X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post
    Hi Russell,
    Yes its my intention to focus on the inner joints, but as you can maybe see from the photos the back joints are way big, maybe because its hard to make a circle with wide flat fronts, so I'm hoping a little angle will make the fronts smaller to get a better round shape and at the same time closing the back slightly.

So now we have Bag Balm for milking cows, I never realised udders could be so rough perhaps I shall try some on the missus. !!!!!

Paul
    A little shaving of the inside sides of the brick will significantly reduce the gap at the back.
    Chip

Comment

I stood my brick on end and it has worked great for my oven. Here is a picture.

Comment

Looks amazing Faith in Virginia another great build !!

Comment

Thanks yorkshireknight, That is the oven I built a few years ago. the oven is used regularly and the solder bricks bricks at the bottom have done just fine. I am getting close to starting my new ovens it's getting higher on my to do list. :-)

Comment

Yorkie,

FYI,

Faith is one of the premier bread bakers on the WFO forum, you need to see some of her (I think Faith is a "her") creations.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

another day in the life.......

Today I looked at Deejays spread sheet, I had actually downloaded that some time back and forgot all about it and proceeded to narrow the sides of the half bricks I had previously cut with my imported UK whizzer.
              I am pleased to say it went easier than I thought although for some reason some of the cuts were of a different dimension.
              Now I have something that looks like a circle with smaller gaps. ( pictures attached)
              Not doing a very good job of cutting the floor there is a substantial gap between (header) course and floor in places but I do hope they will fill with ash, as previously mentioned.

I will adopt Chips 3 cuts 2 bricks when I come to use the full bricks again.

Faith in Virginia, little question for you, did you lay your bricks on there sides when you got higher up or from the start?

I didn't think of it before but I have now put up a large sheet to help prevent the dust going into the oven area, its been a hot 35 degrees today and I look like a blooming snowman.

I also made a small amount of home brew with the materials here and put some on waste bricks. hmmm maybe I moved them too early but it doesn't seem to be working is there a secret for making them stick?
              I also used some fire cement just on its own and it seemed easy to play with will look at the results in the morning.

It says on the Fire cement packet that 8mm is the maximum width of the fill ( I think, Its in Bulgarian ) is this why we tend to use home brew to overcome any larger gaps?

I am a little worried about mortaring the gaps until I am satisfied with the mix working, so until further experiments,....

I need to also look at the IT and the arch formation.

I did ask a question earlier but has not been answered regarding how to make the template for the arch, so if anyone can read that post and help I would be much obliged.

So if theres anything you see on the photies that looks untoward please let me know.

Faith, you must be a glutton for punishment if your embarking on another oven project!!!

Thanks to all who have been of great assistance over the last few days.....................don't go away !!!

Comment

Russell, I cant wait until I get to the stage where I too can learn to make bread and with the input you give me as well as others it will be ever nearer, Mmmmm I can smell it already !.........................Onwards and upwards.!

Comment

Yorkie,

Here are couple pics showing my arch template as well as how the IT ties in the location of the arch form. Just one way to skin the cat.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

For the arch form I used two pieces of plywood cut to my arch shape 63% of dome height minus enough for shims at the bottom to allow it to release downward for removal. The two pieces of plywood were connected with a piece of sheet metal to provide a nice landing spot for my arch bricks, and it also separated the plywood nicely.

I wish I had placed a larger piece of ply or something at the front edge to guide placement of the reveal edge of the bricks

Make sure the arch form is placed in perfectly square to the floor. It will make it easier to construct a well fitting insulated door later. And save the form as a template for the door.if you are really brave build the door first and use it as the form for the arch. But that would be very brave for a first time builder.
                    Last edited by mrchipster; 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM.
                    Chip

Comment

Great to see the IT in action marking the arch Russell, good job. Also your cuts of the rows are precision, did you not need cement in there?

Thanks again Chip for your sketch, you're a very good artist.
                      Not sure as I write about your reference about the reveal, maybe when I come to do the form it will sink in but your right buddy I shall; be abstaining from making the door first, but good point in saving the template.
                      Ah wait a mo, is the penny dropping? Do you mean Chip that the front piece of ply would be outside the entrance thereby allowing that to be wider to reach the extremes of the reveal? Is it really necessary? why did you think it so? what was the downside of your omitting to do this? Your build looks great to me.

Now then, I see the form and where your arch would start, BUT how do you get the right curve? In my previous post I attached a photo of how I thought it would be done is this correct or is there something I've missed?

Further to my question on the subject of arches and although far from this point yet, my front arch will of course be wider due to the reveal, do I still make the front arch the same height as the entry one?

Paul

Comment

another day in the life.......

I did ask a question earlier but has not been answered regarding how to make the template for the arch, so if anyone can read that post and help I would be much obliged.

So if theres anything you see on the photies that looks untoward please let me know.

Faith, you must be a glutton for punishment if your embarking on another oven project!!!

Thanks to all who have been of great assistance over the last few days.....................don't go away !!!
                        I would cut two pieces of the board in your picture to be identical to your desired arch and space them in between with small pieces of 2x4 lumber and screw it all together so the template is free standing. remember to use removable spacers at the bottom so you can remove the template once the arch is built. is that what you were needing?
                        Texman
                        Texman Kitchen
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Thanks Texman,
                          I apologise for not being clear, I understand what you say about the 2 boards etc, but what I'm trying to figure out is the shape of the curve how do you draw it onto a template?

My idea of bending a board to some form of arch maybe? but it looks odd compared with others I've seen thereby wondering if there is a mathematical answer?

Thanks Texman
                          Ps Not tried the udder test yet

Comment

By the way Texman, that's some ingenious device you have there, are you a crane driver? lol

Paul

Comment

i had a hemisphere arch so i made a compass from a piece of scrap. Just a board with two holes-one for pivot point and the other to hold the pencil. perfect circle every time. i didn't take a picture of it though. The pivot point is the center bottom of your arch and the pencil is the diameter of your arch.

Am i on the right track? I also made a homemade compass like this attached.

Texman
                              Texman Kitchen

Comment

By the way Texman, that's some ingenious device you have there, are you a crane driver? lol

Paul
                                no on the crane, just crazy enough to build round stuff out of brick.

Tex
                                Texman Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X