Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making Progress in Montana

Sharon -
    Looks like you are going with a full length soldier course (other than the taper)?

Great progress by the way! I am currently in the "how do I fit this round peg into a square hole?" stage (ahhhh the benefits of the corner install!)

Joe
    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
      Don't forget the eBay rental plan, you can often sell the used tool for a large fraction of what you paid for it. It can be cheaper than a rental, and you get to keep it for as long as you need it.

Advertise it as used for one weekend home project. Tell the story. Show pictures of the oven. Ebay buyers love stories. It also helps to keep the original packing. It makes it easier to ship, and makes it look well taken care of.
      Oooohhh!!! I like that idea!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

Joe,

Yes, I went with a full height soldier course. To get the angle I went with the full 9” on the outside and 8” on the inside. I will start laying courses today so we will see if my calculations were right. Nothing like a little trial and error.

S

Comment

Wade,

Originally posted by wlively View Post
          I used KS-4, see my post on your other thread.

I have the manuf specs for curing a KS-4 casting. I can post or email it to you.
          Thanks for the offer, but I was able to find the curing specs on line. My sister is a ceramic artist and has a huge kiln that is computer programable. I gave her the specs and she assured me it would be easy. Set the computer and walk away. Come back the next day to a finished product! It's good to have realatives with great tools.

Originally posted by wlively View Post
          I took the left over foam board, bought a can of 3M spray adhesive and glued a rough shape. Then took a saw and cut a more exact shape, then sanded to final.
          What did you use for your final form? You foam board usage got me to thinking - I have quite a bit of 1" polystyrene left over from my dome forms. I'm thinking about using it to build my vent form. Seems like it would be rigged enough a very easy to work with. Any thoughts from the master out there?

S

Comment

S

Here is a picture of my plug I was talking about. I know I was too ambitious. Anyway it turned out well, even after a mishap which made me pour it in two sections. For the outside walls I used left over sections of pink board as well. Plenty stiff enough for the form. KS-4 is pretty stiff anyway, so I really only had to form 2 sides and pack the KS in. Then I was going to place the sides on, but turned out I didn't need to. Nobody was going to see how ugly it looked.
            Wade Lively

Comment

So close to finishing the dome and ran out of bricks! I'll pick up a few more in the morning and try to finish off tomorrow evening.

It may not be the prettiest dome but I'm very proud of it. Almost as proud as I am of myself for not chucking the brick I had in my hand when my husband said some of my bricks were crooked or when my neighbor told me my mortar was messy. Everyone's a critic! I bet they'll be the first two in line when I fire this baby up.

I haven't talked myself into casting my vent yet. I think I will wait until the opening is completely done so that I am certain on my dimensions. Was able to find stainless steel needles locally though so I have everything I need. Best part is I got them for free. They supplier I got the KS-4 from had a couple of extra pounds hanging around from a sample a rep gave him years ago so he gave them to me. I love free! If all goes well I should be ready to cast by the end of the week.

Here are a couple of photos of my progress thus far.

S

Comment

Looks like great work to me! Mine is a lot messier than that (midway through the 4th course).

I was reflecting on the fact that as a beginner mason, my first project involves creating a self supporting dome out of firebrick and refractory mortar! Perhaps I should have practiced on something a bit more basic first.
                "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

I practiced on a flower bed! Three whole courses high (the middle course is laid perpendicular to the other two)!

Next time I'm moving up to actually using mortar!
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                  [/CENTER]

Comment

Yes, nothing like jumping into the deep end of the pool! But I have been surprised by how well it has gone.

I haven't spent a lot of time tidying up the outside mortar as it will never been seen again once I enclose the oven. But I have tried to be fairly meticulous about keep the inside as clean as possible.

S

Comment

Originally posted by swripley View Post
                      <snip> But I have tried to be fairly meticulous about keep the inside as clean as possible. <snip>
                      That's the important part.

J W

Comment

Finished the dome and opening today! I went with the angle iron framed opening and put in the 1/2" reveal for the door stop. Miracle of miracles my opening sides are level! That should make installing the vent easier. Will cast the vent next. Have decided to use 1" rigid polystyrene to make the mold. Will let everyone know how that goes.

Sharon

Comment

Great looking brickwork on the dome. Looking forward to seeing what comes next. I've finished my dome and vent and am starting to work on the house-thingie that goes on next. Keep 'em coming.
                          Mike
                          "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I have been reading your post ?Getting Ready for the Final Push?. Have you decided on a roofing material yet? Hope the IT department gets out of the garden soon, would love to see photos. Your project seems to be just ahead of mine. And at this point, I can use all of the motivation I can find.

S

Comment

Actually I'm still open on the roof idea. A friend, who is a builder, suggested a type of corrugated metal that tarnishes quickly just a thin layer and then doesn't rust or anything after that. I kind of favor a Med look and might use stone on the bottom and stucco on the upper/building area. I don't have much in the way of new photos except for a couple of fire pictures that I took tonight. I'm in the process of making slightly larger fires every day now and should be able to cook something this weekend.

Usually I make a trip to Cody during the summer to see my Uncle but this year we're having to make a shorter trip so I'm going to stay in Western Montana. Flyfishing and making biscuits in the dutch oven. Otherwise I'd angle for a look at your oven.

IT Department is pushing the project now. She wants pizza and some of that bread from Canuck Jim's book. Me too.
                              Mike
                              "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

Great work Sharon!

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Working...
                                X