• Show
Clear All

• mk e
    replied
    Day 2 brought a finished dome

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Once the base was down the dome began....I sawed a lot of bricks. Day 1 ended with 1/2 to 2/3 of a dome

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Brother arrived friday of labor day weekend....to rain so we focused on drinking beer. Saturday was dry so the oven began! ....boringly with a layer of bricks on the bottom. They came out pretty flat but skipping ahead to day 2 he gave it a quick sand to get it perfect.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Brother delayed so I finished the patio and planted some stuff.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    At this point my brother, the one that actually knows what hes doing, told me he'd be in the area in a few weeks and would swing by to help (as in actual do) building the oven done so I moved on to building a counter along side the oven. We wanted to keep the view to the pool area so I made it a floating counter......I put LOTS of steel in it so hopefully it stays floating.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Then I put another 2.5" of concrete, The thought is this will make the floor and the same thermal mass as the dome.

I include a thermal break between the oven and apron areas then went back and filled it with vermiculite

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Next 4" of vermiculite.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Then another slab. A tip from my brother was a piece of cement board on the bottom... just set it in and pour, nothing to remove

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    The base is 8" block which leaves big gaps on the diameter I have....I just wrapped it and poured the blocks full of concrete which also filled all the gaps. I don't think it showed in the foundation pics but the in-ground part I wrapped with cardboard, backfilled, then poured. Easy.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Now the actual base.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    This is a raised patio so once i was up out of the ground I put a slab.

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    More building, working around the stuff 8d just finished but no longer really needed...

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    Right about now, just as I'm finishing up the island foundation extension is when the oven requested actually came in the timeline.....bugger....

ok .....more digging, more concrete

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    More digging and building

Leave a comment:

• mk e
    replied
    In the space I have there is 7ft patio to pool fence and an existing L island. The plan included pushing the raised patio wall out 3ft and moving the side counter with it.

I started digging to move the walls Memorial day weekend.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X