcher: a brick laid horizontally, flat with the long side of the brick exposed on the outer face of a wall.
      Header: a brick laid flat with the short end of the brick exposed.
      Soldier: a brick laid vertically with the narrow ("stretcher") side exposed.
      Sailor: a brick laid vertically with the broad side exposed.
      Rowlock or Bull Header[1]: a brick laid on the long, narrow side with the small or "header" side exposed.
      Shiner: a brick laid on the long narrow side with the broad side exposed.
      Last edited by texman; 08-19-2013, 01:51 PM. Reason: add explanations
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

This subject about brick names comes up periodically, so here is a picture and names.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

:Good one russell they say a picture soaks a thousand words. How true.

I just learnt something.

That post needs to be somewhere more central where easily found by newbies
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Chip, thanks for your info again and I shall look at the little niggle you mentioned about the peel catching on the mortar joint and yes I shall reread about this innovative design.
            I like it. Can I do it ???? we will see.
            Dave , Russell & Texman
            thank you for the clarification on tinker tailor soldier sailor, I must admit I was unsure and have read many posts on the matter as to which one may be best BUT NOW I have a third choice and on reflection I think your right Dave a soldier is a design flaw and so I am going outside soon to look at laying them flat ( header of half brick ) It does make sense that they would be more stable and like Chip says you can raise it to your desired height perhaps 2 or 3 high.
            Im all for an easy life and the less cutting I do the better, my bricks are a mess little knocks here and there but beggars cant be choosers I suppose but I do admire, nay, envy, the clean cut sides of your builds.
            PS any recommended product for the Hand Lotion Chip?

Comment

I think you have it figured out by laying 1/2 headers to the height you would like. Look at Fabby's build. It was done without a lot of fancy tools/saws so it can be done. Make yourself an IT (indespensible tool) to help you keep the dome shape in the round. Just do a search of IT and you will find all types and it can done easily with scrounged materials but will pay off dividends during your build.
              Russell

Comment

Gudday
                Old old Italian said to me once " fingers were made for picking da noses not playing with da mortar" now I don't pick my nose but for some reason I can't stop myself from getting mortar on my hands. Use ordinary vinegar just pour it on you damaged hands and it will take the sting away instantly.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks for the support & inspiration Russell,

I have just been looking (yep only looking ) and scratching my head a lot down at my pile of bricks.
                  I have sorted them to some sort of even height around the perimeter of floor because I have various lengths and thicknesses AND widths, nothing seems to be uniform in Bulgaria............... anyhow,
                  I know it will be more work with the grinder but I am going to angle the sides to get a better fit,time I have plenty of so I must curb my enthusiasm and take it slowly.

So a couple of more questions before I go steaming ahead if you guys would be so kind,

What would be the size of the cut angled brick, ie width of the top and bottom, I have just drawn a couple of lines on a half brick measuring about 10mm in on both sides at one end and about 5mm in on the other or is there a mathematical way of doing it.

Question 2 Forgive my ignorance but I was thinking of my next step regarding the arch.
                  My oven opening is 16inches and the height would be 10 inches (being about 60%) of the dome. But How do I make a template for the arch?
                  I have just cut a piece of thick hardboard 16 wide x 10 inches high and placed a pliable piece of hardboard on the 0 and 16" mark and bent it until it reached the 10" height mark ( hope I'm being clear ) and drew a pencil line on its natural curve.

Is this the method used or must I take into account the 2nd or 3rd brick where the side arch would start to curve and start the pencil line from there?

Confused as ever and await your continued much needed assistance.
                  I attach a few pictures to try show what I mean.
                  Many Thanks
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post
                    Chip, thanks for your info again and I shall look at the little niggle you mentioned about the peel catching on the mortar joint and yes I shall reread about this innovative design.
                    I like it. Can I do it ???? we will see.
                    Dave , Russell & Texman
                    thank you for the clarification on tinker tailor soldier sailor, I must admit I was unsure and have read many posts on the matter as to which one may be best BUT NOW I have a third choice and on reflection I think your right Dave a soldier is a design flaw and so I am going outside soon to look at laying them flat ( header of half brick ) It does make sense that they would be more stable and like Chip says you can raise it to your desired height perhaps 2 or 3 high.
                    Im all for an easy life and the less cutting I do the better, my bricks are a mess little knocks here and there but beggars cant be choosers I suppose but I do admire, nay, envy, the clean cut sides of your builds.
                    PS any recommended product for the Hand Lotion Chip?
                    Attached is diagram of how I did my dome and how I wish I had done it with splits for the first layer.

My wife gave me some of her lotion from a company called Arbonne it was the remineralizing body lotion, their Seasource detox spa line. Not sure if you can find it but she said she can get more if needed. Let me know she should be able to hook you up.

Splits are available to purchase but in your location may be difficult to find since it seems as if you are using old or possibly hand made brick. If you cannot find splits you might consider laying your first layer as Rowlock Half bricks. That would eliminate the seam issue, make the bricks easy to cut and it would be stable and strong, you might get a few more vertical joints lining up between the first and second course but it would be much easier than cutting bricks to the proper thickness.
                    Last edited by mrchipster; 08-20-2013, 07:31 AM. Reason: Added row lock comment
                    Chip

Comment

Thanks Cobbler for the tip, nearly all the locals here have a homemade still and make a hooch called Rakia, if they didn't drink so much I think they could sell it commercially to the aviation industry, Im sure it would make aeroplanes fly.
                      If you have any ailing problems stings, bites, bad back, yes bad backs !!?? they recommend rubbing it on the affected part, they make it from either plums, apples grapes or a combination which they have in abundance here in everyones garden.
                      I think we are the only home in Bulgaria without an orchard, but we have planted a pear tree!

Comment

Paul,

I was one of those builders who wanted a tight joint front to back, top to bottom. It took me alot of time at the wet saw to accomplish 1/16"-1/18" mortar joints. If I were to do all over again I would focus on tight inner joints (inside the dome) only and use my time resources elsewhere. Homebrew mortar is you friend. But that said, if you need or want to taper or bevel your bricks (which will take much time and very dusty with an angle grinder) look up DJs' spreadsheet on calculating brick cuts or JCG31's brick table. Either one of these get you in the ball park. Again, IHMO, focus on the tight internal joints and not so much on the outer joints. I use "bag balm" for my hands, this is what farmers use for milk cows udders.
                        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 08-20-2013, 09:19 AM.
                        Russell

Comment

Hi Chip, but I shall have to decline your kind offer of hand lotion.
                          You seem to have started a bit of a cult with that one my friend.

Now then serious business this oven making malarkey, on my last post I have shown the bricks around the dome albeit not cut to shape yet and thought about your little tip on the splits although I wont be going to that extreme I chose bricks from my pile that were a smidgeon taller than the floor bricks and hope this will catch the peel rather than the mortar, otherwise we shall just have to be more careful.
                          Thank you for the diagram, I have seen your impressive build and I always peruse those who have taken the time to help me with my build and Im very happy to receive any criticism from anyone if it helps me to make my project anywhere near as good as those I've seen and admired.

Paul

paul

Comment

Row lock for first course diagram. Also an option

Thanks for the complement but there are much nicer builds out there than mine.
                            Last edited by mrchipster; 08-20-2013, 07:39 AM.
                            Chip

Comment

Hi Russell,
                              Yes its my intention to focus on the inner joints, but as you can maybe see from the photos the back joints are way big, maybe because its hard to make a circle with wide flat fronts, so I'm hoping a little angle will make the fronts smaller to get a better round shape and at the same time closing the back slightly.

So now we have Bag Balm for milking cows, I never realised udders could be so rough perhaps I shall try some on the missus. !!!!!

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post
                                Hi Russell,

So now we have Bag Balm for milking cows, I never realised udders could be so rough perhaps I shall try some on the missus. !!!!!

Paul
                                Good Luck with that.
                                Texman Kitchen
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Working...
                                X