X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: building home made firedome for trailer oven

Originally posted by kirshner View Post
    ok,
    could i make mix insulating dome 1 to 5 of cement to perlite then another final stronger mix on top of that to finish it of,hold it down? leaving out the insulation blanket.
    or what is your insulating dome mix recipe...
    Joining the dome to the floor is not a good idea for a stationary oven as the dome and the floor expand and contract at different rates and joining the two will lead to major dome cracks. It is highly recommended to let the dome float on the floor or around the floor for those who have built the floor inside the dome.

I used 11/1 perlite cement mix as a buttress to my flue arch; nice and solid and I have kept a piece as an example for people who what to see what the oven is made out of and it has held up well despite being dropped and rained on a few times.

I held it on to the dome with corregated cardboard that was supported from the outside with stacked up concrete blocks at the thickness I wanted it; in my case the cardboard was 5 inches from the oven for a 5 inch insulation layer; worked out fine

5/1 is less insinuative than I think you want it for over the dome.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 10-18-2012, 06:49 PM.
    Chip

Comment

Hi Ironpony,

I'm glad that you changed your mind and came back. Some of the people here, really knows what they are talking about.

Comment

sounds good mr chips
        you mentioned something about some floors being built inside the dome,does this mean you could place the dome onto the perlite cement insulation base then put the floor into the dome so that floor material rests up along the inner sides of the dome, you could then go over the outside of dome with final mixes down the sides and onto perlite base.
        but i suppose this could restrict domes natural heat movement.
        i,m just thinking that it still needs to be attached somehow because of trailer movement

Comment

sounds good mr chips
          you mentioned something about some floors being built inside the dome,does this mean you could place the dome onto the perlite cement insulation base then put the floor into the dome so that floor material rests up along the inner sides of the dome, you could then go over the outside of dome with final mixes down the sides and onto perlite base.
          but i suppose this could restrict domes natural heat movement.
          i,m just thinking that it still needs to be attached somehow because of trailer movement
          When building the floor inside the dome and the dome resting directly on the insulation layer the bricks are cut about 3/8 of and inch smaller than the diameter of the dome the gap is filled with corrugated cardboard that will burn out and the gap will fill with ash from future fires.

I have seen trailer ovens with Metal straps that go over the top but I am not sure how they work.

Chip
          Last edited by mrchipster; 10-20-2012, 07:02 AM. Reason: typo
          Chip

Comment

awesome!
            I'll do that thanks chip,and for the picture as well I;ll be starting oven again next week when the materials show up from out of town,then will post,I,m a sculptor so will form a dragon on top,which will be fun and might attract people,
            you could even though securing straps over at the end of day and secure before removal.
            cheers!

Comment

awesome!
              I'll do that thanks chip,and for the picture as well I;ll be starting oven again next week when the materials show up from out of town,then will post,I,m a sculptor so will form a dragon on top,which will be fun and might attract people,
              you could even though securing straps over at the end of day and secure before removal.
              cheers!
              One other thing, I put my floor down first wrapped the entire outside with corrugated, taping pieces together to make a strap all the way around, 2 layers of corrugated. then I laid a thick 1/16 inch piece of plastic over the floor in the exact shape of the floor, and taped all of the corrugated on the edge to the plastic covering, that way the floor stayed clean during the build and no mortar got into the crack between the floor and the dome.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

cool thanks chip
                I really appreciate everyones help,
                thanks for everything guys
                k

Comment

awesome!
                  cheers!
                  the dragon flue sounds great. you will definitely need to post photos of that.

fire breathing beast. with the dome as the body and flue as the head and mouth?

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

Working...
                  X