Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven in North Yorkshire UK

Hi mpjfitz

Thanks for the comments. The 6'' pipe draws smoke fine when the oven gets up to temp. I tend to build a big pile of wood inside the oven (nearly full) so I get quite a bit of smoke produced at the start before the chimney has warmed up. If I was less lazy and started with a small fire I think it would be OK. The front of the oven gets a bit black with soot (I noticed that Jamie Olivers did this on his TV show). When the oven is hot there is hardly any smoke anyway as the fire is burning so efficiently the chimney works better the hotter it gets.
    The mortar was a ready mixed refractory cement that I purchased from Handsworth Refractories in Sheffield UK: Handsworth Refractories - Services

Not listed on the site, phone them and ask for it.

Its not cheap, about ?40 a tub (i think) and I ended up using 4 tubs but ist damn good stuff (i filled the gaps at the back of the angled blocks with it so used loads). They use it to glue fire bricks together in huge steel works crucibles, I asked if it would contract or crack on me and they said they used it to keep 1000 tonnes of molten steel in one place so NO there shouldn't be a problem. I have to say that nearly a year on its still going strong, small bits have cracked but its very simple to just push a bit more into the gap and then let it dry to cure.

I'm also posting some new images of my oven with the extended roof section now infront of the chimney (this needs pointing), it is working to keep the rain away from the oven enbtrance.

All the best

Comment

Hello

I'm hoping my oven will look like it's been there for a long time. I'm using reclaimed bricks etc so it should appear aged. Looooong time away from completion as I've only just got the foundations/slab in.

You've go me worried! I got a tall chimney pot (about 1 metre). It's a big heavy thing and I was gonna use that. But if that 'exploded' it would take the street out

I think I'm gonna try and test it. Maybe prop it up on some bricks and set some fires under it.

Mick

Comment

mpjfitz

I had a problem in finding a decent chimnet pot for my Pompeii brick-oven build, so out of frustration and impatience I disced the bottom off my wife's best terracotta flower pot, turned it upside down and used that.

The dome of my oven inherited a few cracks through wild firings, but the flower pot has'nt enen a blemish on it.

All the best with your build

Terry (C.F)
        Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

Thanks for the feedback mate ... it's re-assuring

Mick

Comment

wat cement did u use on the oven is it possable to use storage heater bricks to build the dome would they be strong enough to take the heat also could you use 3by2 paveing slabs for the fire to sit on thanks blackbill
            Last edited by blackbill; 03-16-2010, 05:28 PM.

Comment

hi threedi is it possable to use portland cement and yellow sand to build the

Comment

Hi
                I used a refractory cement that was ready mixed and 'air' cured to glue the fire brick dome and inner arch together. I sourced it locally from Hansworth Refractories here in the UK. The exterior of the oven was constructed from standard 5:1 sand and portland cement mix.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X