X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trockyh
    replied
    Re: 36" in Seattle

Your oven is a work of art. I don't want to post anymore of my pictures.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Continuation of previous post.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Finished the vent (photos continued in next post). If you look at my CAD design from an earlier (recent) post, you can see that the side-walls of my vent do not conform to the design in that they aren't flush. I'm not sure how that happened. Grrr! Anyway, it doesn't matter too much.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

So, vintagemx0, I think you're suggesting a concrete tubular sleeve into which the steel pipe sits, much like the mast of a sailboat. The structural support offered by the concrete sleeve (against lateral forces attempting to displace the steel pipe, aka wind) would depend on the thickness and overall strength of the concrete sleeve and on the height of the sleeve...which doesn't necessarily have to extend the entire height of the steel pipe of course.

That's in interesting idea. I could use the pipe itself as the form. Wrap it with several heavy layers of plastic to form a gap (and prevent the concrete from bonding to the steel, although that seems unlikely anyway), build the sleeve, remove the pipe and plastic and reinsert the pipe, leaving an air gap. Perhaps if I enmesh the concrete tube with chicken wire it would be less susceptible to collapse. I'm unsure how thick I can make it relative to the foot print I have permitted on the upper face of my vent, if you see my meaning.

I'll think about it.

Leave a comment:

• vintagemx0
    replied

I encased my chimney in perlcrete, and it dawned on me that I probably didn't need a proper anchor plate. I think if you could effect a decent seal at the union of the chiminey and masonry and provide a means of fastening it just good enough so it doesn't dislodge easily, you could encase the chimney as I did and it won't be going anywhere.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Thanks. My current design would use an 8" double-walled pipe sitting atop the vent. I don't have any sort of anchor plate yet, so I'm completely unsure how to actually attach the pipe to the vent. In my mind, it's just sitting precariously on top of the vent right now, clearly a design that cannot proceed to construction without further refinement. I am really turned off by the price of anchor plates.

The other idea I always considered was to use clay flue pipe (with some sort of veneer brick on the outside and a thermal expansion air gap between the two layers), but I never found any clay pipe I liked and I already bought this steel pipe.

Or I could build the chimney out of firebricks...insulated of course...and I'm unsure how high I could build a brick chimney without creating a dangerous risk of collapse. It's just mortar after all so I don't know if it would stay together confidently.

Ugh. I'm not sure yet.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Hi kebwi

Only just came across your build and have just read through your posts. Looking great!!. Keep up the good work and looking forward to the chimney design!!

regards

Leave a comment:

• trockyh
    replied

Your arch and vent look really nice.
    My saw is making the same noise and I'm just on my eight ring. Hope it makes it, but I do have the one year warranty, I just don't want to take it the hour drive to get a new one. At least not until I'm done.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Yes, although it is showing its "age". It has acquired a notably loud rattle (not horrific) and associated vibration. I am virtually certain it is coming from inside the factory-enclosed blade-axle casing. I assume the bearings are wearing out.

Only a few cuts to go. Come on baby!

...course, I still have my one-year replacement plan. Ideally, it would break right after I'm done with this project.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Hey Keb,,
    Was wondering where you were..... Your cutting your bricks on a Harbor Freight saw arent you ?? Doing a great job, very neat....

Nice Work
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Rebuilt the broken entry arch. Cut the bricks for the vent. Started mortaring the vent bricks in.

Leave a comment:

• schallert
    replied

Great looking dome!

Leave a comment:

• bbell
    replied

Keb, great job!

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Keb,,

Congrats on closing the dome,, as always a nice job

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Zing! I've been following your thread but I hadn't memorized whose it was, so your ID didn't trigger a recognition. Your oven is very original.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X