X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by Vines and fruit View Post
    Im wanting to build my own oven and would like to know if there is a difference in efficiency or is it just looks of an igloo style or a half barrel style? Looks like the barrel would be easier to build. Thanks
    Initial ideas about building often come to the conclusion that a half barrel would be a simpler solution. However, because of the problems of thermal expansion and heat cycling, the inherent structural instability of the half barrel highlight some problems. Whilst there are ways of dealing with these problems they introduce complexities which end up making the half barrel more difficult to build than the dome. There are plenty of half barrel ovens documented on this forum if you research them. If it is a simpler, quicker build you’re after then a cast oven, either kit or homebuilt might suit you better.

It is no mistake that the hemisphere with a front independent cross draft flue has been the preferred configuration for 200 years.
    Last edited by david s; 10-04-2018, 01:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I would suggest you buy the eplans from Forno Bravo, they talk extensively about oven types and pros/cons. The plans are only a couple bucks.

Leave a comment:

• Vines and fruit
    started a topic Newbe here

Newbe here

Im wanting to build my own oven and would like to know if there is a difference in efficiency or is it just looks of an igloo style or a half barrel style? Looks like the barrel would be easier to build. Thanks
Working...
X