Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

I have absolutely no idea if this would work but I was thinking of you could extend the horizontal tube around the oven base to create more even heating.

I don't know if all the 90 degree turns would work in the drawing below (my limited understanding is that it would need more heat) but this would move all the hot air around the oven base.

Perhaps the dividing walls could be made of Hebel or some other insulator (as in forming up a maze with vermicretre, etc). The roof above this maze could be heatbricks/clay pavers/thermal mass. In theory all the heat wuld move to the heatbricks as the rest is insulation???

The big black part is the chimney/entry into the oven dome. The drawing is looking down, through the thermal/oven floor. The orange arrows are hot air (hopefully). The big orange bocks are insulation/walls.

The more I think about it, if the design followed this path, the firing tube would need to be a big MF, to get all the way around the floor before firing up the chimney. This would obviously depend on the thermal mass being heated.
    Last edited by sandybits; 07-27-2013, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sandybits View Post
      I have absolutely no idea if this would work but I was thinking of you could extend the horizontal tube around the oven base to create more even heating.
      There would be some equation as to the amount of heat required to heat a certain amount of firebrick to bring an oven up to pizza cooking temps, a rocket stove just wouldnt generate enough heat to do it.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        There would be some equation as to the amount of heat required to heat a certain amount of firebrick to bring an oven up to pizza cooking temps, a rocket stove just wouldnt generate enough heat to do it.
        I guess it would depend on how big you make the rocket stove.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by sandybits View Post

I don't know if all the 90 degree turns would work in the drawing below (my limited understanding is that it would need more heat) but this would move all the hot air around the oven base.

Perhaps the dividing walls could be made of Hebel or some other insulator (as in forming up a maze with vermicretre, etc). The roof above this maze could be heatbricks/clay pavers/thermal mass. In theory all the heat wuld move to the heatbricks as the rest is insulation???

The big black part is the chimney/entry into the oven dome. The drawing is looking down, through the thermal/oven floor. The orange arrows are hot air (hopefully). The big orange bocks are insulation/walls.

The more I think about it, if the design followed this path, the firing tube would need to be a big MF, to get all the way around the floor before firing up the chimney. This would obviously depend on the thermal mass being heated.
          What you are describing seems to be pretty similar to the Russian masonry stove design that uses channels. From what I have read, gas behavior is dependent on volume, pressure, and temperature. This is how the mass will be heated.

Tomorrow I hope to get a chance to rebuild, enlarge the burn tunnel, and work with air intake.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            A rocket stove is very similar to the standard masonry core designs. It is worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              I guess it would depend on how big you make the rocket stove.
              And how big the oven is.

Comment

Gudday
                I would think that the oven size or rocket stove size would not be the overriding factor but the ability of the ovens ceramic to take up the heat. The rocket stoves are basically a blow torch and a lot of that heat would be exhurst from the oven before being used or stored in the ceramic ?
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Gudday again
                  Further to my first thoughts perhaps the material of the oven should be more conductive ie steel so it would take in the heat faster . Back that with refractory layer as a heat bank an then of course an insulation layer.
                  Regards dave
                  Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-27-2013, 10:55 PM.
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

As far as metal goes, the longevity factor is the reason that I am staying away from the use of it as much as possible. I live in an area that receives an overabundance of precipitation for the majority of the year. Most of the designs floating around wouldn't make it through one winter here.

The other issue is cooking temps and times. Metal is going to have a different result of holding and retaining heat than masonry even when it is only a layer. There are others that use metal as seen in the videos and pics on this thread. I would rather stick to a masonry oven. I happen to also prefer the look of masonry.
                    Last edited by devilsbrew; 07-28-2013, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Wood fired kilns have their firebox under the oven and then the flames rise into the kiln. In effect a giant rocket stove. They fire to porcelain temperatures (1300 C)
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I played around with air intake tonight. Bought some cheap grill mesh. Limited the opening underneath and bent the mesh to see what worked best. For the little bit of sticks that I burned it seemed to hold up well. I do want to add a wombat hole in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                          Wood fired kilns have their firebox under the oven and then the flames rise into the kiln. In effect a giant rocket stove. They fire to porcelain temperatures (1300 C)
                          Great point. I realize that a standard rocket stove isn't needed to heat up brick. I'm now researching kiln designs to incorporate some of those elements in this hybrid.

Comment

I am looking at rocket ovens as well but am thinking along the lines of less thermal mass and more insulation. Like one of the posts stated, a bit like a blow torch - not much good with a lot of thermal mass.

Here is one of my favourite videos of a traditional rocket oven at the Poilane bakery in Paris. If you love ovens and bread, this is for you.
                            Fabrication du pain Max Poil?ne ? Lyon - YouTube

Comment

McGuire Stove part 6 The finaleeee - YouTube I know this is'nt a rocket stove, but, I came across it. It features secondary air combustion,a very complete burn. This guy goes a step further and uses lava rock for a catalyst...his stoves are homemade as well as the videos but, the concept is on target. I may have him build me one, as the one in my shop really creosotes the pipe.... Look at some of the temps this stove gets...What if a floor was built over the lava rock area....or it was somehow ammended to the bottom of a masonary floor...Food for thought!
                              Last edited by thickstrings; 08-07-2013, 08:48 AM.
                              " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

It needs subtitles?
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X