Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've finally started our oven in Costa Rica

Originally posted by Wiley View Post
    a surface wash with high temp mortar would be a good idea on the finished interior.
    Thanks, Wiley. I'll do a good wash of the interior, and keep an eye on the quality of my floor.

Originally posted by Wiley View Post
    What's with the razor wire and electrified fence on top the wall?
    Unfortunately, crime is pretty common in paradise. We have two empty lots next to our house, with the adjacent apartment complex between the two lots (south side and west side). We've had our property broken into six times in the years we've lived here, and the razor wire and electrified fence are ours, to slow the thieves down.
    my work in progress:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=1031

Comment

Originally posted by carloswlkr View Post

Unfortunately, crime is pretty common in paradise. the razor wire and electrified fence are ours, to slow the thieves down.
      Thank God. I thought it was to keep the monkeys out

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Do what you can to eliminate dust from cutting (wet saw) and clean up well.
        Here is a web link to with info from the National Cancer Instiute that answers a lot of question regarding asbestos exposure;

Asbestos Exposure: Questions and Answers - National Cancer Institute

"Everyone is exposed to asbestos at some time during their life. Low levels of asbestos are present in the air, water, and soil. However, most people do not become ill from their exposure. People who become ill from asbestos are usually those who are exposed to it on a regular basis, most often in a job where they work directly with the material or through substantial environmental contact." NCIHope this helps. Cheers,

Comment

Thanks for the links, JRParks. I've been reading up as much as possible. Both reassuring and worrying at the same time. I guess what's past is past, and now the trick is minimizing the rist going forward. I bought the best respirator I could find yesterday, and a much needed shop vac. will attach it to my miter saw when I'm cutting. Unfortunately, I haven't found a source for renting wet saws.
          my work in progress:

Comment

I finished another two courses on Saturday, and was going to do more yesterday, but it was raining, and my three-month old son was crying for attention. he's been an amazing baby, but yesterday was not a good day for him.

anyway, i've now finished the tie in with the opening arch. I'm not very satisfied with how it turned out, but will adjust on subsequent courses. I love the various gauges and tools that several of you have devised to make the perfect dome. But I'm just using a piece of string nailed to the center and some rustic give and take as I go. I thought it was going to turn out well, but as the tie-in gradually went up, I noticed that I was getting a little bit of the dreaded tear shape. I was finishing my last course on Saturday, with the center key-stone, and it cracked on me. :-( If I hadn't been pressed for time to clean up and go out with the family, i would have cut a new brick and done it over. But as it is, I think it'll be OK. I'll try to diminish the tear shape over the next couple of courses with some of the slivers of brick that I have laying around.

Anyway, all for now. I'm hoping to have this finished in time for my annual Oscar's party, but if I keep getting rain delays, it may not happen. Oh well...
            my work in progress:

Comment

Carlos,

It's looking pretty good. Your tie in is not at all bad. Everyone of us has hit a snag at that point. And you are correct, no one will see it.

Les...

Comment

Thanks, Les. I appreciate the encouragement!
                my work in progress:

Comment

Three month old babies are easy to work around. Work fast, be productive. Sleep schedules will quickly change and then you're suddenly strapped for work time.

San Jose is a cool town. I spent a few days there in my last life. Then I got my ass kicked and broke my board on a huge rogue wave the size of a two story house down on Jaco beach. That was the beginning of the end of my 10 year career in surfing. No mas!
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Costa Rica is not a bad place to live, indeed. And there are certainly worse places to raise kids! My daughter spent the night at her great-aunt's house, so I was able to get some more work done last night when I got home.

I've run out of the easier bricks to cut, so last night went to work on the ones that throw sparks. I tried using a small amount of water (with a spray bottle), and lo-and-behold, the saw cut through the bricks like butter! I made quick work of another dozen bricks for last night's course.

No pictures today, but if I can work on the project tonight, I'll snap a few.
                    my work in progress:

Comment

I finished another course tonight, and corrected the slight tear shape I had going. It feels like I'll have to start using supports soon.

I'm still amazed at how well my miter saw cuts with water. I only hope it doesn't kick the bucket before the build is through! I did buy a GFI extension cord, and a good respirator, so I'm taking some precautions.

Here are a few pictures of today's progress.
                      my work in progress:

Comment

Nice pics! Almost done!
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

If my dome holds true to the drystack layout I did almost a month ago, I've only got three more courses plus the center keystone to go. I'm amazed that I still haven't had to use any support. I assume this has to do with the tapered bricks... since there's less mortar, there's probably more friction holding everything in place?

I must admit, I'm getting tired... these last few courses have taken me as long or longer each one than the first ones. The bricks are harder to cut (probably a combination of me getting down to the lighter colored bricks -- see earlier posts -- and that the blades I'm using might be wearing down.) I'm also cutting the corners so the bricks fit together better in the circle. Makes for slow work.

Anyway, hope to finish the dome tomorrow or Monday, then I can start working on the landing.

All for today... c.
                          my work in progress:

Comment

Very cool Carlos - you got this puppy just about wrapped. Nice work!

Les...

Comment

No rest for the weary. Hang in there. The saw blade is fine. Take your time.
                              GJBingham

-

Comment

Nice!

(I am sooooo jealous...)
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                                [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X