Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA

Originally posted by alexi82 View Post
    I used the manufacturers recommendations on the packet for the ciment fondue. It was pretty good, but found it hard to work with. Was very firm.

I never had any issues with it but it was in a barrel oven so i think less movement. Plus, i enclosed the whole thing so never saw how the mortar joints were after full firings...

cast dome be interesting....be expensive. its about 40 bucks a bag i think...

hehe, heh. My oven is fully enclosed so you can't see the back of the mortar joints too. What the eye can't see, the heart doesn't grieve over, as my granny used to say.........

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
      hehe, heh. My oven is fully enclosed so you can't see the back of the mortar joints too. What the eye can't see, the heart doesn't grieve over, as my granny used to say.........
      Your granny is very wise

Comment

took the form off the insulation layer...all good. little crumbly but only when u pick at it. otherwise pretty good. not perfect but good. will do the job!

Comment

started to lay the floor bricks..got through 3/4 but my son who decided he doesn't want to have his 2 hour sleep in the middle of the day anymore woke up after 1 hour!!! i think he knows when its oven time......so the rest will have to wait until tomorrow!

Comment

Gudday
            Try laying on the 45 rather than they 90 if an edge pokes up you only have you peel glance of it rather than doing the dead stop thing. If you have to grind in years to come it will only be a corner rather than a whole edge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	916.1 KB
ID:	303400

No more complex cutting required really . This was all cut with angle grinder a brick bulster.
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

argh...that is such a good point. missed that bit in the plans. so obvious though...

what to do. should pull them up but ive run out of fireclay that i had left for bedding...and its 4 weeks off anymore.

reckon yellow brickies sand mix (22%clay) would do as bedding?

see this is why i love and hate this forum...love it for the right ideas, hate it cause now i have to re do haha.

Comment

G'day
                Scrape off the fireclay sand mix and rehydrate it .....
                A simple way of doing this is one of those 20 ltr paint tin mixers on the end of your electric drill and a 20 ltr plastic bucket. Takes the pain out hand mixing small amounts.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Much happier with the re work...re did the floor on 45 degree angles (herringbone). all nice and level, ready to start the dome.

using that paint mixer on the end of a drill is an awesome idea. worked a treat. i think i'll be using that method for mixing my mortar...screw the cement mixer for the smaller amounts.

cheers

Comment

Progress!

Rebuilt my IT using steel rod, a caster, and welded a nut onto the angle iron which makes it adjustable to cater for the raised floor it is attached to.

Comment

More progress...

Added a touch more concrete to the front to extend the landing. Wasn't sure if I was going to do this or not but decided to today. will make it easier for the archways etc.

Mocked up the first course, then mortared it in! Feels good to finally get to this stage.

Cut a couple of bevels in the entry bricks to allow for the door jam. Using the big brick saw (attached) is like using a pick axe for a needle but so long as you cut on the outside of the lines its fine... Was a bargain that saw. 300 bucks on gumtree.

Also, I had forgotten how difficult that ciment fondue is to work with. Ratios are 25kg of ciment fondu to 10L water to 10L sand. 1L of sand is 1.45kg (based on 1450kg a cube), so can get it down to 1.25kg ciment, 500ml water, 2.9kg sand. It's dry and hard to work with...pain really. I did spray it a bit as i went to keep it moist.

Comment

That's a bargain yes ........I got a brand new 16" bricksaw for 200 bucks, now that's the ultimate bargain.

Nice work, like the reveal rebate idea.
                        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

brand new?? how'd you manage that!?

Comment

Working...
                          X