38" vault in tropical Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 38" vault in tropical Australia

Well, it's been a while since I last posted here, but I'm happy to say my oven is finally complete.

We have been successfully using it while it was being finished, but it's great to have it looking good too.

Being a vault with a very thick base, it does take longer to heat up than the smaller dome oven's, but the upside is it will bake three batches of bread with one firing. It does pizzas just fine as well.

Comment

One of the nicest ovens I've seen anywhere. Congratulations!

I'm building a similar one now and appreciate the inspiration. But I'm curious if the book detailed the oven door construction adequately? My first couple reads left me confused.

Did you find additional helpful information elsewhere?

(I bet you have some great snakes, lizards and frogs to keep you company up there in the north woods!)

Joe

Comment

Thanks for your kind words, glad you like it.

I had various books/plans/internet-sites. Most of the doorway design is pretty close to Rado Hand's 'Swishy' oven and Alan Scott's 36" bread oven design.

The doorway does look a bit confusing on plans but it makes more sense when you're actually laying the bricks.

Yes, there is plenty of wildlife to see here; and some to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Onefella View Post
          Well, it's been a while since I last posted here, but I'm happy to say my oven is finally complete.

We have been successfully using it while it was being finished, but it's great to have it looking good too.

Being a vault with a very thick base, it does take longer to heat up than the smaller dome oven's, but the upside is it will bake three batches of bread with one firing. It does pizzas just fine as well.

Great job, glad to see another vault!
          Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Working...
          X