• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first oven build...HELLO from Texas

That's encouraging!

Comment

Actually, Type S already has sand in it. I use 3 parts Type S to 2 parts Morter Clay or Fire Clay. I was willing to switch to heatstop if necessary, but since the oven interiors haven't been cracking, the ease of use of this mortar mix and how it seems to fuse so nicely when fired...I'm gonna leave a sleeping dog lie.

We have to put a little morter between the bricks, but the mortar joint is about 1/16th inch.

Comment

The Type S cement I used has no sand in it but I'm sure Type S mortar does.

Well to update...

...the past couple of weeks I have been doing small curing fires when ever I get the opportunity, increasing the size for every fire. A small crack developed in the front arch that goes through the vent following the joints and terminates at the dome. I'll just call that crack, "oven personality"

I cooked dinner for two in the last curing fire I did the other night. Yams, bake ravioli, and some pan roasted steak. It was a slow progression fire till the dome temperature was up to 600*F, nothing too big but I did keep it going for about 2 hours. I played with the IF temperature gun watching the cold and hot spots. So far so good.
        I might go for pizza temps this weekend...
        Oven build 2010
        Masonry veneer finishout 2012

Comment

"Type S" is a strength designation. Type S mortar has sand, Type S cement does not (but will produce Type S mortar when mixed 1-3 with sand).

Comment

Frank, I believe that the net effect of your novel mortar mix is that you spent a few extra dollars.

If you didn't have a few extra dollars to spend, let's face it, you would not be building a wood fired oven.

Enjoy.

If your oven falls down some day, you could rebuild and double your fun.....This may not happen, however, in your lifetime......

Comment

In conclusion...

8 pizzas Friday night, INCREDIBLE!
              Saturday 1/2 cord of seasoned oak, picked up and stacked under oven, laborious...
              Sunday, 5 loaves bread with 10 pizzas, FANTASTICALLY IMPRESSIVE!

A big THANK YOU to everyone on Forno Bravo Forum!

Oven build 2010

Comment

The oven performs better than expected, We stopped making pizzas at 8pm last night, 12 hours later the oven is heat soaked at 410*F.
                I am very pleased and now I do know why I built the oven. Note the crack in the front arch, it terminates at the dome. I will treat it like an expansion joint fill it with caulk and cover it with limestone.

Last edited by FrankT; 01-10-2011, 08:27 AM. Reason: heat soaked at 410*F.
                Oven build 2010

Comment

Excellent job and the bread looks wonderful!
                  Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

The bread looks amazing, as does the pizza. I am seeing more and more ovens with lighting. I did not get the memo but it is a great idea. One that I need to heed myself.

Comment

Good looking pizzas and bread! I am sure the oven will keep improving as it continues to cure as well!
                      Congrats!
                      My Oven Thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

You (and your oven) have arrived!

Your pictures are great! Happy to see you enjoying your new oven. The crack is minor, you will find a solution. The bread. The bread finds me salivating and wanting to taste it from my own oven, yet incomplete.

mn8tr, I'm planning to make a long oven landing, 18 inches at the back and as wide at the front as I can manage....With some kind of lighting in there.
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                        X