Forno Montagna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forno Montagna

This is the start to my oven build thread.
    Last edited by schallert; 06-20-2009, 08:06 AM.

Re: Forno Montagna

In the beginning... We have a large hill in our back yard and have been developing the gardens for years. 2 years ago we built a retaining wall to create a level area to relax, have camp fires, etc...

Comment

Last year (2008) I discovered this site and had the idea about adding an oven as the focal point of this space. After roughing in the foundation and back retaining wall we hit a large vein of sandstone! That halted the project and wore out some shovels and backs.

This spring, we rented a jack hammer and the project took off! 5 weeks later we have completed the foundation slab, block foundation, framed and poured the hearth, built the back retaining wall and now working on the pergola. Perhaps it is premature to built that next before the dome, but I wanted to use it as a support for a tarp to cover the work site as I build the dome.

Comment

The hearth frame and pour went very well. My wife, two sons and father made it a great day. It is now a family obsession.

Comment

A friend has declared it "forno montagna" fire mountain. Great name.

Comment

We dug a few holes for the pergola posts and placed a few extra pieces in to evaluate the scale. We like it! My wife added rocks and mulch around the back side, nice touch. Will try to build the pergola this weekend, then a summer vacation and on to the dome!

Comment

site plans for forno montanga

Comment

What an excellent yard you have! You have made a great start, thanks for the pictures!
                Drake
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thanks Drake!

Comment

The Forno Montagna project looks fantastic. I look forward to to following you progress.
                    Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by jrparks View Post
                      The Forno Montagna project looks fantastic. I look forward to to following you progress.
                      Cheers,
                      John
                      +1... ...Absolutely fantastic!

To the OP:
                      I have a similarly sloping back yard which is in planning stages of terracing one section and I can't decide what material to use as retaining wall. I was thinking either railroad ties or cement landscaping blocks.
                      What type of timber did you use? The finish is very clean.

Thank you!
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thank you!
                        6x6 green-treated landscape timbers, inexpensive and very easy to work with.

Comment

Forno Friends, I am preparing for the dome phase. Can anyone help with info on how to determine quantity of bricks I need? I plan on a 36 inch interior. Also, how many insulation boards? I think I need 4 sheets at 24x36?

Comment

You could do worse than using the pompeii kit specs as your guideline: (PDF)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta..._datasheet.pdf
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Dan,
                              1st of all, GREAT LOOKING OVEN BASE! The setting is nice and you've built the base with lots of steel and cement. It's going to be strong. I like you pic of the pergola and oven. It'll look great.

Hopefully I'm not too late re: your question about 24x36 insulation board. I've built a 42" WFO and I purchased 3 of boards and I had to be really clever to make every bit work and have a few 2" useless pieces left over. Your oven is a little smaller so I would think you still need 3 (not 4). If you already bought 4, then the extra would be great to use inside an oven door.

Looking foreword to watching the rest your build. Let us know if you have any questions. You and your family look like your having fun and the best parts are just starting!

Happy oven building, Dino
                              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Working...
                              X