waterproofing under the base ,?? on my idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: waterproofing under the base ,?? on my idea

keep looking for it a it wasn`t coming up sooo . posted it again maybe cause I`m tired got to get some sleep ..

A note to rich glass will stick to render if you texture it 1st .. however it would be the last thing you put on and the ya got that plastic look .. rendedr will not stick to glass . you would have to use chicken wire over the fiberglass .. ..

Comment

G'day
      I'm thinking the same thing as Merlin, Rich I don't think the render would not stick to the fibre glass surface. Chicken wire and polypropylene fibres would go a long way making it a stand alone structure but I still think it would crack at any union point say at the bottom of the base.
      I was myself thinking of using acrylic render for a final flexible waterproof layer over my existing render( which was not completely round and had the "flintstone" look!!
      I ended up with a brick over finish which I was happy with the look and was I the end was a full complete dome itself so it gave me the strength to resist cracking
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

G'day Rich
        New Idea!!! In Aust most showers are completely sealed or "tanked" before the tiled surface. It's basically a brushed on product that uses fibre glass sheet in the edges and corners. You basically lay the fiberglass strip onto the wet surface and give it another coat of "tanking" over that. I've done both showers in my place.
        Good thing is that it does take to tile glue and grout which are mostly cement based.
        Definitely worth investigating.
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once

My Build
        My Door

Comment

Rich I just ordered a product thru Lowes made by Quick creat It has fiberglass in it and a silicone base .. talked direct to the company they said it would be water proof for the project Im` doing .. You can also paint a clear silicone paint over it when finished for xtra protection . It is called insta or instance wall .. goes right over the wire ,,,recommended 3/4 to 1/2 inch thick .. I will be picking it up this week if ya need more info .. Lowes can order both products you will have to look them up in there book as they have no idea it even exists.. Free shipping to store ..
          Dave going on the upper layer where all the bricks are cut 3,4 or 5 times for angles the have to wait for the set at least 10 min .. Life is good the build lookig nice tried to move some photos over can`t seem to do it . I have an old computor it had XP dumped it and now run Lunix Mint won`t let me do things I`m used to .. Oh well mud should be dry on to the next brick ..

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
            G'day Merlin
            Goodonya ! I've double dipped before but 4 times
            Just go back,hit the edit button, and remove the text! And submit.
            Sounds like your making good progress, and yes I agree about the humidity its a s@it. Love the comment about the plastic dinosaur it says it all. Included the bit about the fiber glass just in the interest of information.
            Regards dave
            ok finally got it

Comment

G'day Merlin
              Try this,open up a reply post look at the top and you'll see a paper lip icon next to the smiley face, click on it, and it will open up a window .in this window you can either browse you computer for a pic or choose to get from the net .
              You can upload up to 5. If they don't upload ( yes they take time) it will tell you and its usually they are two big so you have to go and downsize them to try again. Once you loaded you pics close that window and you find that by clicking on that paper clip icon again you'll find the pics there. You can insert them in your text
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	305643
              or download them at the end.
              Hope this helps
              Regards Dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

the photos are now in the gallery ! wow took 2 hours and 2 people to finally get them in my old machine where I could export them, but now I will be able to keep you up dated with the build.. If at first you don`t suceed drink a beer and have 1 more and maybe it will workthe next time

Comment

So now for a new qustion when I finish the dome do I have to wait a while beforeI cover it with the cermic fiber ..??
                  and do I have to fire it up slow 1st,,before covering I will not be useing the vermiclite creat .. never drys down here ..
                  2 . can I use regular red brick for the top of the chimney arch . or will I need more fire brick . I`m going to use a clay chimney ??

Comment

G'day
                    I would leave the dome a couple of weeks so all the cement will go of properly. May as well leave off the insulation and let it dry as much as possible. Plenty to do with entrance and chimney, the time will fly.
                    As for insulation before firing it up. If you going for flame definitely evens out the stresses. Personally Id prefer to use Charcoal over a longer time ( no flame impinging on the dome ceiling) then when dry insulate and go the flame!
                    As for using plain brick for the entrance chimney I've used a mix of commons and house brick no problems and no chimney liner either.
                    Chimney liner don't exist in this country to my knowledge. But from what I've read they are not designed to be used by themselves otherwise they crack. They should be insulated and then have a skin of brick around that. Hope someone chimes in with some better information than that.
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

greeting ,, good advice , I`ll wait a week and the push to finish it .., do you think I can morter the dome arch to the 1st chimney arch i would use fire brick morter ..?? or is it better to leave a space or maybe pack it with the fiber blanket ..

did ya check out the photos hows the build look to you so far .. I*n the next 2 days we will my wife and I finish the dome ..

As we only have have 10 days left to finish as much as we can were pushing at least 8 hour days picked up some brick today for arches . .. a friend works on brick homes and they throw away all the excess brick so if I want it, all I have to do is load it up .. Have some other stuff we built will email some pics of it to you .. not really forum material.. Oh yea the reason were in a hurry is were artists and we have to go the road for a several weeks to try and procure some funds ..

Comment

G'day
                        The pics haven't shown up as yet. Its actually good you going away as the whole thing can sit and just dry itself out without being temped to flash it up! Perfect!
                        Regards Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

The pics are in the photo gallery under merlyn,, and right now they are all on the start page as the new photos! wow I feel famous ..I will keep posting them in the photo gallery as I now have a easy way to do it ..

Comment

G'day
                            woops missed one. Leaving a heat break gape between the oven and entrance/chimney: is always good thing to do if you want to spend the time. Personally I don't think it matters to much. The back of my chimney is built onto the brick on the entrance to my oven. No heatbreak at all and my oven function well enough.
                            regards dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once

My Build
                            My Door

Comment

Merlyn,
                              Thanks, for getting some pics up on the forum. You have got me a little confused here on this one, though.

It looks like you are starting your dome with splits. That is OK. But, it looks like you are shooting for a 6" to 8" thick dome? (Most go with a 4" to 4.5" dome thickness) That is a lot of thermal mass to heat up. Also, that 1" layer in the middle of your oven: is that a 1" layer of Calsil? What thickness are you shooting for for the floor?

In this next pic, it looks like you are getting closer to the 4.5" thickness?

Very nice scroll, on the oven landing!.

Joe W.

PS: I will send you the vent, when you get a ready to finish your domes render. Without the vcrete outside of the cf balanket, it takes a little different type of adapter. No worries, it will be a custom fit for your oven .
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Well now being a bit on the thrifty side what i did was put down a 2 inch thick layer of vermiculite creat then a 2 inch thick layer of ceramic board , now I ordered a couple of 1 inch thick 2 by 2 foot pieces pieces of ceramic board and made a 36inch center my dome it is 36 inch s .. now to
                                for the outsides edges and I did that is 42 inch s I went ahead and cut up some 1 inch thick fire brick I had left over from the smoker oven build .. over this I put down all 2 1/4 inch thick bricks .. hence the strange looking floor .. saved $ 137 .$ by doing this yup I`m using all 2 1/4 bricks for the build . So my oven floor has 2 inch's of vermiculite creat , 3 inches of ceramic board and 2 1/4 inches of fire brick and the outside under the walls has 2 inches of vermiculite creat ,, 2 inches of ceramic board and 3 inches of fire brick .

Will finish up the top[ of the
                                dome tomorrow .. then on to the front arches . I will post more pics in a couple of days .

Time tools perseverance and a good wife will get ya thru .. May you have a great day merlyn

Comment

Working...
                                X