48" brick oven from Melbourne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 48" brick oven from Melbourne

Thank you for all your input for convincing me to pull everything down as i did today, and i am starting allover again this morning.
    It was hart breaking to destroy all my hard work i have done.
    I cleaned all the brick and will use it today, didn't cost me anything more, just a day full of work. hehehe
    Just before going to bed i will like to share few pictures with you guys what i have done today to guide me and support me during my build.

Thank you once again.

Comment

Ahh Much better. Well done. Now you are on your way to a beautiful...and efficient! Wood Fired Oven. Sleep well.

Regards,
      AT

Comment

Atta boy, now your talking. Be sure to ask away with any questions, they are much easier to fix than after the fact.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Dario,

In the #4 photo of your rebuild, it may be an optical illusion to me, but are the solders leaning inward somewhat? If so, are you planning a headstart on the horizontal travel of the Dome? Looking Good!

Comment

Do you have permission from your local council to build so close to your boundary fence? Where I live we are required to build 1.5 m away from any boundary fence, otherwise a complaining neighbour could force you to dismantle all your hard work.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              Do you have permission from your local council to build so close to your boundary fence? Where I live we are required to build 1.5 m away from any boundary fence, otherwise a complaining neighbour could force you to dismantle all your hard work.
              G'day Davids
              The 1.5 rule is pretty much Australia wide.
              Post 31 and pic no 1 what do you think the ruling is for a naked flame from a petrol tanker would be:
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                G'day Davids
                The 1.5 rule is pretty much Australia wide.
                Post 31 and pic no 1 what do you think the ruling is for a naked flame from a petrol tanker would be:
                Regards dave
                Good point, maybe they both could be in trouble.
                With such a large oven Dario, perhaps you could drill a hole in the fence, rig up a line and "borrow" some of your neighbours fuel.
                Last edited by david s; 04-24-2014, 04:49 PM.

Comment

well done Dario you wont regret it.
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

I talk to a council and they say to me to get statutory dec.signed by my me and my neighbour, to be safe for the future, lake you say you never know once they change they mind hehehe..
                    In the #4 photo of your rebuild, it may be an optical illusion to me, but are the solders leaning inward somewhat? If so, are you planning a headstart on the horizontal travel of the Dome? Looking Good!
                    First Solders course leaning a little inward just to get next course a little easier on a angle.

Free fuel would be nice.
                    Cheers

Comment

This is where i got up to in last few days, I've been working my ?ss of to get the dome done, and now i need to concentrate on front arch and chimney.
                      I've got few questions should i put 2 layer of ceramic blanket straight on the dome or i should add extra mass, like a layer 50mm of shiracast Cement to my dome first and then blanket and than another 50 or 100mm Shiracast cement and sand?
                      Can i leave my dome exposed to any rain now or should be covered?
                      Any advice how can i finish the front arch and chimney, would be appreciated? Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030595.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	304096
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030596.jpg
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	304097
                      The angle got so bad on the 5th course of the dome,it come to a point where i got worried that everything will collapse bit it didn't.

Name:	P1030601.jpg
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	304098
                      Then i pack some sand to get the dome closed.

Name:	P1030607.jpg
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	304099

Name:	P1030609.jpg
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	304100

Name:	P1030615.jpg
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	304101
                      Can i shave some bricks with angle grinder inside the dome there is some bricks which are sticking out a little to make a look nice or just ignore?
                      Cheers Dario

Comment

Ive mixed some castable cement and pour on the top to close the dome.
                        This is the outcome and inside the dome today.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030618.jpg
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	304102

Name:	P1030619.jpg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	304103

Thanks Dario

Comment

The thickness of brick you have should be quite sufficient. If you want to add more thickness and strength it will give your oven more thermal mass, but will require longer firing to heat. Using Shiracast will not contribute much to strength as it is an insulator.The usual method is blanket straight on the dome. If you are building an igloo then a lower quality and cheaper insulation like vermicrete over the blanket to even out the lumps and bumps, providing you with a firm layer to render over. If building a dog kennel, just fill over the blanket with loose vermiculite or perlite or fibreglass roof insulation.
                          Yes you can grind the inside bricks to improve the look of it, but wear a respirator or mask, the brick dust is hazardous, particularly when you're in an enclosed space.
                          Last edited by david s; 04-26-2014, 12:41 PM.

Comment

G'day Dario
                            I just leave those bricks alone myself. The face of the brick is the hardest if you cut into the bricks they are a little more porous. If you worried about looks once you have completed the entranceway the view inside the oven becomes quite small. All your guests will be amazed how bricks can be turned into a round structure.
                            How long did it take to complete the dome by the way.
                            Regards dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks David, Dave

I've got Ceramic Blanket brand Isowool,for two layers each layer is 1" or 25mm, total 50mm of thickness.
                              It took me two full days to finish the dome, started on Friday morning finished Saturday.
                              I wont touch the Bricks i like the way they are it's not perfect but at least they will do the job.
                              Callsill board under the dome it's bit wider then a dome it's self, should i trim to a size of the dome?

Thank you.

Comment

G'day,
                                Today i have experiment the front arch the way it may look?
                                I've made temporary door and arch and i really like it the way it looks, what you guys think?
                                Any comment, advice?

Thank you
                                Dario

Name:	IMG_1881.jpg
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	304115

Comment

Working...
                                X