Bricks & stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bricks & stuff

Ha ha! After the long hours I anticipate putting into this oven I expect I might be proud enough to do the same once it's finished.
    I doubt I will find such specialized bricks such as the Arch bricks you mentioned but I will try
    Bob

Always ready for pizza

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ing-build.html

Comment

Do these specs look familiar to anyone as far as...are they the right thing

Place of Origin: Hebei China (Mainland) Shape: Brick Material: Alumina Block
      SiO2 Content (%): Max 43% Al2O3 Content (%): Min 50% Model Number: QN-26
      Brand Name: QR color: white
      Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Originally posted by Filthymutt View Post
        Do these specs look familiar to anyone as far as...are they the right thing

Place of Origin: Hebei China (Mainland) Shape: Brick Material: Alumina Block
        SiO2 Content (%): Max 43% Al2O3 Content (%): Min 50% Model Number: QN-26
        Brand Name: QR color: white
        That alumina content is roughly consistant with what we call medium duty fire brick (desireable). I'd expect that those bricks would work just fine. Very small risk that they won't be perfect. It may be a moot point if that is all that is available to you at a reasonable cost
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hi Dirty Dog,

Sorry I couldn't resist the name change. Do a search for Firebrick SK-34 those are the ones I used, the higher Alumina% ones are used for kiln, blast furnish, smelter, where very high heat is needed but heat retention is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
            That alumina content is roughly consistant with what we call medium duty fire brick (desireable). I'd expect that those bricks would work just fine. Very small risk that they won't be perfect. It may be a moot point if that is all that is available to you at a reasonable cost
            I second that opinion. My bricks are about 42% alumina and have worked just fine (with my few firings to date).

I think that nice, straight, chip-free bricks are about as important as the alumina % difference.... Oh, and mine varied in height about 1-2mm which gives more trouble when installing the floor. If you cand hand-pick 'em, that's golden.
            May your Margheritas be always light and fluffy.

Comment

When initially researching brick suppliers I seem to recall a lot of refractory products and firebrick in particular being manufactured cheaply in China. There are some options here that include tapered bricks:

Fire Brick, China Fire Brick, Fire Brick Manufacturers, China Fire Brick Suppliers

Look around a bit and I'll bet you can find a number of cost-effective options for bricks. Not so sure about masonry blades though.

Comment

Made in China etc may become very popular with New Zelaand & Australian WFO builders as locally available fire bricks are ridiculous prices compare to US equiv. Shipping a few pallets from China would probably be very cost effective.

Comment

Thanks guys, I will do some more searching

And Laurentius... Thanks I had tried to get the name Dirty Dog on several sites before here but was always told...already taken, so I ended up with filthymutt. And then to avoid forgetting the name I just used it on every site I'd used afterwards. DirtyDog or even DirtyBobDog were my preferred names just never got to use them!
                  Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Darley are the local makers in Melbourne, expensive though.
                    Some good reading on their site.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

My other problem, probably the main problem is that all of these items that I have found so far have only been found through Google and are on sites such as Alibaba, or MadeinChina. Which means these are only wholesale suppliers who list the minimum purchase by the Ton or container load.
                      I think the bigger challenge will be to find someplace that will sell to me, retail.
                      Have to wait and see I suppose.
                      Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Hi DD,

Do what I did, find a potter or kiln maker or a place that sells ceramic or pottery objects they can direct to sources.

Comment

Good idea but I had a bit of a revelation yesterday. Although the Chinese really don't bake anything, they do have Beijing Roast Duck or Peking duck as it's often still "mistakenly" called.
                          I have seen in nicer BJD restaurants BRICK OVENS! Woo hoo!
                          this might be easier than I thought!
                          Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Yes, that would be good for locating bricks, but most likely clay bricks instead of fire bricks and I'm sure that couldn't help in the location of ceramic fiber boards or blankets. Here a contact from a ceramic fiber manufactory company China, he was very helpful me, but the freight cost was beyond my limit. Ask him where you can purchase his product within China. Amos Guo cyf@jinyuco.com
                            He may be of help with the bricks also.

Comment

Hey Filthy,

Any chance of you posting a pic or two of these Chinese restaurant brick ovens? I'll bet there's a ton of us who would like to see them!
                              John

Comment

Thanks for the contact. I will look into it for sure. But I doubt the ovens I saw would've been using clay bricks. These were full on brick ovens in 5 star type establishments. Unfortunately they probably were not built on premises. Most likely they were purchased commercial brick ovens which I guess is of no help to me in my search. So I will be looking into your source soon. Thanks
                                Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Working...
                                X