Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
    McGuire Stove part 6 The finaleeee - YouTube I know this is'nt a rocket stove, but, I came across it. It features secondary air combustion,a very complete burn. This guy goes a step further and uses lava rock for a catalyst...his stoves are homemade as well as the videos but, the concept is on target. I may have him build me one, as the one in my shop really creosotes the pipe.... Look at some of the temps this stove gets...What if a floor was built over the lava rock area....or it was somehow ammended to the bottom of a masonary floor...Food for thought!

It was difficult to see the interior design from that video but it seems similar to this: Aprovecho Rocket Bread Oven - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
      It needs subtitles?
      All,ya-all - Having a little trouble with the southern accent are we???
      Last edited by mrchipster; 08-08-2013, 04:19 PM.
      Chip

Comment

Originally posted by devilsbrew View Post
        It was difficult to see the interior design from that video but it seems similar to this: Aprovecho Rocket Bread Oven - YouTube
        It is not like the Aprovecho oven....The one above is using a cold air 2ndry and a bed of lava rocks as a type of catalyst to acheive a clean burn....the top of the Mcguire stove clocked at 1350f at the top of the catalyst chamber. The Arprovecho is just 2 drums, cook inside of the small one, The rocket just goes around it before exhaust....He was cooking closer to 400f ...Still a neat concept though.
        " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
          McGuire Stove part 6 The finaleeee - YouTube I know this is'nt a rocket stove, but, I came across it. It features secondary air combustion,a very complete burn. This guy goes a step further and uses lava rock for a catalyst...his stoves are homemade as well as the videos but, the concept is on target. I may have him build me one, as the one in my shop really creosotes the pipe.... Look at some of the temps this stove gets...What if a floor was built over the lava rock area....or it was somehow ammended to the bottom of a masonary floor...Food for thought!
          Looking at the video and incorporating you comments about a floor built over the lava rock area may create a very hot floor but I believe the dome would be difficult to heat. You may be able to heat up a high mass bread oven and work with retained heat for baking but it might be difficult to generate the proper heating for a pizza cook. Hot floor cool dome.
          Chip

Comment

The accent is only a moderate distraction. A tripod would be a good investment. Only watched a minute and ended up with a cross between vertigo and motion sickness!
            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
              The accent is only a moderate distraction. A tripod would be a good investment. Only watched a minute and ended up with a cross between vertigo and motion sickness!
              Yes I agree and he is trying to sell those fire boxes with those videos. I makes me wonder about the attention to detail in other areas.

I do like the lava rock as catalyst but it think you may want a way to get into that part of the stove should the lava rock degrade or creosote up over time. Some of the internal temps he is getting must be quite high based on the readings he is getting on the outside.

He does have a tripod, I saw him use it in one of the episodes.

And this post just brought me to 1000 posts on the site. Now ranked as Il Pizzaiolo
              Last edited by mrchipster; 08-09-2013, 07:02 AM.
              Chip

Comment

I hope you all keep me informed of any builds that you do. I am very interested to see your creations.

Comment

Interesting stuff. A low thermal mass means that the oven will cool really fast if the fire dies a little or goes out completely.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Ok. The weather has been miserable so I haven't done much. I decided to play around with the idea of combining the tandoor and rocket stove to create this little box oven. It was my first time ever smoking food and I must say it turned out pretty good.

Down the road I want to of course increase the size and include more of the rocket stove aspects.

Clay Brick Rocket Stove Tandoor Smoker Oven - YouTube

Comment

I really like this idea.

Brick Smoker Oven - YouTube

Comment

Messed around with airflow again. Try adding additional air towards the end of a horizontal burn chamber on the ceiling. It makes a difference.

Last edited by devilsbrew; 09-12-2013, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Any update for us?

Comment

Originally posted by busboss View Post
                            Any update for us?
                            Yes. I have ditched the whole idea. I researched and built rocket stoves for a couple years and decided they weren't for me. I will never build another one again unless the world comes to an end. The main reasons being I have found that I can get the same results from tin cans, rockets are a pain in the butt, and they don't provide the type of conditions for cooking that I enjoy doing.

I switched over to vertical brick smoking ovens. Love the things.

*** That was one of my early stoves in the last picture. I learned about insulation from that one.
                            Last edited by devilsbrew; 04-27-2015, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Ok. Thanks!

Comment

I tried to post a new topic 3 times but that didnt work so I`ll post here..
                                We had an old industrial looking German electric oven in the back yard and it got me wondering how hot I could get this thing with a rocket stove..
                                The oven had a large deflector plate at the bottom so Im hoping that will keep the heat even... So anyway,a 4" hole in the bottom sat on top of this cement perlite rocket stove..
                                Ive no thermometer but can anyone guess the temp based on how a piece of 2X2 hardwood combusts into flames? (vid below)
                                If the thing cooks pizzas good I`ll clad the whole contraption with red brick..or something!

https://youtu.be/oV44b-ux1ig

Comment

Working...
                                X