New Oven Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Oven Started

I've been lurking for a while and thought would post some pictures of my progress. I don't work as fast as some, but I'm not in a hurry. Most of my materails have been recycled from dumpsters at new construction sites. Had to buy the concrete and mortar. Should be under $150.00 for the base.
    Mike

Sweet.

Keep us posted. BTW, there's no "right" speed for the build. These are extensions of ourselves in a lot of ways so go your own speed. After all, they'll outlive us and no one will remember if it took you 2 months or 6 to build.

Jim

Comment

looking good!

It looks really good. I like the circular construction, and the brick approach. It's also great that you search out recycled materials that otherwise would be in the landfill. It's amazing what gets thrown out. Some places have recycled construction material yards where contractors can take surplus materials just to keep them out of the trash stream.

Good work!
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

off to a great start!
        i can definitely state from an obsessive/compulsive order (it's not a disorder!) point of view, that hastiness is not always the best approach. i have to run with it when i get a bug, or i might not go through with it, but taking it slow ensures that you have all your ducks in a row.
        good luck with it!
        -Paul
        overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

New Progress

I've got some new pictures to show recent progress. So far so good.
          Mike

Comment

Few more

Poured the hearth last week. Neighbor was having a new driveway poured and I got the leftovers
            Mike

Comment

How long do you all wait to remove the forms for the hearth? I'm ready to start building the fire brick dome.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by svtlightning
                How long do you all wait to remove the forms for the hearth? I'm ready to start building the fire brick dome.
                Mike
                Ummm...a year? Seriously.

You can start work on the firebrick hearth & dome as soon as the concrete can withstand pressure -- only a couple of days is ok but I prefer letting it cure for a week with daily misting (and then covered with plastic or wet newspaper). The longer moist curing helps maximize the strength of the slab. Take the side forms off then & the bottom ones after you're done with the rest & you're ready to start firing.

Jim
                (BTW, I really didn't take the plywood support from under the hearth for a year. I know folks who have left it for 2 or 3 years for their wood fired brick ovens.)

Comment

nice work!

I like your arch and columns. Were those cast from concrete like your slab?

If the driveway leftover was ready-mix from the truck, that stuff is REALLY strong. You shouldn't have a problem with your slab.

David
                  Last edited by dmun; 07-29-2005, 10:22 AM. Reason: add comment
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

David
                    Yes I cast those out of concrete. I used cardboard carpet tubes for the columns. Jello mold for the column base. The arch was harder to form.

Jim
                    A year! I don't know if I have the paitence to wait that long. I would like to see the hearth slab supporting itself before I add the mass of the dome, etc. on top of it.

Thanks for the help
                    Mike

Comment

concrete people will tell you that concrete is properly cured after 30 days. my contractor had me remove my temporary wall supports when i was retro-pouring a foundation, after only 4 days. and that's the weight of an entire building.

but, they also say that concrete continues to cure for 60 odd years. err on the side of caution and you'll probably be fine. i removed my supports after a week, and haven't had any catastrophies (yet!??!!)
                      -Paul
                      overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Working...
                      X