X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just starting my build

Hey WD,
    I found this hysterical,,,
    The posts are 16 Ft long I only brought home 2 at a time because I have a 6 ft bed so with tailgate down and that funky extender rack I was still hanging about 6 feet over the edge.
    I have done something similar,, I had a pickup with a 5 1/2 foot bed.. I put in I think 8-16 foot 2 x 12 for a deck I was building, I laid them in over the tailgate ad put 8 bags of cement on the cab end of the truck on top of them to hold em down,, Thank God it is less than a mile to my house from Home Depot... The county cops around here often wait outside the HD exit looking for that kind of thing.. Anyway made it home safely....

Glad to see your making rapid progress...I just read this recently which may help you speed your build and avoid the curing fires...

Heat Stop - High Temperature Resistent Refractory Mortar

1. Q. How long should we wait after installation before heat may be applied to fireplace or chimney?
    A. With regard to firebrick, clay flue lining or any of the Heat Stop refractory mortar products simply wait one day after all of the masonry in the fireplace or chimney has been installed.
    Im not sure about this,, But am gonna start a thread and get some opinions...
    Cheers
    Mark
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 04-13-2010, 03:51 AM.

Comment

1. Q. How long should we wait after installation before heat may be applied to fireplace or chimney?
      A. With regard to firebrick, clay flue lining or any of the Heat Stop refractory mortar products simply wait one day after all of the masonry in the fireplace or chimney has been installed.
      I'm not sure about this
      Nor should you be. This may be true of the standard less-than-1/8 inch refractory mortar joint, but not for the kind of work we're doing. I used heat-stop and put it through the whole week (+) cure and drying fire schedule.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi David,

I did as well,, Its a pretty broad claim for them to make I think... I would also worry as Im sure there is a much more intense heat in an enclosed oven rather than a more open fireplace.... Though "IF" it were true... I certainly wouldnt want to be the one to try to find out... I am surprised too they also dont recommend the usual 28 day cure as you would for normal concrete....
        Mark

Comment

After doing some calculations of the amount of cement I would need for my foundation slab and the slab for the outdoor fireplace, I called a couple cement companies around here and found one small mom and pop shop that did mostly curbs......they fit in small jobs like mine throughout the week. So I had the guy come by and look over what I need. Basicly for a 6 inch slab (I may end up needing more than that), if I have created the forms, and have the rebar standing by, he will cut the rebar, place a mat in the form to hold the rebar up and place the rebar, do the pour and I will end up spending about 40 bucks extra. CHA-CHING!! sold. So I will probably have my foundation slab for both the fireplace and pizza oven done in the next week. I can't wait. woooohoooo. Might actually have pizza by the end of summer.

I have a question or two....if I build an insulated enclosure, how hot does the outside of it get.....the front end of the oven will be sitting under the Pergola we are building and the chimney will extend up thru it.....I want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for a "hold my beer, watch this" kind of moment. Also...do you put anything between the brick oven floor and the concrete slab? thanks for all the comments and advice so far.

WCD
          WCD

My slow journey to pizza.
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ing-12769.html

Comment

Here are the insulation efficiency values from James: Insulation Efficiency

If you are building an enclosure this provides several advantages over an igloo style, the most obvious of which is protection from the elements. Insulation-wise, you can properly insulate the chimney area where dome meets inner arch and chimney thereby preventing any heat from escaping there. Also, with the loose perlite and/or vermiculite and ceramic blankets you get much more insulation taking into consideration thickness of blankets and distance of enclosure wall to the dome. The enclosure wall should not get hot but at the most warm. I think a lot of enclosed oven builders can attest that you can hardly feel the heat of a 800F oven or at the least the exterior is cooler than an igloo style with standard 2-3 inches of ceramic blanket.

As for your second question, you should definitely have some insulation boards on top of concrete slab. If you do not sandwich any insulation between concrete slab and cooking floor, the slab will serve as a heatsink drawing heat away from the cooking floor, making your oven very inefficient at retaining heat.
            Last edited by Raffy; 04-13-2010, 11:27 PM.
            sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
            WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
            Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

WC DAD...
              You should put at least 4 inches of vermicrete or pericrete on top of the slab,, before you put the oven floor down,, I got some vermiculite board off ebay when I was building, Really cheap.. so I put 1 inch of board and 4 inches of vermicrete,,

If you havent read thru the free plans already,, do here's the link Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven

Here also are a few pics of how I did it,,,,,

Cheers
              Mark
              Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

the front end of the oven will be sitting under the Pergola we are building and the chimney will extend up thru it
                You will need to maintain the clearances you would with any other frame structure: It's two inches between a masonry chimney and the framing of the roof, if you're using a stainless flue unit, the manufacturer will specify the clearances needed. Also, your chimney will have to be two feet above anything within ten feet.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

ok so I was making it harder than I needed to as far as putting images in here.
                  I have to make my forms tomorrow morning. I probly won't be able to get the concrete guy to come out until early next week but I'm going to have the forms done tomorrow morning anyway. That way I can start on some of the grading that needs to be done. How long did you folks have to wait after the slab is poured before you dry stack and fill your blocks?
                  Last edited by WoodchuckDad; 04-16-2010, 04:27 AM. Reason: still screwing up images
                  WCD

Comment

WCD

Comment

I guess I have made my introductions...so should I move to the pictures thread or another thread to post updates on my build?
                      WCD

Comment

Hey WCD
                        You are off to a good start,, I waited a week before drystacking and filling my blocks.. I believe 7 days is minimum and I was at work during the week anyway.. Im sure if Im wrong someone will post the correct answer..

If you have the picture thing figured out.. I say start a new post under Pompeii Oven construction and you will have a nice continuing reference and thread for the future.. You can always refer back to for info or ideas.. I will certainly be following your build..

You can start an album as well,,,
                        Cheers
                        Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X