36" Tall Man's Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36" Tall Man's Oven Build

Made some progress. I built the framing for the roof canopy and got some of the chimney transition on top the entry arch on. My plan is to have the chimney on by the end of the weekend and have my curing fires going.

Comment

Additional pics-

Comment

looking good,,,,

Comment

Thanks Mark!
          I mortared the rest of the chimney transition in place then cut the 16X16" square out of the roof frame for the chimney opening. Whilst I was framing the hole in a piece of wood dropped out of my grasp and destroyed half of my brick transition which was still wet. AARGH! After briefly being overcome with rage I cleaned the bricks off and re-mortared them. Hopefully tomorrow the transition will be dry enough to place my chimney, then I will light a very discreet fire...

Does anyone know if I can (after curing of course) get the oven up to pizza temp without the insulation? I may not be able to order it till next week. I'm just curious.

Darius

Comment

Whilst I was framing the hole in a piece of wood dropped out of my grasp and destroyed half of my brick transition which was still wet. AARGH! After briefly being overcome with rage I cleaned the bricks off and re-mortared them
            Darius,,, that sucks.. And I thought stuff like that only happened to me...

Keep Smiling
            and enoy your build
            Mark

Comment

Believe me Mark you're not the only one this crap happens to.

I lit a small fire yesterday afternoon in the oven. After about 15 minutes I noticed a large crack start in the front of the chimney transition and spread down through the entry arch. I kept the fire going and the crack seemed to open a little more. I only had time to keep the fire going for about a half hour. Today the crack closed a little but its still very noticeable. The bricks still feel very solid though. I'm not too concerned with the crack because I've seen dozens of them from other's postings. I guess I'll try to use some high temp sealer on it. My little fire wasn't hot enough to effect the outside temp of the oven. Hopefully I'll get my hands on the insulating blanket within a couple weeks and start closing the oven in.

I'll post my progress at some point, perhaps my first pizza point!

Darius

Comment

that crack still has some time to go away... a few fires.. some settling... fill it with soupy mortar or fireclay if it stays big... i would wait till after the curing fires and see how it looks.... maybe the brick oven gods will smile and it will go away...

Cheers
                Mark

Comment

Hi Darius,
                  That's interesting. I'm at the same stage of building and had the exact same problem in the same place! :-) I've decided to ignore it for now. Too cold for me to re-mortar it until spring anyway. I think the cause was an arch joint that lines up with one on the chimney transition. .... Well, that and a bit of a big fire too close to the opening :-)

Pdiff

Comment

Pdiff, the crack doesn't go straight from the transition through the arch, it goes down to the top of the arch then jumps 2 brick joints to the right before heading down. I don't understand why it took the path it did. I took a couple pics of it but my phone died before I could get them downloaded.

Comment

Frozen pizza anyone?

Comment

Sorry to hear about the crack

Hopefully it works out!
                        John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Thanks John! The crack hasn't gotten any bigger and I've fired the oven over 20 times. When it the weahter warms up I'll just patch it and continue construction.

Comment

Working...
                          X