Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" Barrel Dome on a budget

Hi all,
    I've taken a steel barrel, lined it with 1" bricks and flipped it over a 2'x3' engineered slab that my friend was going to install at a pizza restaurant. I don't know what it is, I've never built anything like this before and I don't have much money for this. I'm posting this to encourage others without much means to give it a crack. I'd love to hear your opinion on what might fail and what I should do differently.

I don't have plans for what a final product will look like. I have covered the whole thing in lime plaster, a very rough first coat, though no pics yet.

I used mismatch cinder blocks to build a base, and used Quickwall on the outside of the whole thing, not using any mortar on the blocks at all.

I poured a slab in 3 separate layers, adding more insulation with each layer, and also laying down a few glass bottles under the stone. The stone I used for the cooking deck is the same size as the barrel I wanted to use, and seemed a shame not to match the sizes, and would simplify things, in many ways.

The oven is probably a bit taller than I need i to be, but I am cranking out pizzas, and depending on how I have the coals and wood going, they cook in about 2-3 minutes. I get the deck to at least 500, and usually rake the coals over the deck between pizzas. The interior bricks register at 800 or so, most of the time. I had some heavy duty kiln bricks that I wanted to use, but my potter friend thought it would take too long to get the oven up to temp. He may have been right, though I now wonder what it would be like if I used them instead of the ones he gave me. The ceiling is lined with light duty fire bricks from a stone supply store. The walls are lined with these very light weight and easy to cut bricks from my potter friend. He used them in a kiln and they are literally almost like styrofoam. The ones I had were massive and heavy, and I actually did end up using them in a few places. My laser thermometer shows them both at about the same temp, most of the time.

I'll post a few more pics as I learn this site a bit more. WARNING: If you used any kind of planning software on a computer, or are even beyond a novice at most trades related to WFO building, proceed at your own risk.
    Attached Files

Not sure how to turn these pictures...only some seem to have turned. I'm also using the camera icon here, so hopefully these are easier to view.

Comment

Working...
    X