X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frances
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

[QUOTE=Ken524;17816]I use a piece of string and a broken pencil to work out my cuts.

You have no idea how much better that makes me feel!

(my second oven will be perfect!). QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I keep tellng myself too...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I think we need a photo of Les before he gets his refill on the pills, and of him back on them

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Alright Ken, I was your biggest fan until you mentioned no lost packages, although I will never ship with anyone other than UPS...I have "lost" a couple.
    Damn shame about Hanks and that SATphone...Although I think he really enjoyed the alone time with Wilson.
    Les, have you tried the pills in the brown 12 oz bottles?? My neighbor is the real addict, though.....he gets his in large silver barrels and keeps them in a special refrigerator.

RT

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

As you know, Hendo, Les, Dmun and others use spreadsheets and formulas to cut their bricks. They're amazing; I don't have enough "Pills" to keep up with those guys!

Ken - truth be told - I'm winging it. All my cut's are pretty much "eyeballed". I am only cutting one side of the brick using a shim. Have no clue on how many courses that will apply. I start in the middle of the course and do the left side then move the shim over to cut the right - kinda "divide and conquer" approach.

Your work is AWESOME! With the clean exterior, I assume that you won't be adding any additional cladding? I am adding the extra mass as I plan on insulating the hell out of this. I think it would be fun to go out the next day and cook something from the previous fire.

In regard to the "pills", I stated this in a previous post - it comes in cans.

Les...
    Last edited by Les; 10-23-2007, 07:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Ken, it looks like you have straight cuts throughout the dome building process. Some have done cuts ranging from none to 3/4 sides. Please confirm how many sides you continue to cut, because the work looks great. We have some that wish to perfect the dome, some to get it done, some to learn along the way.
    Acoma.
    Rob,

I have used all sorts of cuts. My first few courses have cuts on three sides. The last course I did (#9) has 2 cuts; the left and right sides and a shim to prop up the back.

I use a piece of string and a broken pencil to work out my cuts. I made all the blocks for my 8th course too tapered (oops). I used them anyway. They were (barely) within my personal tolerances. As you know, Hendo, Les, Dmun and others use spreadsheets and formulas to cut their bricks. They're amazing; I don't have enough "Pills" to keep up with those guys!

Every course has taught me a bit more (my second oven will be perfect!). No matter who's ideas you borrow for your oven, you'll quickly get your own feel and building style based on your skill level and personality.

...and we can't wait to see it!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    That was a FedEx Jet in that movie. UPS doesn't lose airplanes or packages (knock on wood).

Crumb ... that's right.

I never get those movies right.

Yeah, I would knock on wood too!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Would you have opened that last package?
    Or left it alone.. i.e. "Hank's Style?"
    That was a FedEx Jet in that movie. UPS doesn't lose airplanes or packages (knock on wood).

The "last package" was a SatPhone with a fully charged battery (had he opened it, he would have been off the island in about 4 hours).

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, it looks like you have straight cuts throughout the dome building process. Some have done cuts ranging from none to 3/4 sides. Please confirm how many sides you continue to cut, because the work looks great. We have some that wish to perfect the dome, some to get it done, some to learn along the way.
    Acoma.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Oh.. one more thing?

Would you have opened that last package?

Or left it alone.. i.e. "Hank's Style?"

(Somebody had to ask.....)

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

So I guess you fly a DC-8?

I don't know much about airplanes or jets, but man that is cool!

I'm just a boring bean counter!

I do have a question for you.... On your website you have a part where anyone can submit a DC ad... Upon submission you can restore their old photo/ad.

My mom sent me an old picture of herself posing with her mother, father, and siblings. It needs restoration... Can you tell me the program that you use to restore old clippings and photos? I will be seeing her at Thanksgiving, and I would love to have it restored for her as a surprise gift.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Looking awesome Ken.
    Keep it up man!
    Can't wait to see the final product.
    ME TOO!

BTW - Are you a pilot, or were you traveling on business?
    I'm a pilot for UPS. Here's my website (one of my other hobbies): DC8.org

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Looking awesome Ken.

I respect your skillz. Even more so now! Especially after my last few courses!

Yikes!! Was it ugly.

I was cutting bricks into fours... trying to use old triangle shaped pieces.. etc. etc. And the last courses... More square I'd say than round !

Keep it up man!
    Can't wait to see the final product.

BTW - Are you a pilot, or were you traveling on business?

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

9th course is served...

I experimented a bit with this one. There was a very small change in brick elevation on this course so I didn't cut the bottoms of the bricks, I used scrap brick for shims to raise the bricks. Worked out very well.

The sides were trimmed just enough to give a close interior joint (no "V"). The exterior joints still have the "V" but that will be covered up anyway.

Cutting went quickly. It was a good compromise for nice looking interior joints vs. my short attention span for detailed precision cutting.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Dannyboyblue View Post
    I was wondering what you were going to do with that.
    Shims, wedges, scraps and mortar!

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboyblue
    replied

Great job with the ajustment. I was wondering what you were going to do with that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X