• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Post here

Baghdadis buying up clay ovens - USATODAY.com

Comment

Originally posted by SDDuc996 View Post
      New to the forum and to brick ovens and masonry.
      I am currently in Afghanistan and we've been talking about building a brick oven on our base for morale reasons. It also helps that one of our guys use to own a pizza place in New York and said he'd "do it up right".

I'm trying to find some of the easiest designs, so that we could make one easily here.
      I have a friend in Kabul...Lives at Qxlxx. He has built one of the FornoBravo ovens and has vast building experience....He is consultant to my build and can help you if you want some input. PM me for the particulars.

Its a small world
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
        I'm making a lot of assumptions as I respond to your query:
        1) It may be a short lived installation
        2) It may need to service a larger group of people in one firing
        3) It will be used for more than baking pizza
        4) It may be hard to find some of the 'usual' components
        5) Who knows what other variables you are dealing with

Of course, the consensus here is that a domed oven is the best all around oven style for the homeowner. Serving more people at one time, or, in a location that may not be there in a year, you may choose to consider another style oven. Aside from building an oven on a trailer, you might want an oven like This or This.

Whichever oven you choose, try to get some insulation under the cooking floor of the oven. That will provide the extended cooking time you will need for the larger groups. The information on each phase of your oven build is available here, I trust 99% of the advice I've seen given here.

Well, there you have a stab in the dark, HTH.
        Thanks for the reply.
        1. It will be here as long as Americans are on this base. Obviously I cannot
        go into details about where or how long.
        2. We're not going to build it for general use. We have another base to go
        to for dining. This will be more for "morale" or whenever we have the
        supplies to do it. That being said, between 2-20 people intermittantly.
        3. It would basically be used for pizza, maybe Na'an at times.
        4. Definitely hard to find usual components. I'm hoping for a "caveman build"
        or something that if need be we could have one of our terps buy locally.
        5. We're definitely NOT in an area where supplies can be easily obtained.

I've got a 1' x 3' patch of Kentucky Grass I've taken over nurturing for a
        friend so we definitely try to keep our morale up. Building a brick oven would help. I don't think baking supplies will be too big an issue as one of our guy's
        has a hook-up at the DFAC (dining facility).

Any info on an easy build would be appreciated.

Comment

You have my e-mail....Lets talk some more
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

SDDUC,

You can't get much easier than what I did. Check my link at the bottom of this post.
            Last edited by Tman1; 12-21-2010, 12:34 PM.
            My oven (for now):
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Working...
            X