Our WFO in " Jersey"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Our WFO in " Jersey"

I had to put in the pics of the dome, what thread would be complete without it! Here are some of the floor and the dome inside. I liked the herringbone pattern for the floor, I put the floor down first and then locked it in on the side with the first course.
    David and Cynthia Manchester

Comment

Here's some of the insulation blanket layer and wire mesh. Then I coated it with a scratch coat of plain stucco to even things out before starting the insulation vermiculite layers.

Comment

Here are some pics with the lights and the concrete tops in. I also ran a plug and a switch for the lights underneath the left concrete top. I will have more pics later of the secondary arch and further project...calling it a night
        David

Comment

Wow. Instant oven. And landscaping.

Really looks good. The general has a good eye for shape! I love the shape of your enclosure. I also like the firepit concept. Maybe in my next house... Your counters are lovely- I like the color a lot. The whole thing looks very, very nice.

I also like your supervisors. Really cute.
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Thanks for the compliments! Our supervisors say they will not take bribes or compliments...just pizza! What is great about this project is we can really have fun with it, there have been a couple...hmmm nah let's do this color or completely started over on something. You then get to see what works (in our minds) and what doesn't. I know our taste is a little different, but we took cues from everyone on here. It really is a great source of info. I have to take some current pics at where we are at now. Hopefully today!

Comment

Here's some pics today, it shows the new fascia arch, the tile work around back..still have to grout that. The place is still a work in progress mess but figured I'd let you know where I'm at now. Wy wife and I are playing with the painted scrolls that are going to be part small stone on the dome. Let me know what you think
              Dave

Comment

Frances is our resident "swirly bit" expert... but I think they'll look cool. I really like the arch treatment.

It's a bit disorienting to see it happening so fast! Blink and it's done!
                Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Oh it was far from a blink..i just got to posting now. I actually thought I was just about done with the oven..when I was like..the dome looks a little plain..hmmm what can we do. I just don' want it to look too busy. We're just painting them on for now because if it does end up -less than- I can just paint back over it. Frances's swirls are really cool! I just didn't want to copy....

Comment

Wow!!

I love the shape of the whole instalation, and the little lanterns, and the irregular rocks round the archway, and the tiles at the back....

What is a "fascia" arch? Is it the white shaped bit over the archway? What's that out of? It looks really good.

About the swirly bits. Well, first of all thank you . But I hardly invented swirls, and certainly don't have a patent out on them or anything. I just love the look... and I think they go very well with the overall design of your oven. Its not copying, its taking an idea you like and adapting it to your taste.
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thank you so much for the compliments. The fascia arch over the front (that looks like a flame) is concrete also, it's made with white portland instead of grey and pigmented with "light umber" ocher pigment from the earth pigments company. It's actually the second iteration....I made a smaller one with only one flame "wisp." I cast that one an orange color, but it didn't look good, seemed to take away from it. I tried acid staining it....nah. SO then I figured I'd try in a more subdued color, which I liked, but looked a little plain..so I came up with the idea for the rock arch. Which I really like. I remember my art teacher in school telling me that sometimes you can turn mistakes into opportunities creatively, and that was one instance where it worked out for me. I cast all the concrete tops/pieces offsite in molds. I am making a really thick one for a counter peninsula that will hold the grill and other things...I don't know if I will get to that this season though.

Comment

Yeah...it really looks cool...whereabouts in Jersey are you...I grew up in Orange county NY and went to college in North Jersey
                        Have fun cooking in it!
                        Best
                        Dutch
                        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Hey Dutch, thanks! We are in Central NJ, Millstone Twp. to be exact. Near the horse park of NJ. We are really psyched about the upcoming fall season and having our first pizza party. On a drive to a friends today we had an idea for having a removable pot hanger to place over the fire pit to boil mulled cider in. The work never ends.... Also a little off topic..anyone know where to get applewood logs? I think your WFO oven restaurant/bakery is an awesome idea! I am a contractor and really like what you have done with the front of your building, keeping the historic value. Any plans for serving any good beers there?
                          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by David Manchester View Post
                            Hey Dutch, thanks! We are in Central NJ, Millstone Twp. to be exact. Near the horse park of NJ. We are really psyched about the upcoming fall season and having our first pizza party. On a drive to a friends today we had an idea for having a removable pot hanger to place over the fire pit to boil mulled cider in. The work never ends.... Also a little off topic..anyone know where to get applewood logs? I think your WFO oven restaurant/bakery is an awesome idea! I am a contractor and really like what you have done with the front of your building, keeping the historic value. Any plans for serving any good beers there?
                            Dave
                            Thanks David
                            I will be posting some pics of the progress of the last few days and weeks tomorrow. It has been a bunch more work for us to do it respectfully but it will be worth it in the long run. We hope to get some beer and wine on the menu but have to get approval from the city council before I can say for sure. I would suggest contacting a local orchard...they periodically prune their trees and you might be able to get some from them. I would guess the smaller the orchard the better as they would be less likely to wholesale them to some BBQ company for smoking chunks.
                            All the best to you !
                            Dutch
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

David,

I'm getting in on your post a little late - awesome design, I love the "wings". Outside the box and looking great - Enjoy!

Les...
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Dutch,
                                I will try asking some local orchards for their trimmings, good idea! Good luck with everything and keep us posted. We were in Columbus Miss. not too long ago for my Brother in laws graduation from Flight school for the Air force, are you close to there?

Les,
                                Hey thanks man, getting a compliment from you is like a nod from the master Thanks for all your info you posted on your build it was a great help!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X