X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1880's Limestone Oven Dismantling and Rebuild in Missouri

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    G'day V12
    This is a high mass serious bread baker probably capable of baking bread for a small village.

Regards dave
    You are absolutely correct Dave... As we were building this and talking to more of the old timers we found two very similar in design right within a 50 mile radius that are still in use. One old settlement just south of us had a similar one in the town square and it was fired continually for the residents to sign their name to a list for a time to schedule their family's baking back in the mid to late 1800's.

Yes, this is a bit on the large side for a backyard oven, but remember the original was over 7' in length and near 5' in width....and it was for just one family with 15 children !!!!

The two still in use are used during several Civil War reenactments and Pioneering days Festivals. The people that run them were a fount of information for us.
    Last edited by tractorman44; 08-28-2014, 02:35 PM. Reason: Adding info.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
      Regardless of what it is used for efficient oven design dictates insulation as well as the appropriate mass for the expected use.
      We are learning....we are learning, believe me !!!

Thanks to all you guys again, and please feel free to comment, good or bad. The next one will be better I gaurantee it !!

Comment

Just keep on going, you are doing it like they did and it will work just fine with that forest you have.

Comment

Originally posted by tractorman44 View Post
          Yes, it is done intentionally first and foremost because this is our first attempt at a project like this and don't know any better.
          Looking forward to see the finishing of this oven, and the build of the second one. Such a cool idea to appreciate the ancestors by recreating their heritage.
          Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
          I forgot who said that.

Comment

A little further up the sides, we tried to fit stones that give a reasonably straight joint at the start of the arch curvature. Using portions of firebrick to prop the stones at the desired angle also gave close to 4" to fill in with rock dunnage and mortar.

We figured filling this void will increase the body mass' capability to contain heat. The wall and dome thickness ended up approximately 8" to 10" on average. In the areas that were too difficult to trowel in mortar, we mixed a slurry and poured it in to eliminate possible voids. Seemed to work well....

The front and the back averaged somewhat thinner due to our lack of pre-thought. But still thickness was in the vicinity of 5" to 6".

A little further up the same side, the back too was set in place....

Our plan was to use wire wheels on angle grinders to touch up and smooth out the excess mortar in the joints once it set up. Looks kinda rough at first though.

A couple saw-cut stone are visible, but where possible the cuts were covered within the mortared joints. Only one remained visible and that one will get some attention with a hammer and chisel to roughen it up a bit.

Thanks for the acknowledgement v12spirit....and tscarborough, I will reserve a brand new pair of leather gloves with your name on them if you feel the need to stop by for some "exercise"... The woodpile really enjoys visitors and wintertime IS approaching you know....

Next up: Some stone on top and maybe the oven door and frame...

Comment

Nearing the top on this side... For reference, that's a 4 foot ladder I'm standing on.

Dome sides and back mostly completed its time fo the door...

We figured for the door frame a "recess" would be required for the actual door to fit into. A seemingly natural recess was found in this damaged 16" trailer rim. Torching off the outer area of the rim the thinking was to open it up at the bottom, leaving the natural arch of the rim for the top.

We decided on an opening of 16" to 18" in width and 18" to 20" in height.

...so we welded a piece of scrap angle to the face of the rim to allow it to be held easily in the vice. The idea is to use the donor rim as an anvil to stretch the piece over forcing it to remain reasonably round...

Comment

After clamping it in place, a "rosebud" was used on the torch to direct heat around the perimeter of the piece and while red hot, tapped in place with a four pound hammer.

Replacing the clamps with spot welds was necessary because the continual beating with the two-face kept loosening the grip of the clamps on the rounded surface. Not a problem though...the spot welds will just be ground off.

On a non-sequetor note....this is the cement used to bond the firebrick. It was found to apply very easily and when cured it is very hard. The recommended thickness is not more than 3/16" if I remember correctly anyway.

The good thing about being a couple of redneck farm boys working construction for a living is that we seem to have an unending supply of discarded materials from the jobsite trash hoppers at our disposal. So pulling some 3/16" x 6" flat stock from our "stash" netted us the material to make this door frame.

Welding a flat base to it and tacking the newly formed "door recess" around the perimeter, we ended up with this result. It'll be bricked in soon, but first a door must be made to match.....

Comment

G'day
                  Watching your interesting build. Don't want to interfere, but I'll just point that the metal will expand in the heat. It's not just the fit of the door it's the expansion against the brick that might cause problems. The Italians use metal doors in metal surrounds so it " do able" but how they do it I don't know
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                    G'day
                    Watching your interesting build. Don't want to interfere, but I'll just point that the metal will expand in the heat. It's not just the fit of the door it's the expansion against the brick that might cause problems. The Italians use metal doors in metal surrounds so it " do able" but how they do it I don't know
                    Regards dave
                    That was also our concern Dave, but we didn't really take the time to think of another option. The whole project has been kind of a "shoot from the hip" project.

Comment

This is the inside of the front half of the two piece door. The 5 little stubs welded around the perimeter will allow the back piece to be drawn in tight with the nut on the center stud so the two pieces can be welded without too much deflection.

...the mating piece.....

We robbed the insulation from an electric range down in the brothers basement. Figure if its good enough for electric, it'll be ok for wood....

With the door just tacked together, we set it on the hearth stone to see what it was going to look like. The wood framework has got to come out next before any more firebrick goes on.

Comment

Not knowing if its supposed to be done or not, we opted to smoosh more of the 2,000 degree refractory cement into all the joints from the inside. Maybe it'll flake off, I don't know....but at least all the joints are sealed now.

Yeah, our bricklaying skills are just as lacking as our stonesetting skills as evidenced here on the front....

Here's the beginning of the spring loaded latch. Still need to fab a handle or two that won't burn our hands.

Firebrick all the way up, all that's lacking now is to finish the stonework....and the door handles.

Ya'all getting bored yet ??

Comment

I am sorry, but a couple of hours of research would have led you to build a very different oven. Basically, you have built a huge heatsink, and if you plan on venting through the rear opening, an even worse design.

I am sure your forefathers built to the best of their knowledge and skills, but you do not have the same excuse. Tear it down and do it right, or please quit posting so that you do not influence others to build something similar, or using similar design features. The entire design is wrong, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                            I am sorry, but a couple of hours of research would have led you to build a very different oven. Basically, you have built a huge heatsink, and if you plan on venting through the rear opening, an even worse design.

I am sure your forefathers built to the best of their knowledge and skills, but you do not have the same excuse. Tear it down and do it right, or please quit posting so that you do not influence others to build something similar, or using similar design features. The entire design is wrong, period.
                            Hmmmm...NOT exactly the critique I was expecting. So what you are saying is that no matter what we do with this, it is not going to function properly?? Is it that only modern designs are whats accepted here ??

Most importantly...how would an oven of "modern" design do any justice to the original intent of honoring our ancestors by attempting to duplicate an oven built and used by them in the mid 1800's ??

I really doubt that anyone will be influenced enough by our oven to cause them to build a similar one, but I am glad you agree we have built a huge heat sink as that too was the original intent. Once heated, we are expecting an 8 hour baking window with plenty residual left over for overnight roasting of hams, shoulders, tenderloins or briskets.

I sure hope we haven't been wasting our time..... and... please feel free to answer my three questions above.

Comment

G'day tractorman
                              REDBEARD historic bakery - sourdough bakery caf? in Trentham, Victoria
                              Old school bread bakers have there place in the world. I for one would like to see you continue your posts. I can't wait to see how much that thing will bake once hot. I'm glad your your chopping the wood though.
                              In the scheme of things your ovens a dinosaur , the FB oven is BC and the newer stainless steel lined FB ovens must be the microwave of the WFO world.
                              All still WFO of course.
                              Tscar right in a way. As long as people realize that a big oven like yours is for serious long mass cooker and not just a weekend pizza cooker for family and friends it should be right.
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I love it for its historical significance and it looks beautiful.
                                I would love to see what it creates and how hungry it is and how it holds up.
                                Keep posting.

Comment

Working...
                                X