Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Larry?s Inferno

Very, very nice.

You might have answered this before, but type of brick is that. I really like the look. Keep going!
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi James
      Thank You! The brick I'm using is old Chicago brick. It basically came from 2 different sources off of Craigslist. One guy was using them as paver's in a patio and the other had them in a small pile in his garage. I just couldn't resist the look and the price turned out to be less than half of new brick.

Ciao
      Larry

Comment

Second Pour next the insulation layer.

Comment

Larry,
          Do you have any updates?
          Very Nice!
          fb66

Comment

I try to layout as much as I can on paper before I start working on each piece of the oven. This is how I drew the bottom of the oven. Big circles are always hard to draw accurately so I use some picture hanging wire and crimp connectors with a pencil. The wire works better than string because there's less stretch. I put a piece of flat wood under the center and nail one end through the paper into the wood. Once the pattern is cut I can use it to help me locate exactly where I want to place the oven and I can then transfer the lines to the top slab. I hope this helps anybody that has to draw big circles.

Comment

I like to stack the bricks up to get different ideas as to how the finished oven will look and for placement of the oven. The wood in the front is where a piece of black granite is going to sit. It will hang over the front by about 7". My wife had the idea to hang a row of bricks off the right side so friends could place a drink or a plate. I guess we're going to have to get some bar stools now! Ha

Comment

Originally posted by larrya1049 View Post
                My wife had the idea to hang a row of bricks off the right side so friends could place a drink
                Larry - great minds think alike. Anywhere you go around my oven is a place for a beverage It looks a good plan...

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Well I took advantage of the week long furlough that my company supplied and was able to get the Insulation layer poured. I was also able to get the few remaining parts to complete my oven build. Of course finding HeatStop and a flue liner proved to be a challenge in south Florida “The Land Of AC”. I wish I could I have gotten more done this week but I’ve been dodging rain storms which is a good thing! It’s been bone dry here for months and we desperately need the rain. Hopefully I will be able to start the oven floor this weekend if I don’t go hiking. I hope that everyone is well.
                  Just a word about the insulation layer. I used a 6 to 1 to 1 mixture of Perlite to Portland cement to water. The consistency was like a really dry grits. Forget about troweling this stuff. But I did tamp it down lightly about a 1/4" after screeding it the first time then filled and repeated until I got to the top of the form.
                  Last edited by larrya1049; 05-15-2009, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I was able to layout, cut and level the floor last week. I also started cutting the bricks for the uprights for the oven entrance. Hopefully if the rains hold off I can start building the dome this week. The firebrick cuts very easy as compared to cement pavers and I find this part very enjoyable and relaxing. I leveled the floor on about a 1/4" 50/50 mixture of fireclay and builders sand. Now as I look at the floor I see some little pieces that I will re-cut and incorporate in to some of the larger blocks. I'm not sure why I didn't see it yesterday. I hope you all have a great memorial day weekend and post lots of pictures from your pizza party's.

Comment

Larry, Looking good. As a fellow Boca Ratoner, where did you get your bricks?
                      Cheers!
                      Tony

See My Photos:http://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboca5/IlForno#

My thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...orno-6995.html

Comment

Sorry for the previous post, I just saw from a previous post where the bricks came. (Just starting to learn how to navigate the site.) I was too thrilled to see someone in Boca making an oven. I'm thinking about attempting one of these in the next few weeks. But i'm still searching for local low duty firebricks.
                        Cheers!
                        Tony

My thread:

Comment

Hi Tony! I was able to get the firebrick from Cemex at Atlantic ave and I95 in Delray. If you need any help or have any questions I'm more than happy to give you a hand. I have sources for everything needed.

Comment

Larry, Thanks for the offer. I did stop by the cemex today, but I was disappointed when the clerk said he did not know much about the bricks. I read that a rule of thumb is that the low duty bricks weigh 8lbs. Is that what yours are?
                            Cheers!
                            Tony

My thread:

Comment

I read that a rule of thumb is that the low duty bricks weigh 8lbs.
                              Low, medium, and high duty firebricks weigh about the same, as do common bricks, adjusted for the fact that they are smaller and sometimes have holes in them.

The weight rule of thumb is to warn builders off of insulating firebricks, which weigh less than half, and are unsuited to oven building.
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Tony I just replied to your question in your other post.

Comment

Working...
                                X