Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hendo's Oven

Thanks Neill.

With thoroughness comes delays however! I look with envy at others who put these things up in a few days, and I'm still wondering how I'm going to overcome the next problem, which no doubt exists only in my mind! I have many people in this forum to thank for continued encouragement and motivation.

Good that it's the 'last' daughter - my project was delayed for similar reasons, but only the one (daughter/wedding) last year so the finances are starting to recover!

Drop me a private message if you like, but I'd be interested in hearing more about the door project - I used to work at BTM at Kilburn, with the Stewarts & Lloyd's foundry across the road, so know a little about pattern making for cast iron products etc, and would like to learn more if you care to share. McKechnie's wouldn't be the foundry of which you speak, per chance?

Good to hear from another Adelaidean.

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Hendo

Beautiful work so far. It looks like you could drive a tank over that hearth!
      Wade Lively

Comment

Hello there, Hendo!

I snuck a quick view of your project before Easter - but was so gobsmacked by the professionalism and thoroughness that I was briefly lost for words! (That from a journo...)

But others have expressed well the unstinting praise you deserve! Splendidly detailed photos, too! Thanks for sharing the experience...

My own haphazard project is still at the hearth curing stage (I poured the slab on Tuesday - pic attached).

Cheers,

Carioca
        "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Excellent work Hendo (and you too Carioca). The boys down under are showing us how it's done!

Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

thats a very serious construction hendo ,have you started the dome yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Hendo View Post
              The blocks are designed to interlock with adjacent blocks and the course above, so once the first course has been laid in mortar (to compensate for any unevenness in the slab), the remaining courses are dry laid. Mortar thickness varied from ?? at one corner to a little over ?? at the opposite corner, so the slab was reasonably level. The blocks are 8? high and are bevelled on the sides and top, to simulate a ?? mortar joint. Laying these blocks was very satisfying work, as it all goes up so quickly!

Wow!

Question, what are those blocks called? I assume my (eventual) supplier can order them. That is so totally cool!

Thanks!
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

Archena,

It's called the Connex Mortarless Block System and is produced by Boral Masonry. You can download a detailed info sheet at http://www.boral.com.au/mdg/pdf/connex.pdf if you're interested.

It was developed in Australia, so I can't comment on its availability in the US.

Good luck!

Thanks to all for your kind words and encouragement - it has been bit wet here lately and I still haven't started the dome. However, other priorities have kicked in, like home maintenance, re-constituting the back lawn after all the activity and trenching, and re-vamping sub-floor cabling for various electrical toys, etc etc.

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Thanks! I really appreciate it!
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

I have not searched for them but they must be available in the US. We blew through Fresno a few weeks back and a friend of the wife's is in a new cookie cutter home AND they have a backyard! The block wall around the property did not have any concrete seams. That implied to me that interlocking blocks are available - I did not get a chance to roam around the neighborhood to find the source of the blocks. I will drop them a line and see if they can find out.

Comment

Cool!

I found a company subsidary in the US but it only makes bricks so I'd pretty much given up on finding them here.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Why the tar paper under the brick in this application?
                        http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                          Cool!

I found a company subsidary in the US but it only makes bricks so I'd pretty much given up on finding them here.
                          I don't know where you are at on your build but I found this thread so I thought Id reply. These types of interlocking blocks are becoming more and more popular. I have a buddy that did a wall and ordered them from Lowe's several years ago. I'm sure Home Depot carry a similar product. You may also want to check with you local masonry yard to see if they have any "seconds" which to them is at the very least least a pallet. Last summer I purchased a version of these blocks that require a bed joint but not a head joint @ .55 for 6x6x18..heck I didn't care they were going to be stuccoed over. Here are some links I found:
                          Azar Mortarless Building Systems Inc.
                          VOBB dry stack concrete blocks
                          http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Originally posted by Unofornaio View Post
                            Why the tar paper under the brick in this application?
                            I'd have to ask the brickie, but I understand the inclusion of some sort of 'damp course' is standard practice to prevent damage due to rising damp - called 'salt damp' here. Quite common in older houses (at least in Adelaide) where the salts in the rising damp crystalize (I think) and ultimately turn the mortar to dust. Debatable for a small structure like this, but having seen what salt damp can do, we erred on the side of caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Hendo View Post
                              I'd have to ask the brickie, but I understand the inclusion of some sort of 'damp course' is standard practice to prevent damage due to rising damp - called 'salt damp' here. Quite common in older houses (at least in Adelaide) where the salts in the rising damp crystalize (I think) and ultimately turn the mortar to dust. Debatable for a small structure like this, but having seen what salt damp can do, we erred on the side of caution.
                              your on the money Hendo...after chatting with my brickie.

The alternate I used to that was I put plastic (Fortecon) under my first pour
                              Cheers
                              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by Unofornaio View Post
                                I don't know where you are at on your build but I found this thread so I thought Id reply. These types of interlocking blocks are becoming more and more popular. I have a buddy that did a wall and ordered them from Lowe's several years ago. I'm sure Home Depot carry a similar product. You may also want to check with you local masonry yard to see if they have any "seconds" which to them is at the very least least a pallet. Last summer I purchased a version of these blocks that require a bed joint but not a head joint @ .55 for 6x6x18..heck I didn't care they were going to be stuccoed over. Here are some links I found:
                                Azar Mortarless Building Systems Inc.
                                VOBB dry stack concrete blocks
                                Thanks! I had found some a few days after making that post but I didn't have one of those links!

'Preciate it!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X