Michigan Money Pit Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Money Pit Oven Build

Great progress! Nice and round. Real precision work!
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Beautiful work, worth every cent.
      Stephen
      San Luis Obispo

"Pizza is suffused with the good feelings everyone has because they're together," Chris Bianco of Pizzeria Bianco.

My Picasa Album

Comment

Nitro,

I'll echo everyone else: Really nice work!

The farther along you get, the more you'll realize how appropriate your name, "Michigan Money Pit" is!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Last few bricks to finish the dome then onto the front arch.
          Front arch complete along with 8" anchor plate from metal-fab to exhaust the smoke.

Comment

The oven is complete then adding a insulation/morter layer.
            After letting the oven cure for over a week was the first fire with news paper.
            After the oven was complete it was hard to wait for over a week to start a fire.
            While the week of curing fires I stated the oven house build.

Comment

Hey Moneypit,

Would you considering taking out those wooden studs and using metal studs. That makes me a litte nervous having combustible building materials so close the oven opening and vent.

What do folks think?
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I got this from Cochise County (AZ) Planning and Zoning:

Framing
                Wood framing must be adequately separated from fireplace
                and chimney masonry, Figures 47a and 47b. All
                headers, beams, joists and studs must be kept at least two
                inches from the outside face of chimney and fireplace
                masonry
                . Prefabricated metal fireplace and chimney assemblies
                are to be installed in accordance with the
                manufacturer?s recommendations and must be approved
                by the code authority.

So, to be safe, I would recommend replacing the front studs with metal. Everything else should be OK and to code.
                Ed

Comment

The stud work is beautiful, but I'm worried too. I had a big scary fire exit out the front as well as chimney, once. Probalby should call it a stupidly big scary fire..... But I'm very sure I heated up my entire opening to temps I never thought it would see. Metal studs aren't that expensive, but it can be hard to find where to buy them.

I ended up going to a sheetrock/gypsum board supply house - they had a whole yard full of different lengths and guage (thickness of metal) studs and u channells. It was not too pricey and they helped me pick out a medium grade material.

I cut the studs to length with a metal blade in my skillsaw as I did not have a metal chop saw worked much easier than cutting each one with tin ships. Word of advice cut two at one time and nest them together.

Christo
                  My oven progress -
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                  sigpic

Comment

It was a concern but with the dbl insulated wall vent, 1" air gap is all that is needed. So far I have had the oven inside temp 800+ and at the anchor plate, outside wall does not get above 90 deg all the way up the vent. Inside temp on the vent has been 400+. Aso to be extra safe, I am going to put some high temp insulation btw the 2X4 and vent at the arch.

Comment

In the photos it looks as if you actually have the framing resting on the bricks to your flue as well as up against the sides of your entry arch. I don't see where surrounding all of it with insulation will help.....whatever temp those bricks reach, the wood framing will as well.....direct contact is direct contact. I'm not saying things will burst into flames, but I would be concerned. My entry bricks reach 400-500 degrees every fire, with the inside of the flue easily topping that. Any extended firing will certainly heat up the wood to to its flashpoint in the mid 400s. Then there is the insulation......which will hold those temps in and around the wood. I take back what I previously said...at some point, it will burst into flames.
                      We are all just concerned...not trying to be overly critical.

RT

Comment

Thanks for the input. None of the wood framing comes in contact with the oven. There is at least 2" to 3" air gap btw same. The pics I posted was during the building of the wall and the pcs of wood that are close to the vent was just temporary until everything was locked together. At this time those pcs wood have been cut out.

On the vent I took two 15 dig. bends to move it inwordto give more air gap.

Comment

Pic's of the roof build. I went with a 4/12 pitch out of 2x4 with 1/2" plywood sheeting.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful.
                            James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Roof Build: Copper Drip Edge with water & ice shield covering all of the roof. Waterproofed the chimney box to the water & ice. Went with black 10x12 slate.

Comment

Cooking some pie's in the oven along with my first rye bread. It turned out so good. Such a different good tast.

Comment

Working...
                                X