Corner Casa 110 installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corner Casa 110 installation

We have a 7 foot stucco wall around the back yard. One corner has a sitting area that has never been used -- a perfect spot for the WFO.

Here's a few photos of the foundation installation.

Re: Corner Casa 110 installation

Absolutely looks like a great spot! Looking forward to watching your build.

Travis
    TravisNTexas

Comment

Next step - the stand and slab.

Since CA is earthquake country I tied the block wall to the foundation slab with epoxied 1/2" rebar, and continued the rebar into the oven base slab.

I used 2" angle iron to support concrete board as the "floor" of the oven base slab form. The concrete board and angle iron were not removed, they are a permanent part of the structure.

Oven base slab is 3.5" of regular concrete and 4" of portland cement/vermiculite mix.

Comment

That's a lovely setting! What are you planning for the outside of the oven - matching the wall or the floor, or something else entirely?
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
          That's a lovely setting! What are you planning for the outside of the oven - matching the wall or the floor, or something else entirely?
          The exterior will match the wall stucco. I want it to blend in, rather than stick out too much.

Comment

I have a Casa 100 which I installed "corner style" even though it is free standing and not in a corner. I think you have done a lovely job and it will look great finished the same as the wall. You may want to put a few of the lovely stones like you have at the base. That would add some texture to your structure without "sticking out" too much. Good luck and enjoy!

Comment

On to the next steps - setting the oven floor on a bed of Refmix, placing and mortaring the Casa 110 components, and finally mounting the chimney components.

In the final picture you'll see that I also began a bit of the enclosure work - framing in the wood storage arch with metal studs and concrete board.

Comment

Next steps - framing the outer structure, decorative landing and arch, 4" of insulation. Small curing fires also in progress.

Comment

Way to go Sakoman,

Looking good! I like the curved entry into the wood storage (framing that with hardibacker was smart), the oven entry arch is sweet, and I can see that you are fully framing in the steel chimney. Nice.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                    I can see that you are fully framing in the steel chimney. Nice.
                    Yeah, though practical, I really hate the look of steel chimney.

I was a bit concerned about how it would draw with the cap enclosed like that. But the initial curing fires showed absolutely no issues -- draws amazingly well.

This kind of design does require lots of small and non-square concrete board cuts. The top of the chimney is lined both inside and out. And the "floor" of the inner enclosure slants back to a slot in the rear of the chimney so rainwater and debris can flow out onto the roof. You can see in the 3rd photo that I've already lined the interior of the chimney and if you look close you can see the sloped floor.

I'm starting to pay the price of a design with lots of angles

Comment

Originally posted by sakoman View Post
                      I was a bit concerned about how it would draw with the cap enclosed like that. But the initial curing fires showed absolutely no issues -- draws amazingly well.
                      My Artigiano chimney angles back and then up, and it is also fully enclosed, and it still draws perfectly. The fundamental design of the oven is so nice.

Keep up the good work.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

A design with a lot of angles indeed! But the work your doing looks just great.

Got me thinking ahead about what I am going to do with the top of my octagonal oven when the time comes I have no experience with metal framing materials, but every time I see pictues of folks using them they look really cool and maybe not too difficult to work with!

Travis
                        TravisNTexas

Comment

Getting to the home stretch -- concrete board and a first coat of stucco.

I'll be painting the stucco with elastomeric paint to match the wall, but since it needs to cure for a month before painting, I added some color to the stucco so I don't have to look at a big grey blob for the next 4 weeks.

Close observers will notice that I ran out of stucco with about one square foot to go. I wasn't aiming for that faux aged look I'll clean that up on the next coat.

I'm looking around now for an interesting medallion to mount on the front of the chimney. Lots of choices in cast "stone" and metal, but none seem quite right. Also plan a plank door for the wood storage area (sort of a miniture version of the plank garden gates in the stucco wall).

Comment

Originally posted by staestc View Post
                            I have no experience with metal framing materials, but every time I see pictures of folks using them they look really cool and maybe not too difficult to work with!
                            This was my first time using metal studs and they are cool and not too difficult to work with!

Don't be afraid, just dive in and do it.

Comment

I hate it when you run out with so little to go! I did that over and over when building my oven with the mortar. I don't think I ever got it to work out evenly!

Your work looks great. You've done an outstanding job framing it in and finishing it. Just take your time finding what you want for the front- it will come to you eventually.
                              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Working...
                              X