getting started!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: getting started!

washed down 2 sides of trhe brick so that we can complete the steps for the deck tomorrow.

poured the concrete cap on top and started the next part which wil be a firepit/grill.

should have some pics in the next few days

Comment

Looking good !!!!

Comment

OK,did most of the curing. the dome sat there for at least 2 weeks prior to the first small burn. the dome is very black inside and i noticed this morning that there looks to be white aroud the edges of the fire brick in the back of the oven. i am concerned that these may be hairline cracks. is this typical? should i worry?

i have run through the schedule curing and tonight would be up to cooking temp.

should i cancel that and let this thing sit? i am hoping i didn't screw up.

opinions would be greatly appreciated.

tony

Comment

I think you're seeing the start of the burning off of the carbon, which doesn't happen uniformly. As you get hotter all the carbon will burn off. It's hard to tell without a picture.

If it were me, I'd proceed. Cracks are pretty obvious, pretty common, and mostly nothing to be alarmed about.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

thanks,

i'll go ahead and cook some pizza tonight.

i tried to take a fw pics but i couldn't get a good one of what i needed you guys to see. to much or to little flash and i'm no photographer. i'll check it tomorrow morning again and see what it looks like.

thanks again.

p.s: deck steps are on and everything is coming together. i will try to get some pix up later today.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
              I can't wait to see the deck with it. This is a really cool project.

We often have people post questions about putting pizza ovens on decks. The answer is always "no", they are too heavy - we recommend a tall block stand next to the deck. As far as I know, you are the first to actually do this.

Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming!!
              Tony's oven looks great, hread and shoulders ahead of me. I also built my iven to deck height (New Oven in Connecticut) thread.

JQ

Comment

had to take a little break on the project. made our first pizza's last weekend and had alot of fun with the oven. i am amazed at how hot this thing gets. it was still reading over 100 degrees 2 days later.

this saturday we are going to do a few more pizza's with a few friend and try a some bread.

i hope to have some good pics of the oven with the deck finished and the firepit/grill very soon.

if anyone wants to see the work in progress look me up on facebook. i have an album with pics from the first day we dig the footers until last saturday's pizza's

l8r,

tony

Comment

Great looking oven, Tony!

I'm in the middle of demolishing a huge hillside deck and rebuilding. I must also build up quite a bit to reach deck level.
                  Anxiously waiting to see your finished decking as well.
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

well, had hoped to have everything finished up today but it is pouring. had to put things on hold.

we did fire up the oven last night for a few pies. i have done so 4-5 times thus far (after the curing period of course). i am noticing several cracks in the oven dome and on the exterior brick work. once the oven cools the brick settles down and the crack is hard to recognize. i thought we did a pretty good job insulating everything as well as possible. I'm not realy sure if i should be concerned or not? i am afraid of what the winter will do.

any input?

Comment

I'm not realy sure if i should be concerned or not?
                      Hey tony,,,
                      Unless they are monterous cracks,, I wouldnt let them concern you, The weight and construction method of the dome will basically hold itself together, The other cracks sound like they are minimal and often to be expected.. If you are concerned about the winter you can throw a tarp over it when not being used.. Can you take pics of the cracks and post them.. It may be possible your oven is still curing too..
                      Mark

Comment

nothong monsterous. just hairline cracks that i noticed. I guess i am just alittle upset that there are cracks. especially the outside veneer. i will try to get some pics and post them up. it has been raining all day and now to dark to get in there. i am just hoping that the insulated concrete didn't crack as well.

either way, the pizza is great!

Comment

Tony,,
                          Its kinda like buying a new car,, you know that first scratch is coming,,,,,

Like you said, pizza still tastes great and oven will work just fine,,

Dont worry it wont be visible after a few cocktails.

Mark

Comment

i here ya. i am a bit of a worry wart. i just want this to be something that we have for a long time.

Comment

here are some pics of the close to final product. finally installed the hearth stone but need to get a final pic. i also bricked 2 piers under the deck. i will get some pics a bit further away to see the entire project.

Comment

few more pics of some pizza and my dad and me haveing a good time cooking.

Comment

Working...
                                X