Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Start of the restaurant/bakery oven

Thanks David!
    I don't really know what type...trusting my wife's partner with it...she is in the construction business as an estimator(I think)...she is working on getting it through a stone counter guy she deals with...we'll have to see!!!Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

A couple of pics of the chimney
      4 sections of 8 inch square by 2 foot terracotta flue tiles hide behind those brick...at the top of the last one we will transition it from masonry chimney to chimney pipe...
      All the best!
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Looks great, A quick question: How is the chimney attached to the wall? Are there some sort of pins or anchors physically attaching/tying the chimney to the wall?

Bests,
        Wiley

Comment

The chimney rests upon bricks at the bottom and every 3 courses up the wall it is "tied" to the wall using metal wall ties...basically metal straps that are nailed into the wall using a special masonry nails...works like an concrete anchor except that you tap it in with a hammer
          Best
          Dutch

Comment

Here's a couple of pics with the scaffolding gone and a coat of render on the top of the dome...funny story about the render...a friend had leftover bags of spec mix from a job I helped him with and he gave them to me to use for chimney and basic bricklaying as they were type S...anyway...had a partial bag of the spec mix as well as an open bag of type N mixed with fireclay...grabbed the wrong bag and mixed it...funny how plastic just mortar and firelcay looks!!!...put it in a bucket, remixed with the spec mix and at the end of the day mixed the other with sand for rendering the dome...wasn't necessarily planned but couldn't waste all that mortar and clay...just a thin coating though...probably 1/2 and inch on average!!!
            Best
            Dutch

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you taking your masonry chimney all the way up past the roof?
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                Just out of curiosity, why aren't you taking your masonry chimney all the way up past the roof?
                dmun
                to save a bit of time...weight...etc...etc...it would be about 30 feet of chimney in all and although the wall is sound these types of walls usually had their flue runs built into the wall...I just couldn't be sure that it would hold up to the weight of the chimney pulling outward(potentially) when it moves a bit as I expect it will...
                Best
                Dutch

Comment

Although we have not posted any pictures on this thread lately we have made progress...here are a few of the steel framing, insulation, durock enclosure and roof!
                  More to follow!
                  Dutch

Comment

Here are a few of the nearly completed enclosure, completed chimney stack
                    Dutch

Comment

And here are a couple of the first curing fires!
                      Best
                      Dutch

Comment

Dutch,

This oven project is looking great! Good job...

How is your plan coming together for the business? Are you close enough to schedule opening date?

Thanks for keeping us posted on the full project.

JED

Comment

Wow, that is so nice! I love the way it fits on the house - its not even finished yet and it already looks as if it had been there forever.
                          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Here's a few pics of the last day of curing...on the schedule at least...more curing with time I suppose. Today was the big fire...topped out the infrared to HI...with a pretty big fire...not SCARY in my opinion...about 80 to 90 minutes to get it up to speed...floor is still a bit cool but I think the insulation is still drying a bit...maybe bake a loaf or two of bread in it?
                            Merry Christmas to all!
                            Best
                            Dutch

Comment

Nice fire! At what temp does your IR gun max out?
                              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

Beautiful! Your customers are in for a treat!
                                Nikki

Comment

Working...
                                X