Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hendo's Oven

Originally posted by Hendo View Post
    I'd have to ask the brickie, but I understand the inclusion of some sort of 'damp course' is standard practice to prevent damage due to rising damp - called 'salt damp' here. Quite common in older houses (at least in Adelaide) where the salts in the rising damp crystalize (I think) and ultimately turn the mortar to dust. Debatable for a small structure like this, but having seen what salt damp can do, we erred on the side of caution.
    If this is what I am thinking of its a problem in areas where there is a high alkali content in the ground. Alkali soil looks very much like the white area in your footings the dirt is almost chalky. I suspected thats what it was but since you already had the moisture barrier I thought their might be another explanation for it..now I know..INSURANCE. this "salt damp" you speak of is called something else here in the states that I cannot think of but I have repaired areas like this, the mortar has virtually returned to dust, it does the same thing to concrete. thanks for the reply.
    http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Here is a link to another motarless wall system, Proto II? by Angelus Block.

Proto II? Wall Systems
      -or-
      Angelus Block Co., Inc.

J W

Comment

I forgot about these guys. I filled in as a line mason for a few weeks for a company from your neck of the woods (Design Masonry now called the Masonry Group) very large company we used blocks from Angelous . We were doing perimeter walls for a housing track in Bakersfield that used this post tension system...I honestly have my doubts about it as far as the footing engineering.
        They were getting $85. a liner foot for these walls 9 courses high ungrouted..outrageious. The blocks that I mentioned above (6x6x18's) were manufactured by Angelous.
        Design Masonry has been creeping into the valley for a couple of years now and I did the work with them when they first came up here....BIG- (now after the merger) HUGE COMPANY BAD WORK... they do a lot of super custom stuff which is where they got their start. Their average mason makes $13-15hr and the tenders make $9-10hr WAY below average. Their thing (scam for cheap labor in my opinion) is they recruit guys and train them at their school for a month and send them out to the sites. Another fine example of why the quality of masonry work has gone down hill out here. Billing out at $50.hr its hard to compete with 13-15hr.
        Back to the subject, the blocks are interlocking but they do need a bed joint. Much easier to lay for the novice by eliminating the head joint. I suppose you could dry stack them and the interlocking head would give some extra sheer strength.
        http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Originally posted by jwnorris View Post
          Here is a link to another motarless wall system, Proto II? by Angelus Block.

Proto II? Wall Systems
          -or-
          Angelus Block Co., Inc.

J W
          Thanks! Two new links!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
          X