Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Space in my Backyard.

Hi Haggrid,

I see in the forth photo you posted today, there are several bricks in the third course where the joint between the brick lines up closely with the joint in the brick on the course below, in the second course.

I have read several guys are advising to minimize lining up these joints between the courses of brick.... When the joints stack from course to course this evidently provides an easier place for the dome to crack with the thermal cycling...

The solution when you are installing the brick two or three bricks before the joint will stack, cut that brick in half and this will get the joints staggered, or offset again.

Hope this helps..

JED

Comment

pizzajnky
      the arch is 380mm bottom of the brick. from what i have since seen here that might be a tad high if it is i will make a door filler for it.

gjbingham
      i think i will take the wait and see approach it will be a while till i get to height with the rest of the dome and if it has not changed by the time i do i will leave well enough alone.

Jed
      the stack bond is a stuff up i figure that i can leave those courses and mke sure it does not happen again.
      i need to pay more attension to what i am doing.

Comment

Hagrid, I think you're right about the joints lining up - keep what you've got. On my oven I started each row at the point where the last row lined up most, making sure no bricks lined up for more than two or three rows at most.

And the archway, too. Its not a major crack, mine looks like that in places, too. To my untutored eye it looks as if it'll be fine.
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

the stack bond is a stuff up i figure that i can leave those courses and mke sure it does not happen again.
          i need to pay more attension to what i am doing.
          Since each course has a decreasing number of bricks it's inevitable that some joints will line up. I wouldn't want a full running seam from top to bottom, but I wouldn't worry about an occasional aligned joint.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi all
            so i am after adivce.
            should i cut the corners off the bricks to make wedge shape as yet i have not but i was woundering if i should

thank you

Comment

I guess you dont bored during the curing process of concrete. Looks great and my hat is off to you.
              Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
              like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

i am just about to put up some more images of where i have got to but i was also hoping to get a bit of advise on wheather to cut off corners of bricks or not.
                Regards
                Mark

Comment

i have started to use full bricks over the arch so they rest on the arch.

Comment

Looks good! I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really like that arch! Bet we'll be seeing more of these in future...
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks Frances
                      i did not think i was doing anything different anyway it seems to be working. i was hopeing that you might be able to tell me if the bricks need to be cut to a wedge shape
                      thanks again.
                      Mark

Comment

I was hoping that you might be able to tell me if the bricks need to be cut to a wedge shape.
                        It's entirely your call. Since you are using refractory mortar you will have a hard, durable surface on the inside of your oven if you decide to fill the triangles with mortar. In the end, it boils down to a matter of aesthetics. Those of us who have done a cut-every-brick build don't necessarily have ovens that cook any better than those with a rougher finish inside.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Nice work Hagrid, I see your using materials from field furnace eh? thats what my dad used for his oven (there factory is only 5min from us so its handy).

Just curious what did they charge you for the Insulation fire bricks, the fire floor tiles and the fire bricks on the dome? (unit price?)

Also im sure you wont have any problems but after using my dads oven i would change a few things around.

I.E my dad also had the slab, then I.F.B, then the fire tiles. When i build mine im going to add a 2 inch's of the insulation board Field Furnace Refractories

Also if you havent already done so i would suggest when you finish the dome, give the outside a nice coat of high temp mortar (i know its costly but will be well worth it). We only added 2inch's of kaowool but i would suggest 4 inch's. Finally i would have in cement rendered with a high temp mortar or fireclay.

This will basically give you around 5-6inch's minimum of insulation both on the bottom and on the top.

If your in the area to pick up some more materials let me know and ill show you my old mans oven.

Good luck!
                          Regards
                          Adrian

Comment

Dmun
                            Thank you for the information on the bricks. I was getting a little worried that as the bricks got steeper if they were not cut into a wedge then over time and temperature they could fall in. If it is only an aesthetics thing then I am not up to the challenge of the time it will take to cut all the angles. I must say that I admire the work some people have put into their ovens and I feel a bit like a heathen with the basic finish I am planning for mine and if one of my invited pizza eaters trash talked the inside of my oven because of the gaps with mortar they would find the future pizza/meals pretty slim on the ground.

Adrian
                            Thanks for the comments. I have on other posts told what I have spent on the backyard projects so far in total ($4600) so others can get a feel for what they might be up for. This of course includes all the material for the concrete I have done and am still to do when I get off my butt. (i wish i was not so lazy at heart) For the oven alone it was ($2227.00) this included an amount for freight. Again I am happy to tell this so as others may know what they might be up for. I must say though that I feel uncomfortable giving a unit price out as it would be up to Field Furnace (ffr) to do that. I hope you understand. As for the other suggestions. I did make plans when I purchased the products for over supply.(freight is a killer) I am a teacher in Canberra and have no way of getting to ffr to get product if I ran short. So at the present rate of consumption of high temp mortar I will have more than enough to coat the outside. I purchased enough insulation blanket for four layers 100mm as I see this as a better option than not enough. Also I am not using any other forms of insulation as other I have seen on the web site do. I think 100mm of kaowool is okay.
                            I did check that the ifb’s were going to be okay on their own. Oh well to late now anyway.
                            Thanks for all the comments and I am happy to answer any other questions or take any other advise (you can never get to much advise).
                            Regards
                            Mark
                            Might i also take this oppotunity to thank James for the provision of this forum and all its help Thank you.
                            Regards
                            Mark
                            Last edited by Hagrid; 06-05-2008, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hagrid View Post
                              Dmun
                              and if one of my invited pizza eaters trash talked the inside of my oven because of the gaps with mortar they would find the future pizza/meals pretty slim on the ground.
                              Well, if they come to eat pizza and can look into the inside of the oven to check for gaps, your oven isn't hot enough! More wood, man!

I think most people are so impressed with the thought of building one yourself that they'll think it's great no matter what. And the ones who nitpick, well, we don't invite them back again.
                              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

i finished the top of the dome today i was feeling really chufed and started to work on the entrance arch. i got most of it up and when i stood back and looked. it did not look good so i had to pull it down. that finished me for the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X