Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

I'm still dancing around with concrete guys. I'd rather trade for the hearth pour (free concrete, who wouldn't like it?), but it's been weeks and weeks and two guys have flaked out now. I'm ready to call the ready-mix guys, who all say they can be there the next day. If we do that, I want to take advantage of the concrete and pour the cores at the same time, so I dry stacked the rest of the outdoor kitchen:

It's fun to see some progress again. Drew is taking Ainsley camping this weekend with the neighbors (an Indian Princesses thing), so I'm not sure exactly what our schedule is. Drew has a lot of vacation days--I'll see if I can convince him to take one and do lots of hard labor for me. ;-)
    Nikki

Comment

Nikki Looks good! Are you having a problem with guys just showing up? That sucks...what are they saying when they flake out?
      David and Cynthia Manchester

Comment

I haven't even been able to get them to schedule a date. So far, they say "maybe next week, maybe next week, definitely next week let's coordinate on Wednesday." And then they stop answering my calls and emails. I'm fed up and am ready to do whatever it takes to advance the project...short of mixing all that concrete by hand in the wheelbarrow. ;-) Renting a mixer would cost nearly as much as having the premix delivered, so that's our plan now.
        Nikki

Comment

Yeah there's a breaking point in the rent mixer/delivery question. Thankfully I have a friend who has a mixer, but I have rented/used a redi-mix truck in the past. You'll get a better mix from the truck too. The Portland content in bag mixes always seems to come up short if you want it to look really nice. I always weigh out my mix of sand/stone and portland for finish concrete. Just make sure you have your ducks in a row before they show up..they charge by the hour
          David and Cynthia Manchester

Comment

More progress at long last. After having six concrete companies (including small-volume ready-mix delivery companies) flake on me over the last three months, we finally just went and rented a mixer and did it ourselves.

I'm not allowed to lift anything over 20 pounds, so my role was mostly to be in charge of the hose. Two of our neighbors graciously helped out--the whole court is looking forward to me finishing the project. ;-)

As the concrete dried, two small cracks formed. I accidentally deleted the pictures I took, but I'll take more tomorrow. I really really hope they won't pose any problems, because I don't even want to think about how to pull down that slab.
            Nikki

Comment

Oh, don't you just hate that, when you're not allowed to lift anything and have to depend on others to get anything done?! I remember it all too well...

I'm really glad to hear you've finally got the hearth poured now, that must feel good! It looks very solid on those pics, so hopefully the cracks will be ok.
              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Hooray, we've started the dome! I finally feel like we're going to have an actual oven sometime soon. I haven't started mortaring anything yet; that fun will start tomorrow. The Harbor Freight wet saw works like a dream, and my husband concurs that those assembly directions are probably the worst he's ever encountered.

We've changed our mind about the enclosure, and are now going to frame it in and cover in the same stone. It meant we didn't have to be as precise about the floor and insulation cuts.

It is incredibly frustrating having to rely on other people for a lot of things while I'm pregnant, but Drew has really stepped up even though this is my pet project. I'm just delighted that I'm to a part of the project where the heaviest thing I have to lift is an 8 pound brick. I'm allowed to do that!
                Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by Modthyrth View Post

It is incredibly frustrating having to rely on other people for a lot of things while I'm pregnant
                  It just reaffirms the saying "Nothing will get done when you screw around"

Really , you guy's are off to a fantastic start - good luck and god speed. And congrats on the rug rat - good times!!

Les...
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Dome Day II: The Start of Mortaring

Things I have learned today:

--Being able to make nice cakes does not mean that I will have any innate ability to spread mortar well.

--A small flat spatula stolen from the kitchen is a very handy tool in building a wood fired oven.

--Boobs stick out and bonk into the dome and get especially messy. Wear shirts I really really care nothing about, and don't run out to Home Depot without expecting odd stares.

--This takes WAY longer than I would have guessed. I guessed, doubled the time in my mind, and was STILL way under.
                    Nikki

Comment

--Boobs stick out and bonk into the dome
                      It's pretty much stated in every thread - we want pictures.
                      You are right about raiding the kitchen for tools - I was wise enough to avoid the wrath of wife - I went to the dollar store and bought spoons, buckets, etc...

Les...

Comment

--Boobs stick out and bonk into the dome and get especially messy.
                        Funny, I didn't have that problem!
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                          Funny, I didn't have that problem!
                          Sadly, I didn't either... I expect you'll have more trouble with the belly soon, anyway! I had banged up knees, though. From squatting, standing on my hearth, and leaning over to do the brick as I got closer to closing in. But then, I didn't tidy up my joints as I went, either, I just used enough mortar to stick them where I wanted and I used a mortar bag to fill in when I was done. Would have been cool to use a star tip to pipe some rosettes, huh?

You've got a good start there- keep it up! It is a lot easier to put them on flat than when you're doing your soldier course, so it gets better from here. Take care of your back, though, and watch your balance!
                          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Nikki,

It may be taking awhile, but it looks great! You will have the dome shape in just a couple days at the rate you are working now!

And then it is just a bit more work and you will be cooking...

Keep up the good work.

JED

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
                              Sadly, I didn't either...
                              Yeah, well I don't normally have these mondiferous conostihogans, either. Guess I'm not used to them. Think I can get this etsy seller to modify her shirt?

"I'm so crafty I make people AND wood fired ovens."
                              Nikki

Comment

mondiferous conostihogans
                                I'm going to have to google that one.

Awesome Nikki, thanks for the pic - you're a great sport! Keep us posted on the progress of your child - WAY more important than an oven...

Les...

Comment

Working...
                                X