The Morgan's WFO build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Morgan's WFO build

Looking Great,,, Nice work,, I miss building my oven, but cooking has been some constant fun

Comment

Thanks for the kind words thisoldgarage. I can understand, it always seems like there is a little post-partum depression after a long project. I think for us (and it sounds the same for you), that learning how to bake will be a long, enjoyable project in itself.

We did it to ourselves again...we ran out of mortar. Oh well, all we can do now is wait. I hope we'll receive a delivery tomorrow so we can close the dome!

Last weekend we added more courses to the dome. It's to the point now that we'll need to devise a support system for the remainding rows.

Here's a few pics..

HEY! Where's my beer? !!

As you can see, we're trying to do "large things" in a small place...

Olivia is already in love with the oven. She keeps asking "When can we have pizza?" Look how large she makes our little 36" oven look...

The build process is great fun, but we are also looking forward to using this oven. Next spring we'll work on other parts of the patio and install irrigation and do some plantings. We really hoped to be a little farther along by now, but we both have busy jobs and families...(not so much to complain about for sure!) But, it really does pay on this sort of thing to go slow enough to have a plan for each phase. Without this forum and it's members, we'd be lost!

Regards,

The Morgan's

Comment

Beautiful Daughter,,, I think even though I am enjoying the cooking I will start the adjoining fire pit soon.... Nothing like cement on your hands,,, I just have to make sure I dont cement the whole back yard !!!!!

Hope your cement comes in

Mark

Comment

Hey there Morgans! Looking good. It's nice when the whole family is involved, even if it's just getting inside for the great pics .
          You did a great job going across the arch. No dip at all that I can see. You guys will be making pizza in no time. Keep up the good work. -Dino
          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

It almost did droop there Dino. I tried to correct the tendancy, and it did get a little wierd, but it kept pretty straight. Definately not as nice and neat as others I've seen here, but I'm satisfied that it is strong.

We managed to get the dome closed on Saturday. Here's an exterior shot...

You can see from some of the jagged-ness that we had some issues, but it all seems OK. Here's an interior shot...

It was a little difficult packing mortar into all the little voids inside. 'Wouldn't want to do that again anytime soon.

Sunday we built the chimney arch and flue passage-way...

Here's a shot of the flue passage-way...

We have to hand it to many, many of the builders on this forum. This is not an easy, casual build. Our hats are off to you guys!

So, next will be adding a chimney and putting some RefMix on the dome's exterior. Then we'll turn toward insulation and curing fires!

Ciao e presto,

The Morgans
            Last edited by vintagemx0; 09-13-2009, 08:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I'm so jealous. My shovel only just hit the dirt for this project today.

By the way, I am very inspired by your seemingly obvious and simple overhanging counter. I would like to do something similar such that the upper-most pour of the hearth (the one containing the oven floor) hangs past the insulating and structural layers below.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
              Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

We have to hand it to many, many of the builders on this forum. This is not an easy, casual build. Our hats are off to you guys!
                Good Morning Morgan's

You guys did a great Job...... Your dome looks exceptional, I'm sure you have met or exceeded many of our standards and yours....

Good Luck and keep going, I like to think of closing the dome as a milestone in the build, You are very CLOSE now,,,,

Mark

Comment

great work! I love the design so far...
                  -------------------------------------------
                  My 2nd Build:
                  Is here

Comment

Thanks guys! It's been fun so far, but we are having to learn as we go.

Mark- Have you experimented with polishing concrete yet? Would love to hear your views, opinions, tips...

The Morgans

Comment

Hi Morgans,
                      No, sorry havent have the time yet between work and life etc,,, Will make sure I get to the first round of it this weekend,, I will start a thread and post some pics..

Mark

Comment

We need to start experimenting with that too Mark. What kind of tools - and where did you source them? Our lower bench, which we want to polish, is edged with angle iron along the front and the sides. I think we'll have to grind the top leading-edges of these down too.

We're approaching the dome insulation phase. I thought about just putting grimace-proportions of portland/perlite over the whole thing - say 5-6 inches. I see a lot of people put ceramic wool blanket down first, then encase it in vermiculite/portland.

Will we be dissapointed if we don't use the blanket? Could we get good results if we cover the dome 5-6 inches in perlite/portland? We're going to add blocks to the sides and build up making a more rectangular structure. I thought we could loose-fill the reamining cavity with vermiculite before putting a roof over the structure. Would this amount/type of insulation be adequate?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

The Morgans

Comment

Hey Morgans,
                          Harbor Freight has a Dry polishing kit for a 4" grinder, $ 12.99 Item # 65287 I also bought a 4"grinder for 12.99........ I had a 20% off coupon for each item as well. Sometimes they will let you use your 20% off coupon twice, You just have to pay twice.. but its worth it.. I dont think the HF kit is really going to work that well, But before I spent 125.00 For one of the better sets off ebay i wanted a little cheaper practice route, (on the back area of the oven) I can always put a plant in front of the 3 inch lip i want to practice on,

I Used the thermal blanket I dont know, but my thought would be if you did add massive vermic mixture "would you be adding thermal mass that way" I beleive other memebers have said you can use rock wool insulation as long as you take the paper off the back.. But you better read more on that,, and IF you use the thermal blanket, try to get the water soluble one, Way better for your health

Enjoy
                          Mark

Comment

I beleive other memebers have said you can use rock wool insulation as long as you take the paper off the back..
                            Domestic fiberglass insulation (the stuff with the paper on the back) has an organic binder that burns and stinks at WFO temps. I'd stay away from it except outside your insulation envelope, and who needs it there? There is a heat resistant insulation used for firestopping, but I think it's more expensive than the refractory stuff.
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Yeah, better to do it right the first time. I ordered FB blanket today. I've worked with that green rockwool material before on a fireplace project. It smells just aweful when it gets a little hot - sort of like urine. I have also worked with ceramic wool blankets such as Kaowool and Cerawool, and they are definately superior. Despite the expense, I think we'll be happy just knowing it was done right.

I want to weld some angle iron structure around my chimney to insure against any stress-related issues and wrap a couple of small cables around the soldier course to ensure their integrity. If it sounds like we're not confident in our masonry skills, it's because we're not. The metal and cables are cheap insurance and will never be seen. We've never done masonry work before and don't want to have to repair any of the major structural stuff down the road...

We're still trying to decide upon the final look of the ficade. We're leaning toward a rectangular, stuccoed finish with a small decorative brick arch entry, but this will make the over-all structure look very massive. We're not too fond of the igloo or "chapel" look for our particular setting either. Still considering...

The Morgans

Comment

Originally posted by vintagemx0 View Post
                                It's been fun so far, but we are having to learn as we go.
                                I guess the only way to explain how great your project looks is beginners LUCK! Thanks for your abundance of pics along the way. Your build is inspirational.
                                I didn't see any sign of forms in the dome. Did you do without?

Darius

Comment

Working...
                                X