Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire brick question

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I hope someone can help with this question. I live in Taiwan, and I thought I had the right bricks. I have to convert from F to C. I just wanted to make sure I had the right bricks and asked if they were good to 500C and they said sure, they're good up to 800C which is about 1475 F.

I've asked around and it looks like they don't make the low duty firebricks here. I saw in the plans that the high duty bricks should be avoided.

I'd appreciate any advice, because I've already rounded up all the other materials, and was set to go.
    Andy

Re: fire brick question

So far so good. Now for the weight a typical brick should be about 8 pounds/ 3.6 kg. If it is lighter then you are probably looking at an insulating fire brick not a fire brick.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me,

I'm certain its not an insulating brick. They showed me some bricks the same size, but they're really light and can toss them easily. So those higher temp bricks are ok. The plans looked like it was saying to stay away from the higher temp ones.
      Thanks
      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by andy2 View Post
        I just wanted to make sure I had the right bricks and asked if they were good to 500C and they said sure, they're good up to 800C which is about 1475 F.

I've asked around and it looks like they don't make the low duty firebricks here. I saw in the plans that the high duty bricks should be avoided.

Andy
        I think in the plans there is differentiation between low, medium and high. Low and medium are ok, with low being preferable for most due to cheaper cost only. I think 1475 F or 800C would qualify as medium. Considering your oven will be pushing over 800C in the dome anyway, I'd buy those and get building.

Comment

Ok, good. Thanks so much. I thought I was going to have scrap it all. My Father is coming from Tulsa to Taiwan in 2 weeks to help me out with it.
          Look forward to putting some pictures up here.
          Thanks
          andy

Comment

Working...
          X