Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run an ad?

Chad,

Did you run and ad saying "bricks needed?" Heck, if you were closer, I have a small pile off in a corner of the yard looking for something useful to do. Between walkways, ovens, driveways and edging, everybody must have a few extras.

I read recently that excess building material is the biggest % of our landfills. Putting old and un-needed bricks to use is a great idea. I'll bet other builders could do that.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

no more bricks needed now!

Originally posted by james
      Chad,

Did you run and ad saying "bricks needed?" Heck, if you were closer, I have a small pile off in a corner of the yard looking for something useful to do. Between walkways, ovens, driveways and edging, everybody must have a few extras.

I read recently that excess building material is the biggest % of our landfills. Putting old and un-needed bricks to use is a great idea. I'll bet other builders could do that.
      James
      Yes I did and yes they could. I am still getting phone calls wanting me to come haul off more bricks. Some people want a lot of dough for them eg 25-50 cents a peice. Others just want to get rid of them as they are tired of playing checkers with them in hopes that they will someday use them...

I figure it never hurts to ask. The worst they can do is not call. ;-)
      Renaissance Man
      Wholly Man

Comment

OK update time

Alrighty then, I have pictures. they are all pretty much self explanatory. The "tiger" brick is the ungodly hard one I was telling you about. I couldnt even break one. That is pretty damn hard. The columbia bricks I found in my driveway during an excavation I was doing. The Carr bricks and some other with E&M on them came from a demo job my sweetheart was working on. There are some clinkers which are the expensive bricks. They started out as a mistake, being too close to the fire n the kiln, they would melt together. and have to be broken apart. They used to just junk them, then someone thought they looked interesting so now they charge even more for them. Those can cost from a low of 55 cents to a high of 2.50 each. I use them sparingly, but they are cool looking. Any questions?
        Renaissance Man
        Wholly Man

Comment

more photos

just a few more to show off.
          Renaissance Man
          Wholly Man

Comment

Thanks for the update!
            The wall looks GREAT!
            Keep up the good work.
            Last edited by Royal Fe; 06-20-2006, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Cool item to have

I figured that since I have so much wall to do yet, I may as well make it as easy as possible to get the job done correctly. In the past, when cutting bricks, I have been using my trusty makita grinder with a carbide blade and good hearing and eye protection. Well my makita is getting majorly beaten up and is about trashed so I looked around for a tile saw. I had one of those Home Depot tile table saw things and it was woefully underpowered. Couldnt cut it you might say... I looked at a nice MK saw and they are way too expensive like 899 dollars for a 1.5 hp model. I have a couple of friends that purchased one from Grizzly imports here in Bellingham and it is 2.5 horse, pretty solidly built and a gem to use . They were just on sale, I guess I got one of the last deals although they might still be on sale, but I got mine for 289 + 20 bucks for a new blade. That is a pretty darn good price for a new saw. Check it out. For giggles, I just called one of our local rental places and it costs 40 bucks a day to rent one. I feel even better!
              http://www.grizzly.com/products/H3390
              Renaissance Man
              Wholly Man

Comment

saw

One of our members got bit on the blade wear scam at the rental place. They charged him more than the cost of a new blade for a few thousandths edge wear.

Congrats on your new machine. I just bought an import too, from Harbor Freight. Looks like a solid machine, but not exactly whisper quiet. The only thing that looks sleazy is the circulation pump.
                Last edited by dmun; 06-27-2006, 12:09 PM. Reason: add image
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Same saw

Originally posted by dmun
                  One of our members got bit on the blade wear scam at the rental place. They charged him more than the cost of a new blade for a few thousandths edge wear.

Congrats on your new machine. I just bought an import too, from Harbor Freight. Looks like a solid machine, but not exactly whisper quiet. The only thing that looks sleazy is the circulation pump.
                  DMUN, that bites about the edge wear on the blade. The blade I bought with my saw was only 20 bucks so it isnt that big of a deal.
                  The thing that hacks me off though is your saw is the same exact model as mine. and I paid 90 bucks more! Granted I didnt pay shipping, but...
                  Check it out gents: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46225 have a look-see, it is the same exact one as mine from grizzly imports for only 199.00. Actually, it is not exactly the same, at least from the pics in the owners manual, but pretty darn close Id say. The blade height is adjustable on mine and it does not appear to be from the picture, I could be wrong... Worth checking out though.
                  And wear hearing protection and eye protection with any and all powere saws like this, they all scream. Protect yourself.
                  Chad
                  Renaissance Man
                  Wholly Man

Comment

HF saw

It's not quite as cheap as it looks because they hit you up extra for the stand. Shipping is a hit too, that's why I drove half way across the state to go to the nearest retail store.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

one side finished

Here is a link to a few pics in higher resolution. I have yet to acid wash it but I will do that this afternoon.
                      http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chad/wallpic.jpg
                      http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chad/wallpic1.jpg
                      http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chad/wallpic2.jpg
                      Renaissance Man
                      Wholly Man

Comment

Don't laugh

Chad,

I was wondering if we could mail you a brick for inclusion in your design. It would be there for posterity. I have a motley collection of bricks here, and could send you a yellow firebrick from my first oven. It might add a new hue, and geographical material, to your wall.

Let me know.

You could send me your address as a private message.
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

No laughing matter

James,

No laughter here. Chad, how about a 19th century granite Toronto street cobble? I have hundreds. Heavy, though, so it would have to be sent by UPS.

Jim
                          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I am not laughing! Thanks Fellas

Heck, I'd be honored if you wanted to send a cool brick or cobblestone. I'll be generous and let anybody send me whatever bricks or odd bits of whatever they have to throw in there. I even have three cremation ash urns I am going to work into the wall. This is such a fun project.
                            Send them to:
                            Chad Petersen
                            3114 Birchwood Ave
                            Bellingham Washington 98225

I will find a place of honor for each and every one and send you a photo of it in place.
                            Also, if any of you are in the Northwest and want to check it out please feel free to come by and say hello.
                            Renaissance Man
                            Wholly Man

Comment

Gaudi-esque

Chad

My wife was stunned when I showed her the pictures. We're going to be in B'ham next Friday afternoon. Any chance you'll be home for a tour?
                              Mike
                              "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

Originally posted by El Puaco
                                Chad

My wife was stunned when I showed her the pictures. We're going to be in B'ham next Friday afternoon. Any chance you'll be home for a tour?
                                It is certainly a possibility. I have a brother coming in from out of town for a visit so we may be running around, but I would be happy to try and meet you. Perhaps early afternoon?
                                Renaissance Man
                                Wholly Man

Comment

Working...
                                X