my oven build - NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: my oven build - NJ

thanks for the advice, I have debated this in my own mind, the thought of doing the pavers under the hearth after its in concerns me. I do need to at least run the compactor in there before the hearth is in. I need to give it some more thought

Comment

do you really need to put pavers all the way under the hearth ?

Comment

Originally posted by tifosi View Post
        thanks for the advice, I have debated this in my own mind, the thought of doing the pavers under the hearth after its in concerns me. I do need to at least run the compactor in there before the hearth is in. I need to give it some more thought
        You do not want to build this on top of pavers?? I have two 144 sq. ft. gazebo's that I put pavers in. Both of them had a concrete pad underneath. I could only screed about 3/8 inch of sand but it came out OK. I didn't use the the vibrator plate but used the hand held tamper. If you are setting the pavers under the hearth - I wouldn't think you need to do anything other then set them in the sand.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

i did a normal foundation so there is no slab on the ground. I just backfilled the dirt so I have to compact or over time it will settle a low spot and I will end up with water accumulating in there. I want to put pavers for a full finished look but certainly hear your advice about keeping them clean.

On another note, my oven floor will be about 43 inches off the ground as currently specd, I think this is consistent with most others but I am wondering if I should go a few inches higher to reduce bending down to look in. I am about 6 feet so not real tall but think it might be better to be on the high side then vice versa

Comment

I vote for higher, the higher the better. I don't want to bend over either.
            Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

As to height, setup a mock up and see what height is comfortable to you. You probably also need to consider aesthetics. If the base is very high it may look funny, plus the chimney etc will be that much higher...

Drake
              My Oven Thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I just went out and measured my oven, The floor is at 46 inches. Im 5 foot 6, I find this height very comfortable.... I really didnt plan it that way it just kinda worked out for me,,,

Comment

thanks, yeah I don't want to ruin the overall look but I think I might just add another level of block to raise it up a little

Comment

A mock up is a great suggestion! I'm 6'2" and i wish i had gone one block higher! If you have the time and patience...build a mock up and find your own comfort level.
                    Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

been real lazy in posting pics, I got the form done before the snow, will resume in the spring

Comment

Hi Tifosi...
                        Looks like your off to a good start..
                        Spring is here sooner than you think.. and you have the winter to source and buy your supplies..
                        Cheers
                        Mark

Comment

Your build is looking good. I look forward to seeing it finished.

I have to be honest, I am not too thrilled to see your bocce court. I have been kicking around the idea of putting in a bocce court, even have a great space to put it. But I had it in my head that it would be a simple thing to install. I mean seriously, you are just rolling heavy balls on dirt, right? Now that I see yours I realize it is going to be a much bigger project than I initially thought. I guess I will have to put it off another year, because as soon as the ground warms enough to dig, I am putting in my oven first. Not sure if I can handle two big projects at the same time.

It all looks great, you are doing a fantastic job.
                          http://cookinginmyyard.com

Comment

yes, spring is right around the corner, unfortunately I have a few indoor projects to complete too

Jaronimo, don't be put off, I truly overbuilt my court, the great thing about building a court is it can be as simple as you want it.

Tom

Comment

You are probably right. I am sure I will get to the bocce court eventually.
                              http://cookinginmyyard.com

Comment

"spring" started a little late for me, yesterday I finally got the slab poured with some help from my brother in law. We used 1 yard of concrete which I had delivered vs bagging it. I went with a 5000 psi commercial mix. Could not have asked for a better day for pouring concrete, 70 degrees and overcast

Comment

Working...
                                X